139 - Create a Joomla! v 1.5 Twitter Module

Google's Highly Open Participation Program tries to get young students into Open Source and Joomla! specifically. Everyone is welcome, there are not limits. You can be a coder, documenter, tester, translator to help out. Jump in and start helping!
benhiller
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

139 - Create a Joomla! v 1.5 Twitter Module

Post by benhiller » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:49 am

Hello, I have claimed task 139, which to code a module that will display Twitter updates. The complete description is:
One line summary
Create a Joomla! v 1.5 Twitter Module

Describe the task.
SlideShare is a very popular social networking environment for sharing
presentations on the web. (This seems like it was mixed up.)
Create a Joomla! module to:
  # Define Twitter name and password, logon to twitter;
  # Show Twitter status and public timeline in a module.

Resources:
    * Twitter
  # Home - http://twitter.com/
  # API -
http://groups.google.com/group/twitter- ... umentation
    * Examples
  # JP Loh Twitter Integration with eLGG -
http://elgg.org/mod/plugins/plugin.php?id=48
  # WordPress http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/mytwitter/
    * Coding resources:
  # The core code! :-)
  # Plugins - http://forum.joomla.org/index.php?topic=233628
  # Model View Controller -
http://dev.joomla.org/component/option, ... orld_mvc1/
  # Modules and Components - http://www.jlleblanc.com/blogcategory/0/
  # Internationalization -
http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic ... msg1102267
    * IRC #joomlaGHOP on freenode

Skills needed
    * Knowledge of PHP
    * Knowledge of Joomla! v 1.5 Extension Development
    * Creativity and problem solving skills

Difficulty
Advanced

Work Product
    * Installable Joomla! v 1.5 extension(s) with internationalization
support.

Licensing
All code must be created using the GNU General Public License version 2.
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-license ... .html#SEC4
Documentation written for this task must be made available under the
Joomla! Electronic Documentation License.

Extra Credit (Optional)

Time Limit
4 weeks.
You can see it on Google Code here.

I have completed one task before and I look forward to this one.

Claimed Dec 19

Google Task
Last edited by AmyStephen on Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

benhiller
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: 139 - Create a Joomla! v 1.5 Twitter Module

Post by benhiller » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:10 pm

I have begun working on the module. I looked at the Wordpress plugin linked to in resources, and I see it uses SimplePie and also libcurl to work. Can I assume libcurl is installed?
Also, for SimplePie it requires the user to create a 'cache' directory in the root directory of the server. Is this OK, or should I find a way to code the module with a different library?
Finally, for internationalization support, I understand that I make a en-GB.mod_twitter.ini file, but how do I include this in the module. Do I make a folder called language/en-GB in mod_twitter, or do I just leave the file in mod_twitter and let the user place it in the correct directory?
Thanks, Ben.

EDIT: Actually, after looking at the API more, I realized I can use XML instead of RSS and use the built-in Expat parser. So, ignore my second question.
Also, a few options I thought I should include: Make each twitter update a link to that update on twitter.com?
Choose between several formats: "Message - date" or "Date: message", are there any others you'd like to have?
Last edited by benhiller on Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:17 am

No reason for SimplePie  or libcurl - you shouldn't have to update the Twitter status, but simply bring back a certain number of tweets, given a certain username and output the data into a list () within the module.

I would ask for Twitter username, number of twitters to display.

You really don't have to logon to twitter or update the status. (Sorry about the description.)

There is a plugin being developed that is updating twitter for posts. This would be the opposite end, where someone's twitters - current status and public timeline - would be retrieved and placed into a module.

Here's a post you might find helpful on Internationalization.

Hope that helps,
Amy :)

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:08 am

Ben -

Update? How you doing? Back at school and busy, I assume! There's always toooo much going on. If you are unable to complete the task, please let us know - that way, someone else can get a chance to try it. But, if you are working on it - or need help, please let us know that, as well.

Take care,

benhiller
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by benhiller » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:09 am

I am very sorry for not updating you sooner. I have been very busy with school and college applications, and I haven't had much time to work on the module. I will provide my first version by this Wednesday.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:11 pm

Thanks for the update, Ben. It is indeed a very challenging time for seniors. Look forward to your first version.

benhiller
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by benhiller » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:33 am

Here is my first version. I think it satisfies the basic requirements, but it seems unfinished to me right now, so if you have any ideas for features I will try and add them. One feature I want to include is the option to display after the tweet a short sentence that says "posted 3 hours ago" or "posted at 9pm on 1/8". Please tell if you like this idea.

Also, what is the proper way to include in the .ini language file?

Sorry again for the delay, I hope my module is good so far.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by benhiller on Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

benhiller
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by benhiller » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:03 am

Hi,

I realize that the time is running out for this task, so I was wondering if you had any feedback? It would be very helpful, and I could fix any problems you have with the module. Thanks!

depresz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by depresz » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:51 pm

Yeah, more than one feedback  ;D

I can see following message:
JInstaller::install: File '...mod_twitter/language/en-GB/en-GB.mod_ghop_categories.ini' does not exist
Why? You have to put en-GB.mod_ghop_categories.ini into the language/en-GB directory. Create in your module pack new dir language, and inside language dir create en-GB dir. Enter to en-GB dir and put here en-GB.mod_ghop_categories.ini file. Now language will be installed.

Text is a little moved on right side (Opera 9.25 and 9.5 beta). It wastes precious space. Take a look:

Oh, and would be really cool if addresses would be links.

In the future (if you will develop this extension), think about reading datas from UserMeta System Plugin (if user is logged). If user has installed Twitter Status Plugin (created by me), account username could be change to entried by himself in Personal Configuration.

Thankz,
Tomasz Dobrzyñski
Last edited by depresz on Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Great Hacking Opportunity Project
numbers? sure! 3d 22h on forum, about 500h of work <- this is real GHOP

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:01 pm

Having the time of posting would be a big plus in my book. Works as advertised thus far.

When I uninstalled I got an error
JFTP::delete: Bad response

Along iwth uninstall module successful.

Not sure what that means, but I haven't gotten it before when uninstalling modules.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:58 am

You do not need to specify the folders of your languages - Joomla! knows where these files go. You are working too hard! ;)

Also, you had a category file name - and should name it after your extension, in this case mod_twitter, so that you do not have conflict with someone else's file.

en-GB.mod_twitter.ini
You can also translate the labels, in addition to the description files. Same way.

Your code is beautifully written, nicely organized. The extension does as it should do. Excellent work.

I encourage you to work with Thomasz in directions he is describing for you. If you have observed the various extensions being built, wherever possible, the tasks have been defined in such a manner that these would work with the Kevin Devine's User Meta Data. Already, those of you who do so, are a team. Your offerings are compatiable and you are stronger together, can continue to enhance and build on each other's work.

depresz has done a number of tasks. He's building some connections up, even outside of the GHOP group. And he's starting to develop some vision on this. I hope you work with him on this broader application. You guys could continue to have some fun and learn and create opportunity for yourself.

Good stuff - you do great work.

benhiller
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by benhiller » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:37 am

I appreciate the feedback. Unfortunately, due to time constraints, I have been unable to integrate the module into the UserMeta System Plugin or the Twitter Status Plugin. I fixed the main bug with the misplaced language, and the module does successfully display the latest Tweets of a user, with some customizability. I will try to improve this module in the future to add in links to the Tweet on Twitter, or show when the Tweet was posted, but I don't have the time to do that right now. I think that it is ready to undergo final review.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:54 am

Ben -

Would you mind completely implementing the fix I gave you?

Thanks!

benhiller
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by benhiller » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:09 pm

Sorry, I forgot to change that. It is fixed now, thanks :).

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:34 pm

Thanks Ben.

Please upload your extension to your Google task page and I will mark it closed.

Appreciate your work on this extension. One of the very cool things about the GPL is that it liberates the work for others to take it further, if they need to do so. When you consider how many people have contributed to the Joomla! code base over the years, each person improving it in specific ways, each change advancing it for use by others, it is pretty mind-blowing how powerful liberating knowledge is. And, it is very encouraging to know that we can each give what we are able - and our work has value for years to come.

Do not worry if you didn't have time to add those integrations. The work you did accomplish is excellent and will not have to be redone. It is there to use and it is there to build on.

Thank you very much for your personal contributions to the Joomla! community. You rock!

benhiller
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by benhiller » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:18 pm

Thanks, I have submitted it to Google Code. I really enjoyed GHOP and I hope to contribute to Joomla in the future.

Also, I created a Joomla Code project for this module, so others can find it easily.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:25 pm

Excellent! Maybe you would be willing to have a team if someone wanted to expand the functionality. JoomlaCode enables that type of participation. Very cool.

Thanks again!

GreatGatsby
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by GreatGatsby » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Hey guys. I am interested in adding this module, but when I attempt to install the thing I get the following message:

Error! Could not find an XML setup file in the package.

I can't find this module on the Joomla Extensions page, or anything else like it. Is there some other way to accomplish showing my last X tweets on my Joomla site?

(Joomla 1.5.0, PHP 4.4.8, MySQL 5.0.45)
Jason Boyette

Return to “Google's Highly Open Participation Contest”