168 - Implement Avatar/Gravatars for Joomla! v 1.5

Google's Highly Open Participation Program tries to get young students into Open Source and Joomla! specifically. Everyone is welcome, there are not limits. You can be a coder, documenter, tester, translator to help out. Jump in and start helping!
AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: 168 - Implement Avatar/Gravatars for Joomla! v 1.5

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:58 am

Depresz -

I am just letting you know, I plan to take a close look at this tomorrow.  This is the last week - Sunday is the last day for competition. So, be thinking about winding things up - you can always continue on, of course, but get your work ready for turning in to the judge.

You are doing great - and hopefully having fun. Glad you joined us.

Thanks, again, Yuri, you have been a great help,
Amy :)

depresz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by depresz » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:43 pm

You are doing great - and hopefully having fun. Glad you joined us.
Sure that I have fun! It's pleasure and fun for me.

Yeah... not much time. I have to wind up everything. I'll fix only problem with gravatars in comments (guest). Additional things, I mean compatibility with other comments , will be done "short" after GHOP Contest, I think middle of February. I must implement Calendar Icon, first, and update Polish version of manual installation guide for Polish Joomla!.

Today, I will provide new code (guess fixed)  :pop

Cheers!
Great Hacking Opportunity Project
numbers? sure! 3d 22h on forum, about 500h of work <- this is real GHOP

depresz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by depresz » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:40 pm

I improved code. Rly improved  8)

Latest stable 1.09 version (as can you see Joomla Code profile has just created):
http://joomlacode.org/gf/download/frsre ... r-1.09.zip

Simple instruction how to install, in plugin's description.
Tested on two servers (local and public) with every possible way.

BTW: install/uninstall no problem

Have a good testing,
Tomasz
Last edited by depresz on Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:41 am

I've tested avatar-gravatar-1.09.zip now:

1. I see, that you need help in English language translation: both extension itself and its description. This is very important for the good first impression of your work. I'm not so good in English, but maybe some English-speaking member of the Joomla! community will help you?!

2. Some problems in guest's avatars:
- In img tag of avatars (for comments and for Articles) you use 'Name' attribute of the 'guest' Registered User, but you should use 'created_by_alias' attribute of the Article (or Comment), if it's present.
- In img tag for Articles you don't remember, that 'guest' user is not real (like you do for Comments)... So, When I see comment as an article (I can do this through, e.g. Latest News/Latest Comments) I don't see this guest's Avatar, but I see avatar of one 'guest' registered user :(.
So, I think, you should add the notion of 'Guest' to your extension just like it is done in yvcomment (and add such parameter) and don't use yvcomment's parameters for this...

Good luck!
Last edited by yvolk on Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Text of all my messages is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html

Marieke92
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Marieke92 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:59 pm

Hi Tomasz,

I saw you were struggling with the English language. I also saw that you didn't use the special characters, have a look over here: http://webdesign.about.com/od/localizat ... des-pl.htm

Perhaps we can start working together right now :) Why should we wait until GHOP is over ;)
I'll first finish my own document (about the extension core parameters), and will then see what I can do for you, English language, Polish UTF8 coding and perhaps Dutch translations.

Looking forward to hearing you about this idea,
Marieke
Greetz, Marieke
Joomla! Documentation Working Group | Joomla! Bug Squad Member | Joomla! Development Working Group
1.6 Help Screen Project Leader
Joomla!Community (Dutch Community) Documentation Team leader

depresz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by depresz » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:39 pm

CODING
I can't implement 'created_by_email' variable from "The News" level. 'metadata' array of yvcomment doesn't exist in this section (it's very strange). When try to read metadata in "The News", I received following error: Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$metadata in ...\plugins\system\avatar_gravatar.php on line 173
Strangest thing is, when I click "read more", I can read metadata and Avatar or Gravatar loads.

Code: Select all

$metadata_registry = new JRegistry();
$metadata_registry->loadINI($row->metadata);
$author_mail = $metadata_registry->getValue('created_by_email');
echo $author_mail;
... so I can't fix #2.2. BTW: Last comments in News section?

Oooops! created_by_alias done. I didn't notice that ;)

TRANSLATING
Oh, my language... don't say about it. Yeah, I'm still learning. That's why I decided to ignore some documentation tasks (like Write documentation...). Tribute Marieke ;D
Why should we wait until GHOP is over
Why? Because I have a LOT of work ;D My days are full of work.

I really need help with English case.

Problem with joomlacode account (slow servers) so I attached updated plugin here. Documentation will be available tommorow (Tommorow also my 18th birthday)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Marieke92
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Marieke92 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:47 pm

depresz wrote: TRANSLATING
Oh, my language... don't say about it. Yeah, I'm still learning. That's why I decided to ignore some documentation tasks (like Write documentation...). Tribute Marieke ;D
Why should we wait until GHOP is over
Why? Because I have a LOT of work ;D My days are full of work.

I really need help with English case.
I meant I could help you (already) with your language. I'll see what I can do for you :)
Greetz, Marieke
Joomla! Documentation Working Group | Joomla! Bug Squad Member | Joomla! Development Working Group
1.6 Help Screen Project Leader
Joomla!Community (Dutch Community) Documentation Team leader

depresz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by depresz » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:51 pm

I don't see my language mistakes so I would be really happy when you give me an indication what's wrong with translation en-GB file.

Thanks, Tomasz

depresz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by depresz » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:33 pm

Edit:
I "improved" en-BG and pl-PL (±¿¼æñ and othet Polish chars). New package (1.10 with language improvements) available on Joomla Code: http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/avatar_gravatar/.

I will have English support thanks Roman Blanty. He's really great guy! He helps me when I need help. New language file (and new package) will be available tommorow. Documentation: day after tommorow.

Thanks,
Tomasz
Last edited by depresz on Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:09 pm

I just love having all of these wonderful, wonderful blogging extensions!

I want to look a bit more at this - but I wanted you to know that I did start and it makes me very happy. I really appreciate the work you have done and I am one who *will* personally benefit from your efforts. Sincere thanks!

depresz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by depresz » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:52 pm

AmyStephen wrote: I just love having all of these wonderful, wonderful blogging extensions!

I want to look a bit more at this - but I wanted you to know that I did start and it makes me very happy. I really appreciate the work you have done and I am one who *will* personally benefit from your efforts. Sincere thanks!
You have just gave me nice birthday present. I am glad that you are happy ;)
I am creating documentation to this plugin (progress about 40-50%; fast moving). After consultation with Roman Blaty, I'll provide here link to this doc (@ JC), probably on Friday evening. It will be kind of suprise (for me and you), because documentation will be very professional ... oooops, now, it will be not suprise ;D (it's something like an another task :P; "Write documentation for Avatar/Gravatar Plugin" :D). Without documentation, you can't discover 100% of this plugin. Stuff in docs are VERY important. I mean how to prepare template, how to configure UserMeta, how to configure yvComment, etc

BTW: Maybe after GHOP we (as community) can create own, Joomla! contest [pre-students]. This is great CMS. I just don't want to leave this project. It's wonderful!

depresz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by depresz » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:27 am

It's Saturday, last day of my competition (?). It was my last one, but biggest 7th task for GHOP Contest. I have done that. I am so glad that I could participate in this wonderful project. Thanks GHOP, I am welcoming in the Polish Joomla! Center [ joomla.pl ]. So I will stick with Joomla! ;)

Project's account on Joomla Code:
http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/avatar_gravatar

Account on Joomla Extensions Directory:
http://extensions.joomla.org/component/ ... Itemid,35/ (edited; updated link)

Avatar/Gravatar v. 1.11 package:
http://joomlacode.org/gf/download/frsre ... r-1.11.zip

Documentation to the Avatar/Gravatar v. 1.11:
http://joomlacode.org/gf/download/docma ... r-1.11.pdf

Technical stuff: No install/Uninstall errors
Ready for final check.

Thanks folks!
Cheers
Last edited by depresz on Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:27 pm

Thomasz,

You have been a fantasic contributor! I'm glad you'll continue to be involved with Joomla!. Be prepared for a lot of downloads today :).
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

depresz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by depresz » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:35 am

Yeah, thats' right. Plugin is VERY popular. People still send an e-mails and want to kill me that I didn't create this plugin for Joomla! 1.0 xD. I knew that it will be hot.
This extension is my favourite.

BTW: I have small question: can I add links to JED and JoomlaCode for previous, coding tasks? (I had accounts but I always forget to attach those links ;) )

Thanks,
Tomasz
Last edited by depresz on Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:57 am

Yes, absolutely add them. :)
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:14 am

Tomasz -

It has been a real honor working with you. We will enjoy seeing you around the forums and getting to know you more. You do great work and I, for one, will be using each of these wonderful extensions you have provided. I hope that this continues to be fun for you. It you are not having fun, walk away from it for awhile.

It will be important to set good boundaries, too, on how end users interact with you. I would caution against direct email. Your work has the potential of being used by thousands of people. I see you have a thread in the open source extensions area - perhaps you might encourage people to post there and make a policy of not accepting email or IMs. We are the ones who are benefiting from your work - you are not obligated to offer any support, at all. I do encourage you to do so, but not to the point that you feel taken advantage of.

If you ever need help or support or you have questions, do not hesitate to contact me. I've watched you and some of the others interacting and I encourage that to continue, as well.

Thank you for coming to Joomla!.

depresz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by depresz » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:28 am

Avatar/Gravatar file updated on Google.

No, no, no! It has been a real honor working with YOU!. I tried to work with Open Soure products few times but I didn't know "how to to it". You have learnt me everything, what I need know:
  • how to write an code
  • documenation to this code
  • check that written code is working (unit test)
and finally
  • HOW TO HELP PEOPLE
I implement those things into my life.

I must say: Thank you!

MiCCAS
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by MiCCAS » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:57 am

depresz wrote: Avatar/Gravatar file updated on Google.

No, no, no! It has been a real honor working with YOU!. I tried to work with Open Soure products few times but I didn't know "how to to it". You have learnt me everything, what I need know:
  • how to write an code
  • documenation to this code
  • check that written code is working (unit test)
and finally
  • HOW TO HELP PEOPLE
I implement those things into my life.

I must say: Thank you!
I completely agree with you mate, Amy should be sincerely rewarded for all her help - either way she has my respect.

You did an awesome job mate, well done! This is a brilliant addition to Joomla! which I am sure will be widely popular.
MiCCAS.net Free PC Services

that1bander
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by that1bander » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:47 pm

Hey guys, I know this is an old thread, but it was the only one about this extension. First off, I love it, and have been wanting this function forever. I am having a bit of an issue, though.

When a story is not on my front page (when you view it as sorted by it's category, for example) it displays a few of the default gravatars, and monkeys with the (css?) of my site, making a white border around the main content area.

Any ideas on how I could go about fixing this? Thanks a bunch.

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:08 am

that1bander wrote:When a story is not on my front page (when you view it as sorted by it's category, for example) it displays a few of the default gravatars, and monkeys with the (css?) of my site, making a white border around the main content area.

I faced the same problem with my yvComment extension, and I figured out, that now Joomla! calls content plugins not only for article (that has id, author and may have avatar attached to it...), but in some additional cases (for text messages...)...

Anyway, to fix problem, that you mentioned, add these lines at the beginning of the 'onPrepareContent' function of the 'plugins/system/avatar_gravatar.php' file:

$ArticleID = 0;
		if (is_object( $row )) {
			if (isset( $row->id ))
			{
				$ArticleID = intval($row->id);
			}
		}
		if ($ArticleID == 0) {
			//echo '<div>' . print_r($row, true) . '</div>';
			return false;
		}
You may uncomment commented line to see, what caused additional avatars.

BTW: It's a pity, that depresz doesn't continue to develop this plugin (I also didn't find any support forum of this plugin)...
It's not an extension of a 'production' quality yet - it's just a nice toy... :pop

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:42 am

yvolk wrote: BTW: It's a pity, that depresz doesn't continue to develop this plugin (I also didn't find any support forum of this plugin)...
It's not an extension of a 'production' quality yet - it's just a nice toy... :pop
Yuri - that was a very rude comment. Wasn't it just last week that a serious security vulnerability was reported for your comment extension? That is far more indicative of not being 'production' quality than a display issue on a category blog page.

This is a young developer who's work I proudly use. Tomasz is the winner of this year's GHOP contest for the quantity and quality of work he accomplished in a short span of time. One of the main reasons we, as judges selected him was because he is always considerate and respectful of others at all times and he reminded us why it is an honor to contribute and, in doing so, encouraged us each to reach further.

Now, this is a contest forum. Please do not post or respond here. Thank you for your understanding.
Amy

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:42 am

AmyStephen wrote:...Wasn't it just last week that a serious security vulnerability was reported for your comment extension? That is far more indicative of not being 'production' quality than a display issue on a category blog page.
...Please do not post or respond here...
Hi, Amy!
If you want to discuss 'production quality' of yvComment, please _DO_ post to the yvComment's topic.
Sorry to litter your forum, but there is really no other place to discuss Avatar/Gravatar plugin :( . Please, post a link here to such topic, when it will be created (hopefully, by the Author).

ahn
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ahn » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:32 am

Anyway, to fix problem, that you mentioned, add these lines at the beginning of the 'onPrepareContent' function of the 'plugins/system/avatar_gravatar.php' file:

$ArticleID = 0;
		if (is_object( $row )) {
			if (isset( $row->id ))
			{
				$ArticleID = intval($row->id);
			}
		}
		if ($ArticleID == 0) {
			//echo '<div>' . print_r($row, true) . '</div>';
			return false;
		}

Dear yvolk , any friend
I have got the same problem. My Joomla version's 1.5. I am happy to read your post, but I could not fix it.

I use Notepad ++, open file avatar_gravatar.php, then find the onPrepareContent. And then when I insert your code, but it's still error.

Here is the original code of avatar_gravatar.php

if( ($user->guest==0) && ($user->getParam( 'user_is_set_header_avatar', '1' )==1) )
		{
			if( JRequest::getVar('view')=='frontpage' )
				return '<br>&nbsp;';
		}
	}

function onPrepareContent(&$row, &$params)

{
		global $mainframe;
		global $option;
Could you please tell me exactly where you put the code? Thank so much.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:55 pm

Any extension may be discussed in the extensions forum or of course on joomlacode, which is the appropriate place to contact the developer and report bugs.

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:03 pm

Hi, I have good news!
I've just contacted with Tomasz (depresz), and he wrote, that he will open Avatar/Gravatars support forum thread after 18 of July.
Meanwhile, I'm attaching fixed 'plugins/system/avatar_gravatar.php' file ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ahn
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ahn » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:02 pm

yvolk wrote:Hi, I have good news!
I've just contacted with Tomasz (depresz), and he wrote, that he will open Avatar/Gravatars support forum thread after 18 of July.
Thank yvolk so much.

I hope that in the next version of this plugin, we have got the function that allow user upload their own avatars, and when we choose an image in the avatar list (type="imagelist", usermeta) we can see it immediately (like many forums) before submitting.

Again, thanks.

phillymantis
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by phillymantis » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:29 am

OK on the commentside the gravatar function is working perfect when i enter my gravatar email in the yvcomment

email section

but on the user side...when i log in ...my gravatar doesnt show

even after i altered the uploaded usermeta file and plugged my gravatar email into the username section

of the user manager...

sirknight115
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by sirknight115 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:54 am

that1bander wrote:Hey guys, I know this is an old thread, but it was the only one about this extension. First off, I love it, and have been wanting this function forever. I am having a bit of an issue, though.

When a story is not on my front page (when you view it as sorted by it's category, for example) it displays a few of the default gravatars, and monkeys with the (css?) of my site, making a white border around the main content area.

Hello,
I am having the same problem! Does anyone know how to fix this? I am using the new version of Avatar/Gravatars Plugin. Here is a example of my problem: http://www.moneyhelpsout.com/index.php? ... &Itemid=58 Could someone help me out with this problem?by the way I try to look for the php file in 'plugins/system/avatar_gravatar.php' and could not find it. Did they take this off with the new version?
Thank You
Ruben

stefan_joom_1
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by stefan_joom_1 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:07 am

yvolk wrote:Hi, I have good news!
Thank you! It works now fine for me! :)

Return to “Google's Highly Open Participation Contest”