TinyMCE 2.0 Spellchecker Plugin Instructions

Google's Highly Open Participation Program tries to get young students into Open Source and Joomla! specifically. Everyone is welcome, there are not limits. You can be a coder, documenter, tester, translator to help out. Jump in and start helping!
dpminusa
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

TinyMCE 2.0 Spellchecker Plugin Instructions

Post by dpminusa » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:12 pm

I am running Joomla 1.5.9 stable with PHP 5.28 and Apache 2.2. My users run IE 7. I am trying to get the Moxie spellchecker plugin 2.0.2 to work. No luck so far.

Here's what I have done:

1. I enabled Pspell and CURL in my PHP 5.22 install. Would prefer to use GoogleSpell, but.
2. I downloaded the Moxie 2.0.2 plugin and installed it in:
/plugins/editors/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/spellchecker
and tried to config it. I also added the spellchecker image to the img file in this directory.
3. I tried to add the spellchecker plugin and button reference to:
/plugins/editors/tinymce.php
4. I tried the information on the Moxie Wiki about this topic. Very sketchy.
If you follow it to the letter, even though it is obvious that it is not Joomla-oriented.
Tiny produces a blank page when tinyMCE.init fires.
5. I followed the Thread on this Forum. It provides some help but is a little out of date.
Some of the information referenced is not in 1.5.9. For example the config.php file does not
contain the classes referenced.

This should not be that hard. Tiny is designed to be modular. What is the current procedure that works with 1.5.9.

Exhausted on this, please help!

dpminusa

eastmarw
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: TinyMCE 2.0 Spellchecker Plugin Instructions

Post by eastmarw » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:15 am

I also have tried everthing that you have tried, and have experienced the same issues. Since I am a "NEWBIE" to Joomla it gets a little frustrating when trying to figure this out. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

dpminusa
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: TinyMCE 2.0 Spellchecker Plugin Instructions

Post by dpminusa » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:55 am

Wrote a long reply for you a few minutes ago. The forum server overloaded and crashed. Will try to recreate it for you again. I usually do a copy before I submit in case of this, but not this time.

There is a super enhanced version of TinyMCE in the extensions called JCE. I use it also. Spellchecking works as it comes as long as you have CURL enabled in your PHP config. It may work in RAW mode also, have not tried that.

I was able to get spellchecking running in JCE, and another editor I like for its formatting control called FCK, by turning on the CURL and Pspell PHP options. Not TinyMCE, however.

You can use the Admin screens, HELP -> SYSTEM INFO -> PHP INFO to check your settings. Overall you may want to make sure CURL and Pspell are enabled in PHP. GoogleSpell uses CURL. CURL also turns on messages from your extension suppliers that are helpful.

It may be that my tinyMCE.init is not complete, the spellchecking class does not succeed for configuration reasons, or the spellchecker button is missing. I tried to remedy these in different ways.

I found I had to add the spellchecker button to TinyMCE in its img folder in the spellchecker plugin directory. I copied the JCE spellchecker.gif to it. That did not make the difference.

I am going to plow through my Apache logs to see if there is anything there. If you do this remember to look in error.log since it has some system errors that are not domain specific.

You may be wondering why I am concerned about TinyMCE, if I have JCE and FCK already working. My users like it, and it is the default that Joomla uses and supports.

In the bigger picture, it may be important to use a supported/recommended editor if other issues come up. For example , I am trying to get the page break feature to work with some of my more complex pages. The bug squad likes it if you can verify with TinyMCE.

If you keep on this path, please let me know if you make any headway. You may have a different combination of extensions than me. If you get it working this may help me isolate my problem.

I have had some conflicts with different Mootools extensions running at the same time and had to change some things around. This is in the back of my mind here.

JQuery (also used a lot) has a conflict resolution scheme for these situation, not so Mootools as far as I have seen.

I hope some of this helps you.

Joomla is interesting because in some ways you get a great looking, very functional site up quickly. But in other ways there are a lot of details to its framework that are pretty thick PHP that stops you in your tracks.

I was doing a lot of JavaScript and Perl before I decided to try Joomla. Now I am beefing up my PHP skills again. Just ordered a couple of Joomla classics to read from Amazon today.

Cheers for now.

dpminusa

Return to “Google's Highly Open Participation Contest”