[FEATURE REQUEST] require unique mail yes/no function for users dropped in 1.5

kjclay
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] require unique mail yes/no function for us

Post by kjclay » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:05 pm

Hi Folks

I also need this option adding back in as soon as possible. I am running several scouting sites where I need to register several leaders with seperate accounts, who all live at the one address and share a common 'Family' email account.

I also have a couple of leaders who are totally 'ex directory' for very valid reasons that I wont go into, and so do not wish to have a registered email address, even a dummy one. So the option to not 'require' an email address is also very important.

kellyrued
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kellyrued » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:54 am

Just wanted to comment that we are also using the hack to allow single or multiple users to create one or more accounts all having the same email address. We do NOT like hacking Joomla core but it is mandatory until the decision regarding unique user email addresses is returned to the site super administrator (where it belongs).

We need to do this to support our Privacy Policy because otherwise anyone can use the registration form to fish around and see if people they know are registered members at our sites (such as a nosy spouse testing their spouse's email address which they don't have access to but know the address). For sites with sensitive information or adult content, this is not a good feature to put on the front end. There is no way to "fail discreetly" either since you would need to tell the user they need to put in a new email address or they would not understand why the registration wasn't working.

I don't see any problem at all with the forgot password features since it just uses the email address associated with the username in question. It will send to the right mailbox and it can identify which account/username generated the message so what's the big deal? Even in cases where multiple users are sharing a single email box, obviously if they trust each other enough to share mailboxes then they should not mind all having access to the password info.

We also want to allow our users the freedom to have and easily manage "alt" accounts since it is their choice and not our business to artificially limit them to one account per user/email (most users are easily able to circumvent such silly limitations anyhow). Forcing people to register alts with different email addresses is just creating needless busy work for some communities. :laugh:

Roan
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Roan » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:44 am

I'm rather at a loss as to why the option to have multiple emails was removed? What was the thinking behind that?

I'm in the process of developing a private site for a riding club I belong to. There are over 30 kids in the club from ages 5 to 18 -- this doesn't include the adults, either. I want them to have a SAFE place to interact with each other and have fun talking about horses. Right now most of the kids are on FaceBook and we parents do not like it.

I WANT all the emails to go to the parents address. That way they can keep tabs on what's going on and can feel safer about their kids being on my site.

I'm going to have to try the hack. . . but PLEASE, PLEASE put the option back in!!!!

Eileen

faisalsadaf
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by faisalsadaf » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:44 am

I also need this functionality to allow multiple accounts for a single email address. I am managing a Joomla/Moodle integrated portal, and can only allow parents to register their children (if they are of age 13 or younger, in accordance with COPPA requirements) for classes. We are using JFusion bridge, and using Joomla for user registration.

Thanks

JeLu
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JeLu » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:59 pm

I have upgraded from joomla 1.0.15 and using AEC and CB 1.2 and it has worked perfectly. But now I can´t register users with same email. With the old feature I could register users with the same email and when their subsriptions was going to expire I got the email. Then it was easy for me to send them a letter (no mail).

I vote for a choice!

Rapunzl
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Rapunzl » Mon May 18, 2009 12:29 am

I agree this choice should have remained in Joomla 1.5. It would be easy enough to add an information alert on the login notifying the user that members having the same email address also have password access... even though I would think this would be common sense to sharers of an email address anyway.
I love trying new things, but I hate when new things try me.

tinfoil
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tinfoil » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:09 pm

Big request for this feature to be re-added. Setup a site for a small town business directory with 1.5 and CB 1.2. Imported all users without a problem, but too many users are having troubles logging in due to shared email addresses. Also unable to edit the users. Another similar project on hold until there is a solid fix or until other software is investigated.

I understand the theory behind the decision, but those who made the decision should reconsider the effects it has. Sure, it may help stop spam, but we already have mandatory approval required for all new user accounts.

sspiderman
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by sspiderman » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:39 pm

OK, so am I correct in understanding that this is a hugely requested upgrade, but there has been no upgrade yet?

I am the super admin on several sites and I also NEED to have a "no editor" account so I don't inadvertantly blow up articles (custom forms, flash, etc.) that I have had to hardcode in html.

I do not want multiple Email addresses that I have to maintain, so I would like both user accounts to have the same email. I looked at the hacks in this thread, but they look exactly like the html already in my user.php file, am I missing something?

justhost
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by justhost » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:12 pm

There has been months and months of posts requesting this feature be added but not once a response from someone in the development team? Why is that?

I understand this is a "free code" but if the need is there and there appears to be an easy work around wouldn't the addition to the Joomla Code be just as easy? The default would be on of course so unique email would be required.

Joomla developers please respond.

Thank you.

Rottie_Grrrl
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Rottie_Grrrl » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:45 pm

amhazing wrote:Hi Guys,

Thanks guys for the two hacks above. For those of you who jump to the end of the thread for the answer I've reposted a summary of hacks below as a thank you (with a little bit of clarification):

First Hack from Malenex to make it possible to not require a unique email address when registering in Joomla 1.5 repeated below:

File to edit is: "libraries/joomla/database/table/user.php"
At line 174:

Code: Select all

// check for existing email
      $query = 'SELECT id'
         . ' FROM #__users '
         . ' WHERE email = '. $this->_db->Quote($this->email)
         . ' AND id != '. (int) $this->id
         ;
      $this->_db->setQuery( $query );
      $xid = intval( $this->_db->loadResult() );
      /** if ($xid && $xid != intval( $this->id )) {
      *   $this->setError( JText::_( 'WARNREG_EMAIL_INUSE' ) );
      *   return false;
      *}
      */
I tried this and got the following error message when I tried logging in as the admin:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end, expecting T_FUNCTION in /home/joomla_arlp/joomla.arottalove.org/libraries/joomla/database/table/user.php on line 342

Any ideas on what I did wrong?? Mind you I'm a total newbie and probably shouldn't be attempting hacks on my own :-[ but I really need this feature...
Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light

joneall
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by joneall » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:30 am

I also would like to see the feature of allowing multiple users with identical email addresses.

Here is my reason:

I do not want to log on to the front end with all permissions to submit an article. (This may be the case when I am travelling.) But at another time, I may need different permissions. So the need is to define different virtual users who are really one real user and therefore have the same email address.

So it's a security issue. Thanks for considering this..

cameronclark
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by cameronclark » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:46 am

Can we have some idea of when this facility is going to be reintroduced as it is now a major consideration point as to whether I continue can continue to use this great software. The above hack is great but it adds a unnecessary overhead in the development and future support and upgrade of these sites.

regards,
cameron

sspiderman
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by sspiderman » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:40 pm

ayhanlicina1 wrote:
cameronclark wrote:Can we have some idea of when this facility is going to be reintroduced as it is now a major consideration point as to whether I continue can continue to use this great software. The above hack is great but it adds a unnecessary overhead in the development and future support and upgrade of these sites.

regards,
cameron

I think unnecessary

Unless of course like Cameron said it adds extra programming to site development.

For 1 or 2 sites it's not a big deal, unfortunately we have started a project that will, over the next year include 200 plus sites, THAT makes it a big deal to have to add this to the list of things to do when developing our sites.

I understand building that many sites will be an extreme case, but if it was an option we could turn on/off, why not include it?

From surfing through the Joomla forum it seems there is a large number of people who would like this feature, so what is the issue with putting an option in the global configuration? So far the only reason the development team has given is the password recovery issue. If there is another larger programming issue, then please let us know.

sspider

pastvne
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pastvne » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:17 pm

Add my vote to re-establish this feature. Sites that service families see the need for it. 5 kids with their own accounts with different settings/preferences but one email address (mom). It's real world and there does not seem to be a good way to address this need using the standard Joomla user model.

Explaining to "mom" how to setup 5 email addresses and configure her email client to support multi-profiles and retrieve all 5 inboxes is... unrealistic.

-BD

trev
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by trev » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:39 pm

Pleas add my vote for the ability to have more than one user with the same email address.

rizman666
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by rizman666 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:30 am

guys...just delete the codes and it's disabled. But still, my vote is in for this. :)

ThierryM
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by ThierryM » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:18 am

Hi,
Add my vote for this enhancement (or more exactly, for the return of this possibility),
Regards,

Thierry
Joomla! 2.5.8

deannab
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by deannab » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:23 pm

here's another vote for not requiring a unique email. the site i'm trying to apply CB to also has people who share an email address. i'm not really qualified to do the hack, but have to give it a try anyway.

Return to “Feature Requests - White Papers - Archived”