How about a real Content Management System?

ecocentral
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

How about a real Content Management System?

Post by ecocentral » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:38 am

I have been using Joomla for about 3 yrs now for some non-profit sites. At first I thought well...I'll just wait and someone will see what is obvious and fix it...well nobody seems to get it so I will explain. It seems that the problem is not really a programming one as much as a business model error. There seems to be a basic misunderstanding of what a section is, what a category is and as far as topics they don't even exist in Joomla. For example the following should happen:
- a section has one or more categories
- a category has one or more topics,
- a topic has one or more subtopics

This is basic for a CMS The ability to manage content depends totally on how effective a system can classify and sort information. Joomla totally fails because it can only create one category for a section and has no topics or sub-topics.

Aside from content management any good system needs a method of managing users so that a user can have access or be restricted from any element. PostNuke had a reasonable way of managing permissions. Many wined they could not understand it, but that was because they didn't understand how a filter worked, had little computer experience and because documentation was terrible. You don't need to reinvent the wheel, just use some opensource software that already exists and implement it for Joomla.

Jim

AlexSmirnov
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: How about a real Content Management System?

Post by AlexSmirnov » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:16 am

hello Jim,

although you got it wrong saying that Joomla creates only one category per section, what you are bringing up here makes sense and has already been on the developers' radar for a while.

Joomla 1.6 will be managing content without sections but with nested categories. however you call them - category, subcategories and articles in Joomla parlance or category, topics and subtopics per your post - it is in essence the same content architecture.

By the way, 1.6 Alpha 2 is available for download and any feedback will be most welcomed - http://developer.joomla.org/coordinator ... eased.html

cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ecocentral
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: How about a real Content Management System?

Post by ecocentral » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:00 am

Yes multi level categories will work....thanks

Jim

Return to “Feature Requests - White Papers - Archived”