[23]Support accented characters in URL rewriting

LocaLizeR
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

[23]Support accented characters in URL rewriting

Post by LocaLizeR » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:48 pm

1. Summary
Domain names with accented characters are available for a while. Using Wikipedia we have learnt that the accented characters can be used as page titles and can be displayed in the address bar of the browsers. Joomla! 1.5 was a giant step forward in generating the SEF URLs. The search engines like the URLs with accented characters, and it would be great if Joomla! supported them.

2. Goals
This feature should be added to the Global Configuration as a parameter, where the site admin can enable/disable it.

3. Affects
Awaiting community comment.
Jozsef Tamas Herczeg // Member of the Hungarian Joomla Translation Team :: Follow me on Twitter: @jtherczeg
:: "Do not give fish to the hungry man teach him how to fish instead" ::

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Support accented characters in URL rewriting

Post by newart » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:49 pm

Sorry I'm a little not agreeing with you. As you probably know languages from the old latin, such as italian, french, spanish, romanian and so on, use accented characters (sundry times, a lot!) and one mother tongue of mine is italian...

but the problem is wider than expected, if you accept accented ones, you have to accept perhaps special characters (see spanish), too. And maybe also the widely used apostrophe ' (see french), why not? Moreover I've read somewhere in the net, the start for typing new URL in native languages (such as asian ones or russian...). So what to do?

IMHO the best way is to do nothing... Joomla hasn't to be among these troubles and I can assure you that a SEF URL in my Joomla, well, in italian sometimes isn't "fine"...
former Q&T WorkGroup Joomla member - Italian Translation Team Member

Return to “Under Review - Archived”