[15]simple database integration

beilana
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

[15]simple database integration

Post by beilana » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:30 am

I am not sure if this is possible, but it sure would be nice if there was some straight forward way (within the application) to make direct links with the joomla database and the databases of other quality opensource applications. I am sure just about everyone out there is running at least two applications where they have to type the same information into a system twice (ie. information of employees, customers, product information, etc.). It would certainly be nice to have one easy straight forward page within the joomla application to make direct database integrations. Specifically, I am would be interested to integrate the information I have in openbravo and zencart.

masterchief
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: [15]simple database integration

Post by masterchief » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:11 am

This really needs to be look at on a case-by-case basis. It's commonly called bridging. What's we'd need to know about are things like what additional API we can incorporate to assist building those bridges. But until someone actually tries it, we have no idea where to start.
Andrew Eddie - Tweet @AndrewEddie
<><
http://eddify.me
http://www.kiva.org/team/joomla - Got Joomla for free? Pay it forward and help fight poverty.

beilana
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: [15]simple database integration

Post by beilana » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:29 pm

I noticed that Sun Microsystems just bought up MySQL. They seem to be using opensource as a weapon against Microsoft. As a result, I think they will use their java platform to build bridges between PostgreSQL and MySQL applications making it much simpler to turn just about every opensource application on sourceforge into one big customizable application. There is no way Microsoft can compete against that and lack of integration is the only thing stopping many businesses from jumping fully with both feet into opensource. Sun now owns all the technology necessary to complete the integration. If they do end up doing this, they will also make their java platform indespensible to the whole opensource market. I guess we all better start learning java.

Return to “Not Accepted - Archived”