kelb
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Blogging component

Post by kelb » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:31 pm

About:
Integrated blogging component

What?
A blog component with integrated user management.

Why?
Joomla has some major needs like group management, etc. Blogging is one of these. Blogging is highly popular activity on the net. I guess many people choose popular other cms solutions, because Joomla lacks of blogging component.
Every soul will taste of death.

LocaLizeR
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Blogging component

Post by LocaLizeR » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:40 am

BLOGman, a multi-user blogging component for Joomla 1.5 has been registered by illustrious developers at JoomlaCode for a while. Hopefully a release will be available within a reasonable time.
Jozsef Tamas Herczeg // Member of the Hungarian Joomla Translation Team :: Follow me on Twitter: @jtherczeg
:: "Do not give fish to the hungry man teach him how to fish instead" ::

Geoff
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Geoff » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:04 pm

Yes, indeed a feature lacking in Joomla! that is available in other CMS. What I believe makes Joomla! different is its extensibility. Not everyone creating a site with Joomla! will want to have a blog on there, why add it on? Though I do agree that a large number of people will find this useful, in my opinion if a 3rd party extension is available that suits the need without editing core files, there is no need to integrate it into the core. LocALiceR pointed out that BLOGman is registered for J! 1.5. This should prove useful to many community members.

I would also like to point out that though I do not agree that we need a blogging component integrated tightly into the core, I do agree that if this were to happen many people would find it useful (including myself).
Backup, backup, backup!
The "Master" .htacess file by Nicholas http://snipt.net/nikosdion/the-master-htaccess

sapoku
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sapoku » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:43 am

hi there..
We are discousing on a diferent thread the posibility of addding comments as a core feature.. it´s my belive that adding that feature will give the basic bloging ability to joomla.
Please read the post, and see what other features are missing so it will become a full bloging feature.

http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=500&t=265696

Hackwar
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Hackwar » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:37 pm

What does a blogging component do. And which of those features is not already possible in Joomla with some extensions?

Moving this to "Denied"
god doesn't play dice with the universe. not after that drunken night with the devil where he lost classical mechanics in a game of craps.

Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.

harikaram
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by harikaram » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:59 pm

Joomla doenst do:

Tags,
multiple categories per article,
category hierarchies,
comments,
trackbacks,
category menus.

Yes extensions can do this somewhat but its $70 for the tagging component, $20-30 for the comments, $50 for the trackbacks...per server too...

I dont use wordpress much but they appear to be making leaps and bounds. I'd look closely at them for features...
http://www.RegallyGraceful.com
Spiritual Perspective, Practical Outlook, Professional Experience

SoftDux
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by SoftDux » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:11 pm

I also think a decent blogging component is a good idea. Even though a lot of people don't want a Blog as a website, the basic concepts behind a blog is a good move towards SEO

tbianco
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tbianco » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:37 pm

Wow! It's been a while since I have jumped onto the forums. You know what, I couldn't agree with you more. There needs to be a built in blogging component into Joomla 1.5. Drupal has it and I don't see why there couldn't be a blogging component built into core.

NOW.... here's something else to think about. What if, just like MooTools, you could choose what core components you wanted in your download. That way you could have as robust or lightweight of an install as you wanted.

Yes there is a growing community of extensions however most of them are not the highest quality out there. If the community focused on just a few as core, such as forums, blogs, multisite install, custom content types then I think we would have the most robust CMS out there in the world. We pretty much already do have the most robust CMS out there because it uses MVC design pattern. Which if you haven't started building a component it's like the Ruby on Rails of PHP driven CMSs.

I think it would be great to start documenting the blogging component features and what would need to be apart of core. Take a look at what wordpress is doing.

On a side note, having more AJAX goodness in the admin panel would be great.

Personally, I think that Joomla 1.5 is it's true real start and Joomla 1.0 was just a practice run.

- Tony
marketing : branding : thinking
VeloceMedia.com

kevicakes
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by kevicakes » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:35 am

I own an operate a gambling Promotions website for players. Of these players there is alot of players that enjoy writing there own blogs. I have yet to find a blog component that would allow users to have access to writing their own blogs within our websites and have others respond and reply to them. I have been searching for this for a long time. I think it's about time that it came about, seeing as blogging is getting huge on the net today. People like to express themselves and their ideas in there own ways and giving users their own blog would only allow more user friendly environment. Having a comment system is not the same thing! As far as wordpress it started out small and look at the success it is having today just because of the blog style format. Gives a little idea of direction that should be going.

Return to “Not Accepted - Archived”