JPress is no more . . . now it's Tamka . . . the summary from the project website [with occasional request for more info added]:
"There are no core hacks with Tamka. Tamka uses Joomla!'s 1.5's rich application development environment to extend the environment into a powerful blogger, with all the necessary (and fun) bells and whistles bloggers need (and love.) Since there are no core hacks, normal extensions should work with Tamka, too.
"There is Sample Data that we recommend using in order to become familiar with how Tamka operates. Not only will this provide helpful narrative, but perhaps more importantly, the Sample Data enables and configures extensions for immediate use.
* Can be configured as a single-user or multi-user blog.
* Each blogger can have their own blog.
* Blogger Categories can optionally be automatically created after normal Username approval processing. [please explain]
* ACL enhancements restrict bloggers to their own posts and Category. [please explain]
* By using core Joomla! User Groups, a Site Administrator can enable or restrict automatic publishing for all or individual bloggers.
"Member (Blogger) Profile
* Using Kevin Devine's UserMeta extension, additional data elements were added to the Tamka User Plugin to show how easy it is to extend Joomla!'s User data. User Meta can easily be customized by site developers for their own needs. [usermeta project is http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/usermeta/
* Tamka Author Profile Module displays this UserMeta? data. (In the sample data with the Tamka Simplicity Template, this is presented in a position beneath the post for the blogger.)
* Gravatar support for Posts and Comments is available through specification in the Tamka UserMeta? Plugin and display in the template overrides.
* Bloggers can select content license choices available in the Tamka UserMeta? Plugin. (This can optionally be set site-wide by allowing only one option.). License information presented in Tamka Author Profile Module.
* Members can sign up for Email notification for posts and comments. The Tamka Email Notification Plugin uses those choices and the User email address to send notices.
* Members can define personal social networking URLs, which are then presented in the Tamka Author Profile Module.
"~*~ THE BLOG LOOK ~*~
"Blog View that simply extends com_content:
- Menu Item selection allows multiple Sections and Categories, date ranges, and authors;
- All normal events and Joomla! Plugins work with view since it uses com_content;
- Standard "reverse order by date" blogging standard possible (and can continue to use other Joomla!'s layout options)
- RSS Feed
"Taxonomy support and standard blogger objects:
- Tag Cloud;
- Blog Calendar;
- Selection of any dimension filters the list of posts for tag, blogger, or date range.
- Pagination support;
- RSS Feed (ex., "Posts tagged with Joomla!" has an RSS Feed)
- Standard Blog look - Header, content area, footer and sidebars [use your own template?]
- Adjust content in sidebar easily using Joomla!'s Module Manager
- Standards compliant output for all extensions
"Post Editor and Tools
"Blogger Editor support
- Text (Smiley, FX.Slide, Syntax Highlighter)
- Images (automatic thumbnails, resizing, random image insertion)
- Gallery support (Slimbox, Phatfusion
- Frontend editor space designed for ease of use and includes instructions for use of each Plugin.
"URLs and URL handling
- Pretty, permanent URLs: section-alias/article-alias(.html) available, will have many additional options
- Plugin to ensure unique URLs for posts;
- Posts have one, and only one URL, regardless of how many Menu Items include it (No duplicate content);
- Canonicalization of home page [blessing required? please explain]
- WWW vs no WWW http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/canonicalization-update/
- 301 processing available for URL migrations and/or changes to the Article URL
- 404 processing, including ability to create a custom 404 page and the collection of data regarding "page not found" errors.
- Email Subscriptions
- Tweets (Post title and tiny url)
$$!!$$ [please explain]
"~*~ VISITOR INTERACTION ~*~
- Polls (core)
- Voting (core)
- Social Bookmarking
- Comments, Gravatar support, and Moderation
- Secure Images
' "Got to have it cuz it's a blog" Stuff:
- Title Manager -
- Flickr integration
- Twitter Status and Timelines of Self, Friends and/or Followers
- Blogroll - Friend Links/Cool Links (new custom Module that uses standard Joomla! Core Web links components)
"Normal Joomla! Core Functionality
- Fully compatiable with all normal Joomla! functionality - including normal Joomla! extensions.
- Recent Posts (Latest News)
- Most Popular
- Online Users
- Related Posts
- Custom Modules
- Standard Templating easy to use to create headers, sidebars, footers, etc. [relates how to "Simplicity" -- please explain]
"Go thru google's doc"