New site: Used Car Dealer

graczyka77
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

New site: Used Car Dealer

Post by graczyka77 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:52 am

Hello everyone,

This is my first Joomla site and being for a used car dealer, was a little unique for me. They have been happy with it and maintain their inventory, listings, etc. on their own. They wanted a nice, simple site for customers in the area to view vehicles they have available. It is a dealership in a small town, so they didn't need anything elaborate. Personally, I think it is easier to navigate/view than many of the large and small dealerships in the area.

Website URL: http://ryansusedcarsinc.com
Template: JA_Purity
Extensions: RD-Autos 1.5.4 Beta (modified), Z Weather 6 Beta 5, Plugin GoogleMaps
Things I'm working on:
1) The pages for the inventory cause the "menu shift" bug to occur in IE 6. Looking for the source of that problem as it must be somewhere in RD-Autos.
2) Template update/change - mainly for the logo to add some interest/visibility.
3) "Something" for the front page to add interest. The client is looking to get me some photos of the dealership or family (it is family owned/operated) to place on there somewhere.
4) Possible updates to the lightbox system. It is functional, but I think it could be a little better.

Please feel free to share any thoughts or ideas that you have for the site. I'll warn you that I'm new to Joomla features, but am eager to learn anything that you throw my way.

Cheers!

Stasys
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: New site: Used Car Dealer

Post by Stasys » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:05 pm

waw, nice job, thanks for Extension
Lithuanian Joomla! Community http://www.lithuanianjoomla.com
lietuviškas Joomla! puslapis, naujienos, straipsniai, forumas, vertimai
always be open source, and be free as freedom

hamanaka
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by hamanaka » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:34 pm

cool site,

I don't think you need the bottom menu, that stuff could be better organized into the side menu, and that too could be better organized...

otherwise you got it! 8)
Mike Hamanaka
http://www.vertualize.com Joomla! Management Consulting
San Diego, California, USA

hamanaka
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by hamanaka » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:35 pm

...and I never put links to the admin stuff on the front-end.

that much just be my insecurity.. :-[
Mike Hamanaka

JoeJoomla
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by JoeJoomla » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:00 pm

I think having an easy to find map is a good thing, but not as the main feature on the home page.

Emotions sell, not maps. I expected to see a really hot car or hot car deal on the home page. You aren't selling maps. Get some nice car images or car related graphics on that front page.

Right off the bat you need to make an impression. Why should someone buy a car from you? What are you offering? Why should I spend time looking through this car site?

First impressions are HUGE, make the most of it! 8) Put my dream car up on that front page at a price I'm willing to pay! That will get my attention fast. Or maybe you offer something else I can't resist? Free oil changes for life perhaps? ;D
Joe Sonne
JoeJoomla.com | JoeSonne.com | The Joe Sonne Group | Former Board Member of Open Source Matters, Inc. | Capital Committee Member

hamanaka
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by hamanaka » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:43 pm

but don't just expose a car article, maybe a blog list layout or something.

have like the Deal of the week with better pictures in a rotator or slideshow?, and then maybe three other good deals in the list layout, then bait-and-switch and get them into the more expensive sports car, YEAH BABY!!!!

I always wanted to be a used car salesman! I would run out to the curb and greet every person, I might even camp out in a trailer in the front yard so people could buy a car 24 hours a day, can I come work for you? :D nevermind your website might put me out of a job... :geek:

round em' up online! excellent idea to have a homebrew website, I almost feel like I am going to get a good deal from you guys. Who is Ryan? I perceive him as a mechanic who sells the cars he fixes, the old fashion way? Maybe a pic could help, or might hurt? hard to say. ???

Good luck with the Independent car sales site! 8)
Mike Hamanaka

downloadthis
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by downloadthis » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:49 am

Hi Ryan... Firs thing that pops out is the fact that you're wasting prime real estate - your home page - on showing me where you are. That's not going to bring in business... What's going to attract people is showing off some of the best deals you've got. Show me a nice picture of a good car in excellent shape that's priced to sell and I'll keep looking.

Also - you should consider including some extras: a payment calculator, last car sold, info on current interest rates, etc... Just to keep it interesting.

Other than that - I think you're off to a good start!

graczyka77
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by graczyka77 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:15 am

Thank you all for the responses thus far. I'll work with my client to make some modifications based on your feedback. Great ideas!! I agree that there needs to be something "personal" on the homepage. They are in the process of getting me some family and business pictures (it is a family owned business), but they are having trouble deciding which ones.

Before the map was there, it was simply text and I knew something was missing. While I was waiting for pictures, I decided to put something there. I'll look at maybe having some car picture in there instead - maybe even ones they have for sale. Hmm.

Thank you all again! I'll post more information as the site changes.

Cheers!

ijockz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ijockz » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:37 pm

You might try utilizing some of the module classes that come with that theme... my site uses the same base theme and if you notice there are some nifty ways to make things look a little more clean AKA no bullets in the menus etc.

window
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by window » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:36 pm

I like the intro movie, I like how you done that.

Big Red
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Big Red » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:03 pm

I think it works. The site is about selling used cars, short n simple. Gives you an ad platform and gets your business out there, along with the list of used cars, thats all you need IMHO. Some fancy websites just hit you with a wall of stuff and it starts to be more about looks than content.
Just my 2 cent worth.

jools_dev
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jools_dev » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:25 am

Hey guys, has anyone developed a site that allows users to post their own cars for sale with joomla? I am looking for a reference as I have this project on my plate right now. Any hint would be greatly appreciated...

ray17
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ray17 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:40 pm

Hello! Your site looks good and RD-Autos seems like a nice component. I've used JA Purity on my cars site and it looks a bit like yours.

@jools_dev - I've done carscase.com, which is a site that allows users to post their own cars, but not for sale. ;)

frank_in_oz
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by frank_in_oz » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:32 pm

Nice site graczyka77.

I am looking to build a site for a hire company. They hire anything from wine glasses to tractors and machinery.

They DON'T want an ecommerce option, rather a site to display 300 plus products. i.e. a web presence allowing potential customers to view online what they have available for hire. There are 30 plus broad groupings e.g. plumbing equipment, scaffolding etc. Within each grouping there would be up to 30 items.

Do you (or anyone else here) think RD-Autos 1.5.4 Beta could be modified to manage these type of products?

many thanks

Frank

graczyka77
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by graczyka77 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:01 am

Thank you for all of the comments and feedback!

John, to address your questions - the template for the overall site is JA Purity that is typically installed with Joomla! as I found it to be very flexible with the layout and compatible with a number of browsers. I also like the clean, uncluttered look that it has. The RD Autos extension that I used is the free version with some modifications for some items (VIN, different fuels, etc.) and enhancements (CarFax link from VIN, graphic, etc.).

I did look at other extensions like Autostand, but at the time they didn't have a version for the 1.5 platform and lacked some of the flexibility that I saw in the RD Autos extension. In looking at your site, I think that the RD Autos extension would work well for much of it, but the amount of detail you have in the article layout probably wouldn't lend itself to be included in the typical RD Autos layout. My guess is that you'd probably still have much of that information contained in articles. I really like the layout you have for your articles.

I don't know that there is a "grid" layout of the sites that will show you how they are categorized or sectioned, but you can get some idea by looking at the sitemap of the sites as they will generally show common groupings of pages.

frank_in_oz - Sorry about the delay to your response. I do think that RD Autos could give you a nice platform for displaying a number of different types of items. It is very flexible with regards to categories and the like. However, it is not as flexible at different features for those categories. For example, if you wanted a section for tractors, a section for implements, and a section for wine glasses, that is fine. The descriptors for items would have to be the same, however. In other words, you wouldn't be able to have the tractor's section show hours, color, and transmission, without it showing in the wine glasses section also. That's really the only downside that I could see. You could, however, disable all of the descriptors and just use the free form comments, I guess.

My client has been very happy with the site and has received a lot of positive feedback from customers. Based on the traffic and hits that the cars have seen on the web, it is obvious that consumers are active on the web and very interested in seeing if making the trip is worth their while.

Despite the current economic conditions, their sales are up from where they were prior to having the website. It makes me wonder if they'd be one of the many used car lots that have gone belly-up recently because of the slump in sales. It is good piece of mind that successfully running a business is still about fundamentals, accessibility, and communication.

Best regards,
Tony

itnewcomer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by itnewcomer » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:02 am

I think u should remove admin on the frontpage for security issued...cracker can enter from here...

overall nice website ..so simple ...

visit my site http://www.terrorbladegame.com ... my first web too
http://all-about-insurance-article.[URL banned].com | Insurance information
http://www.terrorbladegame.com | Arcade Game | Game Review | Game Store | Game Download |Game Trailer

theluck
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by theluck » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:44 am

Cool website... but maybe need more color... just to much white and black...
???

John86
I've been banned!

Post by John86 » Mon May 18, 2009 1:08 pm

website is looking cool i got gr8 info you can get more helpful information about used car dealers at

nyak
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by nyak » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:34 am

Nice website !

But the front image loading too slow in my browser here.

So there a chance the visitor do not see the frontpage image

Well done

hb7of10
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by hb7of10 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:12 pm

Nice site, but perhaps a car dealer site should have mainly images of cars on the front page. and no so much other clutter
<< Do what you must do so that you can do what you want to do. >>
http://www.[spam].co.za/
Duplicate links are not allowed. Please, see forum rules: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65

joomfriend
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by joomfriend » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:57 am

Good site but needs some good contents on it. It looks empty. As you are a car dealer you ca use some good car sales or classified ads components which are available in the JED.
- https://www.adelnipet.com: Adelni Pet - Your Social Pet Network
- https://www.egliseprimitive.org: Christian Website

Ace2110
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Ace2110 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:57 pm

If it were my site, I'd definitely move the weather report down the column on the right hand side as it's not important.

I would add an internet special or something in that space.

Also I notice that you don't have any information on financing on your site. Do you not have a financing source? If you have one, putting a calculator and some other information makes a ton of sense.

Return to “1.5 Site Showcase - Archived”