UK Computer Repair Site [WIP]

lilrichieh
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

UK Computer Repair Site [WIP]

Post by lilrichieh » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:51 pm

Hello Everyone,

For some time i have been running my website using iweb but decided to move it over to joomla to make it more professional and fluid to update, while the current development website is still a work in progress i wanted to show it to you so i could get some feedback on the layout and SEO features implemented already.

New Site: http://www.midlanzcomputers.com

Theme: Afterburner
Components: Easy SQL, Joomla Pack, Joomla Explorer, Mass Content, QContacts, RokQuickKart,
Modules: Twitter, Rocslideshow

What i have done: Local Cache is on, Gzip is on, Search Engine Friendly URL is on, Image optimization has been done (to best of my knowledge),

Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly apprecialted
Many Thanks
Richard
Last edited by lilrichieh on Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: UK Computer Repair Site [WIP]

Post by Webdongle » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:58 pm

Please note this is meant as constructive criticism because you asked for feed back. In no way am I trying to knock what you have done.

'See more coverage' link not working.

Colours better than the other site.

Header loading after page makes the page look like it's jumping rather than including the page in the Template.

.../dev/about-us/our-blog the links to both 'Prices page' links open up your old sites page.

.../dev/our-services/computer-repair same as above.

..../dev/our-services/buisness-services looks much like the other two pages.

.../dev/our-services takes you to .../dev/our-services/Archives (in breadcrumbs)

No postal address on the contact page makes it look like you are working from home part time.

Contact details would probably be better on the 'About us' page with a clickable link for the email form.

The 'About us' page needs a complete rewrite there seems to be no structure to the blurb.

Also there appears to be no structure to the site. General blurb about your services includes many things but the menu does not follow the structure of the blurb.

It appears that you added menu items as an after thought rather than structuring the content of your site. The disjointed appearance probably reflects that you have not set Sections/Categories before you wrote your Articles.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

lilrichieh
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lilrichieh » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:04 am

Hello,

Thanks for the reply here is my thoughts and replies to what you have said.

Their is a reason for this, i am trying to work out how i link to an article that is not on the front page, i am unsure how at this time to obtain the url from the backend to link to it.

Colours better than the other site.
Thanks, glad i got something right.

Header loading after page makes the page look like it's jumping rather than including the page in the Template.
This is a slideshow it is made up of multiple images which are added to a folder on the server, i think as this is javascript it will load AFTER the page has completed i don't think their is any way to get around this.

.../dev/about-us/our-blog the links to both 'Prices page' links open up your old sites page.
This has been resolved

.../dev/our-services/computer-repair same as above.
This has been resolved

I take your point, maybe i should merge the two repair sections together?

.../dev/our-services takes you to .../dev/our-services/Archives (in breadcrumbs)
Again....this is a trivial one for me, not sure why it is doing this, i will have to look into that.

No postal address on the contact page makes it look like you are working from home part time.
The main base is home and i don't really want my home address on the website if it was an office or smallholding then i would choose otherwise. For the buisness model address is not REALLY essential.

Contact details would probably be better on the 'About us' page with a clickable link for the email form.
Maybe you are right, if not on the same page i will add this to the About Us drop down menu so that when the user however over about us the contact link appears.

The 'About us' page needs a complete rewrite there seems to be no structure to the blurb.
Agreed!

Also there appears to be no structure to the site. General blurb about your services includes many things but the menu does not follow the structure of the blurb.
I don't understand what you mean by this.....can you ellaborate?

It appears that you added menu items as an after thought rather than structuring the content of your site. The disjointed appearance probably reflects that you have not set Sections/Categories before you wrote your Articles.
As above care to add a bit more detail?

Thanks
Richard

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:02 pm

Their is a reason for this, i am trying to work out how i link to an article that is not on the front page, i am unsure how at this time to obtain the url from the backend to link to it.
Create a new menu item >>> menu item type Articles Article layout ...... Select the Article and save. copy the link from the menu. Then delete the link.

Or start a new Article create a link and then click the Edit code icon and snatch the link from there. No need to save the Article. (JCE editor is goog for that).
This is a slideshow it is made up of multiple images which are added to a folder on the server, i think as this is javascript it will load AFTER the page has completed i don't think their is any way to get around this.
In your Template's index.php file find the div that contains the call for that modules position (using http://www.midlanzcomputers.com/dev/?tp=1 it looks like advertisment is the position. Edit the corresponding class/id in the css file by adding height:250px;, experiment with hight until it is correct. (hint, downloading the relevant files to your PC and editing them with something like HTML-kit,then uploading with its internal ftp is quicker. It prevents the need to save until the edit is correct).

I take your point, maybe i should merge the two repair sections together?

Again....this is a trivial one for me, not sure why it is doing this, i will have to look into that.

I don't understand what you mean by this.....can you ellaborate?

As above care to add a bit more detail?
Remember how, at school we are taught to plan essay's ? (well they did at my school). With pen and paper, words that summarise what you do. create headings, under these create sub-headings. Under those expand what the are. Much like a flow chart. "Structure follows strategy"

You then have your Sections and Categories for Joomla. Also you have your main text for the Articles. Create the Articles and assign them to the appropriate Section/Category. When you have your Sections and Categories Articles then you have the structure for your menu. "form follows structure"

The main base is home and i don't really want my home address on the website if it was an office or smallholding then i would choose otherwise. For the buisness model address is not REALLY essential.
Yes, it is very obvious that you are based at home, too obvious. But good planing of the site and contact page will avoid the absence of a postal address less obvious.

A couple of other things:
You may consider getting a .co.uk address, 'parking it' and forwarding it to your main site ?
http://www.sipgate.co.uk/user/index.php provides free local (std) code phone numbers. When the number is called it can be answered on the PC (earphone/mike) that is if you did not want your home number on the site. It only cost's if you buy an account to phone out, incoming calls are free and so is the voice message box.

lilrichieh
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lilrichieh » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:46 pm

Create a new menu item >>> menu item type Articles Article layout ...... Select the Article and save. copy the link from the menu. Then delete the link.
Or start a new Article create a link and then click the Edit code icon and snatch the link from there. No need to save the Article. (JCE editor is goog for that).
I tried this - didn't work it keeps giving me a 404 after i remove the menu item.
Remember how, at school we are taught to plan essay's ? (well they did at my school). With pen and paper, words that summarise what you do. create headings, under these create sub-headings. Under those expand what the are. Much like a flow chart. "Structure follows strategy"

You then have your Sections and Categories for Joomla. Also you have your main text for the Articles. Create the Articles and assign them to the appropriate Section/Category. When you have your Sections and Categories Articles then you have the structure for your menu. "form follows structure"
So if i am reading this right i would have a menu structure like this

- Home
- Our Servies
--Computer Services
---Service 1
---Service 2
---Service 3
---Service 4
--Buissness Services
--Email Hosting
--Our Price List
-About Us
--Blog
--Contact Us

What is good practise for Categories and Sections?
Yes, it is very obvious that you are based at home, too obvious. But good planing of the site and contact page will avoid the absence of a postal address less obvious.
This is like talking french to me, i have no idea how a good contact page should look.
A couple of other things:
You may consider getting a .co.uk address, 'parking it' and forwarding it to your main site ?
http://www.sipgate.co.uk/user/index.php provides free local (std) code phone numbers. When the number is called it can be answered on the PC (earphone/mike) that is if you did not want your home number on the site. It only cost's if you buy an account to phone out, incoming calls are free and so is the voice message box.
A .co.uk is something i might get and also i might sign up for that service at the moment my focus is on getting the site up and running so i can actually get some buisness

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:23 pm

I tried this - didn't work it keeps giving me a 404 after i remove the menu item.
Then try JCE editor to make a link in a new Article, it should give you the exact URL. That should be the same even if you don't save the Article. If you are unsure of that then search the forums or place a separate post.

So if i am reading this right i would have a menu structure like this

- Home
- Our Servies
--Computer Services
---Service 1
---Service 2
---Service 3
---Service 4
--Buissness Services
--Email Hosting
--Our Price List
-About Us
--Blog
--Contact Us

That's the general idea, the final structure will depend on what you are happy with and what you think the 'look and feel' of the site should be.

Quote:

This is like talking french to me, i have no idea how a good contact page should look.
Neither do I, well I know it when I see it but I don't know how to make it look good. That's why I don't advertise web design as a service. All I can do is tell you what I know about structuring a site. And what the site is saying to me. The rest is up to you.

joomjason
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by joomjason » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:32 am

I just wanted to say you did a great job, it's a huge improvement from the old site!!

lilrichieh
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lilrichieh » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:04 am

joomjason wrote:I just wanted to say you did a great job, it's a huge improvement from the old site!!
Thanks so so much =) I know their are tweaks that is why i posted but it is nice to hear that.

Rich

Return to “1.5 Site Showcase - Archived”