Project idea: Wiki extension

Gergo Erdosi
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Project idea: Wiki extension

Post by Gergo Erdosi » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:53 pm

My project idea is a Wiki extension for Joomla! 1.5. Currently there is no Wiki extension for Joomla!, just some bridges, for example MediaWiki or Dokuwiki bridge.

The Wiki would know the basic Wiki features, like the Wiki syntax, public editing, user and discussion pages etc. The pages would show in the back-end like the content items now in Joomla!, so the administrators or managers could manage them easily (features for example: create new, move, delete, redirect etc.). There would be multiple level categories, which could be managed in the back-end, too. Of course guests could create or remove categories and add content from the front-end, this back-end function just helps for the administrators. There would be article versioning, and users could look at the differences between the older article versions. If somebody removes the content of a page, it will be easily restored.

Users could specify custom styles, like the quote or code style on this forum. It would use the GeSHi Highlighter for codes. Custom templates could be assigned to categories (like blue background on software category, green background on hardware category).

The Wiki would have import-export features (like export pages from a category) and it would also have a backup feature, which backups the whole Wiki. I plan to create a migrator for the Wiki, which migrates a MediaWiki or a DokuWiki site to this Joomla! Wiki.

Currently I thought about these features, but I'm waiting for suggestions about the project idea and the features of the Wiki. Thanks in advance!

bigodines
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Project idea: Wiki extension

Post by bigodines » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:56 pm

hey, a native wiki component would be nice!

Do you plan any permissions/moderation system?

-bigo

Gergo Erdosi
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Gergo Erdosi » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:15 pm

bigodines wrote:Do you plan any permissions/moderation system?
Yes. The first main setting would be whether guests can edit pages or just registered users. There would be protected (locked) pages which can be edit by only the administrator (or the group that the administrator specified). Administrator can set the permission for each group. These permissions are for example read, create, delete pages and categories, lock pages etc. And there would be some security features, like optional captcha, flood protection, user and IP ban. Do you thought about these features? If you have any suggestion, please share it. :)

mihu
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mihu » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:47 am

This idea sounds like "Version tracking of article" project.
Cross reference: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=526&t=276887
bento2go.com - We DO NOT sell bento !!

Gergo Erdosi
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Gergo Erdosi » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:33 pm

You're right, but Wiki is more than a simple article versioning. It allows public editing, discussion pages, wiki syntax, import from MediaWiki, custom templates and styles etc. And also it would support multiple level categories, not only section - category level. If you want to include these features into Joomla, you should rewrite nearly the whole content system, that's why I thought an extension would be better and easier. You're right, the article versioning would nearly the same like in the other project, that's why I'm waiting for suggestion about this project. Is it good idea for GSoC or should I look for another project? Thanks in advance!

pasamio
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by pasamio » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:28 pm

I would personally love the ability to use native mediawiki format in some articles as well. What I'd like to see implemented is perhaps a wiki editing interface that handles mediawiki but updates an equivalent content article. That way I can use the really easy and compatible mediawiki format and then just convert the items into com_content very quickly. This enables us to the features of the core content component without having to attack it to directly (e.g. we can put a wiki entry into a blog view easily).

Using the mediawiki page style (article names with /'s are pathed) and category tagging would also be cool. A native wiki would be nice thing for SoC.
Sam Moffatt
Updater, Installer and Authentication Systems
JoomlaCode Backend Systems
Pie.

Gergo Erdosi
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Gergo Erdosi » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:31 pm

Thanks pasamio for the suggestions! I'm going to sum up my project proposal tomorrow and apply for GSoC. As I saw there will be a great Joomla GSoC team in this year too, so I hope I can also be a part of this project.

conductorchris1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by conductorchris1 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:52 pm

This would be great! I'm using the media wiki bridge now, but I can't work out how to give users the ability to start new pages and there are various awkwardnesses involved in it just being a bridge.

d4t4min3r
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by d4t4min3r » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:26 am

i would love a wiki extesions as well

d4t4min3r
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by d4t4min3r » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:40 pm

you could have it built into the add new article/content so that you can chose a article to be a normal article or a "wiki" based article

Gergo Erdosi
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Gergo Erdosi » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:02 am

It is possible that I forget to mention here, but in my application I wrote, when you create a new menu item, you will be able to choose a single wiki article, a category or the whole wiki.

EMRhelp
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by EMRhelp » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:00 am

This is a great idea.

ashar
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ashar » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:50 am

Any progress yet?

Gergo Erdosi
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Gergo Erdosi » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:53 am

My project wasn't selected for GSoC, but I haven't drop the idea of the wiki extension, just will wait for the article versioning class (another GSoC project) and the acl support.

ashar
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ashar » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:37 am

What is the procedure for making enhancements to the projects completed in GSoC

EMRhelp
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by EMRhelp » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:26 am

I've come across two very cool wikis.

+++++ WIKIS

GoWiki - http://senseis.xmp.net/?GoWiki
JSPwiki - http://www.jspwiki.org/

JSPwiki's future looks bright as it is now a part of the Apache incubator program.

Although I fully support the idea the getting wiki-like functioning to Joomla! would be a revolution .... being able to integrate one of these peppy wikis would be great !

EMRhelp
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by EMRhelp » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:50 am

This remains an excellent idea.
Maybe a Google SOC project for next year ?

Josh Lewis
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Josh Lewis » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:15 am

Man I could use a component like that, It would certainly be one of the best components on joomla if it is a success! :D Any progress on it? (sorry if I sound like a barking dog wanting his dinner) Well, it will be exiting to see!

EMRhelp
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by EMRhelp » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:39 pm

Josh Lewis wrote:Man I could use a component like that, It would certainly be one of the best components on joomla if it is a success! :D Any progress on it?
Hi Josh,
I see you are a man of great taste !

Your best chance to get a good wiki for joomla would be
(1) use DokuWiki and the search bot component.
(2) use Joomlawiki.
(3) help me convince the maker of the new ccBoard to make either (1) a standalone wiki or (2) wiki-like features in his forum !

He seems interested. Please read my wiki threads and give your suggestions !

http://codeclassic.net/community.html?v ... st&forum=3

Check out ccBoard as well ... very peppy and lightweight :)

(4) join jfusion.org and suggest what wiki you want integrated into Joomla !

Josh Lewis
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Josh Lewis » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:37 am

EMRhelp wrote:
Josh Lewis wrote:Man I could use a component like that, It would certainly be one of the best components on joomla if it is a success! :D Any progress on it?
Hi Josh,
I see you are a man of great taste !

Your best chance to get a good wiki for joomla would be
(1) use DokuWiki and the search bot component.
(2) use Joomlawiki.
(3) help me convince the maker of the new ccBoard to make either (1) a standalone wiki or (2) wiki-like features in his forum !

He seems interested. Please read my wiki threads and give your suggestions !

http://codeclassic.net/community.html?v ... st&forum=3

Check out ccBoard as well ... very peppy and lightweight :)

(4) join jfusion.org and suggest what wiki you want integrated into Joomla !
Which forum post? There's a few wiki one.... should I just post in one of them? As for joomla wiki... there's a problem... the wiki uses a iframe which is a major problem... if it did'nt, I would'nt find it so much.... after trying to figure out a way to unwrap it, I found a few ways... one I could have it a wiki site with a link to go back to the original.... or keep it wrapped.... either way is'nt as good as I would like it. Now if someone can fully integrate them together, that would be awesome! It was said that it was a css related problem, but I would'nt mind getting rid of the joomla template so long as I could still use the modules and components and such.... wonder if there ever will be a solution... as for the other wiki's... I run off of joomla 1.5 so they are pretty much out of the question. That's why this wiki idea would be such a revolutionary idea....

EMRhelp
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by EMRhelp » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:58 am

Uh ... look for the word WIKI ?
:)
http://codeclassic.net/index.php?option ... 3&topic=27
However, these forums are currently locked now !
Guess what .. they came out with a new forum update, already !

Get over there and talk about how crazy stupid it is joomla doesnt have a wiki.

CGIcon
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by CGIcon » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:10 pm

well I came here looking for info on a Native Wiki,, after trying jommlawiki and being disappointed, I came to wonder why Joomla didnt have native Wiki functionality. I guess others wonder the same.

Hope it becomes available in the future... :D

EMRhelp
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by EMRhelp » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:09 pm

Can you go over to http://www.CodeClassic.org - and talk about wikis. They are making a crazy good forum and I think with some tweaking it could include wiki functionality.

I would love to hear how you would use the wiki.

FYI, jfusion.org is about to release a plugin for DokuWiki - frameless even ! DokuWiki is a great wiki. I've researched wikis so if I understood your needs I could help you go in the right direction.

Josh Lewis
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Josh Lewis » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:50 pm

EMRhelp wrote:Can you go over to http://www.CodeClassic.org - and talk about wikis. They are making a crazy good forum and I think with some tweaking it could include wiki functionality.

I would love to hear how you would use the wiki.

FYI, jfusion.org is about to release a plugin for DokuWiki - frameless even ! DokuWiki is a great wiki. I've researched wikis so if I understood your needs I could help you go in the right direction.
For one of my main sites I use joomla... as for my other main site I cannot make up my mind wether to use joomla or mediawiki... if joomla had a frameless wiki, that would settle it, and it would be joomla.... although media wiki is nice, but once they get that doku wiki function going, I will be very tempted to switch it back (fortunatly there's hardly any progress on my mediawiki) to joomla. Can't wait to see it. I'm guessing the current doku wiki is in a iframe.....

EMRhelp
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by EMRhelp » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:33 pm

The test site is here:

I believe it is frameless.

http://joomla.fanno.dk/index.php?option ... &Itemid=70

Discussion here:

Jfusion DokuWiki plugin, almost ready - frameless !
http://www.jfusion.org/index.php?f=16&t ... om_jfusion

Why don't you cheer Fanno on.

Return to “Proposed projects”