Idea: Finish GroupJive!

darklizard
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Idea: Finish GroupJive!

Post by darklizard » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:46 pm

For those of you who know it, GroupJive is an great extension that allows users to create and join groups. I have used it on many sites and it has proved very popular!

Unfortunately for the project, real life has taken a front seat for the developers which is completely understandable (see thread). GroupJive have huge potential and is a must have for any community driven Joomla! site even through it is still beta.

http://www.groupjive.org/component/opti ... id,4/#4602

I want to bring it to a stable status and add some extra features so it truly rival group functionality on other social networking websites. I have already added JACLPlus integration for one of my sites and I want to develop a multiple invite feature. Everything is set up and ready to go and the developers seem willing to help me. There are also many bugs and feature requests I want to incorporate (see tracker).

http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/groupjive/tracker/

Do people think this is a good GSoC project and would anyone be prepared to mentor me?

deborahSusan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Idea: Finish GroupJive!

Post by deborahSusan » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:25 am

I'm not sure that I completely understand the function of the component, but aside from that I do have a comment.

You are willing to pick up the torch and keep the flame going! That is a fitting tribute for all of the hours that others have donated to the project . . . it validates their efforts, time and talent!

May you be blest with the same sweet success!

darklizard
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by darklizard » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:03 pm

The groups users create with GroupJive tend to be socially orientated similar to a group on Facebook. Since my post I've been in talks with some of the original developers and felt their passion in getting it to where it is now. This is something I want to be a part of and they have a great plan on where the software should go. They seem willing to pass the torch with guidance and I am willing to put in the work. This is on top of the fact that GroupJive is unrivalled in the type of social groups it creates and is a must have for any Community Builder site. This could be the best start to my open source software development carer.

Joe

teddy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by teddy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:03 pm

Hi, I hope your project has been accepted!
Are you going to develop it natively for joomla!1.5? And compatible with community builder 1.6?
It would be a good thing, since that is the direction Joomla is taking...

darklizard
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by darklizard » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:23 pm

Still waiting to hear, I also very much hope that the project is accepted!

Yes, the main goal of the project is to re-develop GroupJive to work natively with the amazing Joomla 1.5. Of course integration with the next version of Community Builder comes a close second! Also, providing a system to easily integrate with other application is high on the list!

Lots of exciting plans, fingers crossed! :)

Joe

mgltacoma
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by mgltacoma » Mon May 05, 2008 3:20 pm

Please read this post.
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=286145
I totally support what you are trying to accomplish. We have tons of other developers working on different extensions in joomla that already exist. But I do not see why they are not contributing to this great project.
I really want this project moving forward. I saw someone's thread on Groupjive forum that he wanted to take this project to google summer code. It will be great if they support this project and have some people work on it.
http://www.groupjive.org/index.php?opti ... =4755#4901

keybs
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by keybs » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:07 pm

well, i haven't been using it enough to say "Finish groupjive" but that is the one component that is missing that has me not upgrade to joomla 1.5!

It would be great if someone migrated it to the new platform. I'm a real newbie (no coding experience) so its way outta my league

Return to “Proposed projects”