SOC 2008 Idea:Jabber Notification

filbar
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

SOC 2008 Idea:Jabber Notification

Post by filbar » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:29 pm

I think, that could be nice if Joomla have ability to send notifications and log messages to jabber client of administrators. The email is not so flexibile as Instant Messages.
I have an idea, that if new user is registered, new arcitle is submitted, than Joomla administrator is notified by Jabber message, and can view the article in IM client, or could be showed URL addres of new article. Then Joomla administrator can publish this article with Jabber message.
Joomla user registration can be extended by this way to: if some user register on site, than will be send IM message to Joomla administrator, and administrator can activate this user account by IM message.
Next I mean, that this interface could be maked available to other components.
And this interface could be used to communicate users and administrators too ad do it Meebo web Jabber client.

What do you think about this?
Can be this part of Google SOC?

raaki_88
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: SOC 2008 Idea:Jabber Notification

Post by raaki_88 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:46 pm

hi ...

the idea is great but in what way do you want to implement it .... i mean how do u embed joomla and jabber

thank you

rakesh

filbar
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by filbar » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:13 pm

All communication in Jabber are sended as xml. Joomla notification will be implemented as Jabber client and creating xml is in PHP simple.

raaki_88
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by raaki_88 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:17 pm

ya i got it thats fine wid me

deborahSusan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by deborahSusan » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:41 am

I think the project is interesting, very useful, and has good potential. Could you clarify something for me?

I understand how the administrator could be notified using Jabber, but I'm not clear on how the administrator would use Jabber to update the status of a user/article . . . I know Jabber is more secure than IM, however having an administrator use Jabber to remotely connect to the site's database and change the status of a user/article seems to open the site to plethora of potential risk.

Could you briefly explain that aspect of the proposal?

Thx so much!

filbar
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by filbar » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:54 am

I think, that Joomla will have Jabber username and password to connect to Jabber server to send notifications and Joomla administrators will have in Joomla saved their Jabber contacts and connection to Joomla will be allowed only from this Jabber IDS.
I think, that would be enaght authentication, what do you think?

Return to “Proposed projects”