I'm a student at university of Toronto. For the last 2 months I've been working on a component that would allow administrators create custom content types, store them in the database and process display them on frontend.
I modeled it after the Articles Component done completely in MVC.
So far my component does the following:
- Allows to create custom content types
- Custom node types are defined via table file
- table file contains form definition
- forms are dynamically generated
- custom content types are saved and updated via generated forms, no coding is necessary to generate forms
- Current fields types are "textfield", "dropdown", "textarea", "checkbox", "radiobutton", "images"
- Tree like category system is also integrated which allows unlimited depth of categories
- Client & Server side Form validation(which is defined in tables)
This application is 80% complete. I just have to finish deleting images functions and delete categories functions.
For SOC, I would to do the following:
- create an administrative interface for managing content
- add all standard joomla features, including edit permissions
- essentially do all the things that are necessary to make this application fit into joomla correctly
This application can also work as custom forms application, but it would need to have an administrator interface created for defining and configuring different content types.
If you're familiar with Drupal, I took CCK and Taxonomy as my foundations, I believe this would be a very useful contribution to the joomla community.
Could I be SOC student?
PS: If you would like, I would be happy to do a presentation of the component I created.