Idea: Digital blackboard.

cianclarke
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Idea: Digital blackboard.

Post by cianclarke » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:29 pm

The project I had in mind was a digital blackboard system for Joomla. Any second level schools (high schools) / small colleges that have a joomla based website would use this component, much like the webCT systsem or moodle.
There is a component in existence which does this, but it is neither open source nor free - I'd be looking at implementing a free version (free as in free beer!).
The features I had in mind were:

A student front end which would be accessed by a Joomla! menu item, consisting of:
Ability to respond to assignments, including attachments – definable maximum size and extensions
View lecture notes, slides and other course material
View previous assignments submitted along with their grades

A teacher / demonstrator back end consisting of:
Ability to post new assignments, with text-based or attachment based description. Ability for administrators/super-administrators to define maximum size and extensions teachers allowed use.
Ability to mail class lists via user's registered email address

Along with further functionality if there is time remaining.

I realise this is a pretty big project to take on, but I reckon that with a summer of solid work I could to it.
I also think this would be a very popular component.
How viable would this project be, would it be accepted? I really want to do the GsOC for Joomla rather than another project, as I use joomla so frequently and know it so well!

Niels Olson
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Idea: Digital blackboard.

Post by Niels Olson » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:15 pm

we're testing Joomla! for student-run web services at Tulane School of Medicine, mainly because

1) the University's BlackBoard system doesn't deliver what we want, so
2) thus students go off and set up their own sites every year, so
3) that content gets lost and people complain about the wildly varied user interfaces and passwords, etc, etc

So I'll definitely be keeping an eye out on this project! Keep it up!

deborahSusan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by deborahSusan » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:09 am

Having used BB as an instructor and a student, I appreciate it's value . . . and understand it's shortcomings.

This is an admirable task and its successful implementation would open the door for J! to expand into the realm of viable educational solutions like wild fire! Nothing says "affordable” to an industry strapped with budgetary deficits like “open source”.

Let's hear more about your idea!

cianclarke
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by cianclarke » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:51 pm

Thanks for the positive feedback! I've applied through GSoC, and once I let you know how my application goes I'll let you know!
Unfortunately I won't get the time to do this project over the summer in my own time as I'll have to secure a full time job, so fingers crossed for GSoC!

Niels Olson
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Niels Olson » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:33 pm

Any way we can petition Google on your behalf?

cianclarke
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by cianclarke » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:32 pm

I don't think so, hehe... As far as I know it's the mentors which Joomla have selected that decide if this goes ahead or not - really it probably depends on how many projects they are willing to take on this year as there are a lot of very good ideas. :)

cianclarke
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by cianclarke » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:14 pm

Sorry folks, afraid I didn't get accepted! :(

Return to “Proposed projects”