I'd like to share a solution I found. If it's been documented, I apologize for duplicating, but I hadn't found it anywhere and spent hours finding this solution.
I usually work with Linux/Apache, but a recent client had a Windows 2003 Server running IIS. There were about 9 different instances of Joomla 1.5.14 running and all but one worked. The one that didn't... What a pain... When I would install, I would get the "Select Language" screen, but could not progress past it. In IE, there was the error in the bottom left and when I clicked on it, I got this code:
Code: Select all
Webpage error details User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/4.0; GTB6; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0) Timestamp: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 23:25:28 UTC Message: Invalid character Line: 100 Char: 606 Code: 0 URI: http://---/media/system/js/mootools.js Message: Invalid character Line: 23 Char: 5 Code: 0 URI: http://---/installation/includes/js/installation.js Message: Invalid character Line: 246 Char: 5 Code: 0 URI: http://---/installation/template/js/validation.js Message: Object doesn't support this property or method Line: 19 Char: 4 Code: 0 URI: http://---/installation/index.php Message: Object expected Line: 88 Char: 3 Code: 0 URI: http://---/installation/index.php
I tried a work-around in which I copied everything from one of the other sites. That let me log in, but same result when I logged into admin.
What I finally found was that for that one install, the setup in IIS Manager was set to enable Document Footers. I've attached a screenshot of it. Once I disabled it, the install/site worked perfectly!
I spent hours finding this, even after the clients web host couldn't. Hopefully I can save someone else the headache!