I'm not new to installing tracking code on webpages, but I was having a bit of a trouble, and thought this might help people in the future.
I'm using J 1.7 on this site http://winnipegcarpetinstallers.com
I installed the snippet in the template (as the template had a box for adding the ID and generates the code). Google says no data.
I installed the snippet in a module position. Google says no data.
I finally thought about webmaster tools and verifying ownership of the site....Now GA is receiving data.
Moral of the story: Be sure to use webmaster tools to verify ownership of the site, or you may be unable to track a damn thing