Joomla vs Wordpress in sens of SEO

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla!. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

hamd
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Joomla vs Wordpress in sens of SEO

Post by hamd » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:06 pm

Can anyone please tell me which CMS is better choice for SEO:
1. joomla
2. Wordpress
3. Drupal

ranwilli
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Joomla vs Wordpress in sens of SEO

Post by ranwilli » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:19 pm

Not what you wanted to hear:

None are perfect out of the box...

All can be made a lot better than they are...

No matter which you pick, you will have to learn some things...
Don't HACK the Joomla! core, Instead "Extend" and/or "Override."
Stay ON the update path.
https://harpervance.com

v2interactive
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by v2interactive » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:18 pm

As much as I hate to say this, I've seen/experienced/read that WP is one of the best platforms as far as an SEO aspect out of the box with the least amount of effort.

This doesn't mean you can't get Joomla to rank higher, just means you will need a little bit more of customization and plugins.

Above mentions strictly ON PAGE SEO, such at header tags, URL structure, title structure and available plugins for SEF URLs and Sitemap compilers.
Josh
http://www.v2interactive.net - Atlanta Based Joomla Development and SEO

hamd
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by hamd » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:25 pm

Thanks a lot any other idea

Leftfield
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Leftfield » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:57 pm

Depends what type of site you need. If you need small site, do it in HTML, if you need serious CMS, then choose a real one = Joomla!
Personal website (SEO & SEM): https://www.vujosevic.com

KeywordLove
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by KeywordLove » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:44 pm

If you have very tiny CMS needs, I kinda favour WordPress. But I think for larger needs where you intend to spend time and resources, Joomla is better in the long run.
Use built-in scan preset for Joomla if 403/forbidden/Sh404SEF issues when using A1 Sitemap Generator
http://www.microsystools.com/products/s ... a-website/

Leftfield
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Leftfield » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:57 pm

Isn't Wordpress a blog tool? Not A CMS.

Agelor
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Agelor » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:49 am

@Leftfield: Wordpress can also be used as CMS, it is a lot more since the old days ;)

Purely on-page optimizing: out of the box Wordpress beats Joomla and Drupal. With customizing you can do a lot with the other two. In my experience Drupal is easier to customize as Joomla.

How I would not recommend a newbie Drupal beside that I would say Drupal is more for the bigger and complex websites. I recommend Wordpress for the people who need a simple website and a simple backend. Joomla for everything between it, this is a dangerous spot because Drupal as well Wordpress are growing very hard.
An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Leftfield
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Leftfield » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:12 am

@Agelor i deeply respect your opinion.

I like open source and i never liked to compare them. I was, I am and I will be the first one to forbid comparing threads: one open source VS other open source.

IMHO: WP is not secure. WP was defaced in a bulk and often in one time over 20 000 sites. Drupal is secure but with Joomla you can have better customizations. No one can tell me that you can do better sites with Drupal. Whatever Drupal can, or however big site is, Joomla can too. For me, Joomla has bigger possibilities, much more extensions and support.

hamd
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by hamd » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:42 am

Thanks a lot for the professional ideas

Agelor
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Agelor » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:38 am

Leftfield wrote:@Agelor i deeply respect your opinion.

I like open source and i never liked to compare them. I was, I am and I will be the first one to forbid comparing threads: one open source VS other open source.

IMHO: WP is not secure. WP was defaced in a bulk and often in one time over 20 000 sites. Drupal is secure but with Joomla you can have better customizations. No one can tell me that you can do better sites with Drupal. Whatever Drupal can, or however big site is, Joomla can too. For me, Joomla has bigger possibilities, much more extensions and support.
We are speaking about the point of view of SEO here right? I can speak about the abilities of all three systems but then it would be a thread you are suggested earlier in your post.

About the security:
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/0 ... often.html

The issue of the 20000 websites was properly when hosts as Godaddy were hacked and got into the backend systems of those hosting companies. This had nothing to do with the vulnerability of one of the open-source systems.

And yes I'm a fan of Joomla but I'm also realistic enough to see the facts.

v2interactive
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by v2interactive » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:32 pm

Agelor wrote:@Leftfield: Wordpress can also be used as CMS, it is a lot more since the old days ;)

Purely on-page optimizing: out of the box Wordpress beats Joomla and Drupal. With customizing you can do a lot with the other two. In my experience Drupal is easier to customize as Joomla.

How I would not recommend a newbie Drupal beside that I would say Drupal is more for the bigger and complex websites. I recommend Wordpress for the people who need a simple website and a simple backend. Joomla for everything between it, this is a dangerous spot because Drupal as well Wordpress are growing very hard.
Agreed. Wordpress IS technically a blogging tool; however, with a good plan and plugins available you can easily turn it into a 'mini' CMS. It has a bunch of powerful SEO tools and features that (if needed) you could have a site up and running within hours.
Leftfield wrote:@Agelor i deeply respect your opinion.

Well, any CMS or system using MySQL has a risk of being insecure. There are many SQL injection exploits that go live everyday. I've seen both WP, Joomla and Drupal sites being hacked from a simple exploit on the dB server side. Though, Joomla has more updates and release patches than WP, with the growing popularity of WP brings more hackers and more people wanting to bring harm to sites.

Just my 2 cents :pop
Josh
http://www.v2interactive.net - Atlanta Based Joomla Development and SEO

art knotly
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by art knotly » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:51 am

Wordpress is the best and easiest hands down, but you still need to learn some stuff.
To err is human, to forgive divine. Punch a baby!
http://basementdetective.com
http://moldremediation101.com

hamd
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Solved: Joomla vs Wordpress in sens of SEO

Post by hamd » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:21 pm

Thanks all, There are many ideas. Thanks a lot

sam32
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sam32 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:15 am

Another fan for WordPress here - sorry!

They have developed the multi-author aspect considerably, and it's a good choice for SEO for the reasons mentioned above. Also, Google seems to be favouring WordPress blogs right now (probably in part due to file paths/general structure).
Sam

hamd
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by hamd » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:22 am

I raised this question and I have noticed one thing that none of these CMSs are to be compared within each other. The SEO depends on developer method even if she/he is using any of these CMSs are even uses HTML.
Mr. ranwilli, I am agree with you.

nirvanakennels
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by nirvanakennels » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:17 am

some months back i dont knw anything about cms wp joomla druple etc..
but some1 told me to use joomla.. and joomla is so easy n wp is easiest but.. but i realized tht joomla is very powerful ... but wp also works fine for me.. but at the end i decided to use joomla for big websites n wp for small projects.. but i also found that wp sites gets more response in search engines

jimbo61
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jimbo61 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:31 am

There will always be tradeoffs, and Wrodpress can't really be compared to Joomla as Joomla has far more functionality than WP.

Where WP excells is it standing as a blog tool, it is set up to be spidered instantly, and if you adda decent ping list anything you post (as long as it meets the google quality level) will be indexed almost instantly 9as in within a day at most)

It is that rss feeding and pinging that really makes WP stand apart. However WP has its issues out of the box, not least that fact that a single post can create dozens of duplicate pages on your site due to tags, dates etc. You have to configure WP to be really SEF, but that is the same for most scripts.

Drupal is an entirely different beast with a learning curve steeper than a vertical cliff, use only if you have time to learn it.

martinmchan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by martinmchan » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:57 pm

I think that Each platform has its own needs and advantages. I use Wordpress because I am used to it , for my blogs, cms etc. However, wordpress was made in the first place for blogging, so I would definitely use them for a blog.For Joomla, they were used originally as a cms, so I recommend you try it out for a cms website.
Signature rules: Literal URLs only - http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65

cg15
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by cg15 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:49 am

if you want to bulid a business and commercial website,joomla is a better choice
if you want to bulid a Personal website or Personal blog,you can choice wordpress
Drupal...,sorry,i don't use it,so no sens of it
Signature rules: Literal URLs only - http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65

msmm2fusion
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by msmm2fusion » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:42 am

I consider myself IT literate but I have never used Joomla before. How long would it take me to create a better looking Joomla version of my current WP blog (www.msmmreview.com) and what consequences will this have on my overall SEO?

tbacks
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by tbacks » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:50 am

I like wordpress for setup. But if you want a complex site, Joomla is better. WP is a decent CMS if you have a small site or just want to blog.

msmm2fusion
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by msmm2fusion » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:01 am

tbacks wrote:I like wordpress for setup. But if you want a complex site, Joomla is better. WP is a decent CMS if you have a small site or just want to blog.
When you say "complex", you mean like a membership site or with more content?

alexadwords
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by alexadwords » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:16 am

I recommend Wordpress for the people who need a simple website and a simple backend. Joomla for everything between it, this is a dangerous spot because Drupal as well Wordpress are growing very hard.
Please read the forum rules regarding the use of signatures: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65

jajakob
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jajakob » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:03 am

I like wordpress for SEO, But now i try joomla to make business or commercial website.
http://deepolo.ran4u.com เสื้อโปโลชลบุรี
https://www.facebook.com/deepoloshirt ร้านเสื้อโปโลในชลบุรี

joomfriend
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by joomfriend » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:26 am

While Joomla is a serious CMS, the best out there (and I love it!), I think it lacks some SEO features out of the box. Wordpress is more into blogging but it performs well when it comes to SEO. I always wonder why Wordpress always get indexed faster by Search Engines and easily gets PageRank than Joomla? :( Big Question!
- https://www.adelnipet.com: Adelni Pet - Your Social Pet Network
- https://www.egliseprimitive.org: Christian Website

Agelor
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Agelor » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:17 pm

Those two points have nothing todo with the kind of CMS you use. Get indexed is all about getting/having good and relevant backlinks. Pagerank is one of the factors which value the rank of the SERP. How ever with those amount of factors you can not say that one specific CMS gets a higher PR. Saying that, pagerank doesn't guarantee anything so if I were you I wouldn't bother to much about Pageranks...

westgallagher
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by westgallagher » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:33 pm

Echoe the above - Joomla is my favourite overall but Wordpress is slightly ahead in SEO terms.

Joomla can be extremely well optimised but the effort needed surpasses Wordpress, with All in One SEO and many others making life very simple indeed.

ameen2010
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ameen2010 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:13 am

I love Joomla when I spend time in it and WordPress too and I had a rule of thumb….Joomla is a fantastic CMS, but WordPress is just so much simpler for most people to get to grips with.

davidkorku
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by davidkorku » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:27 pm

I prefer Joomla, i have two webpages and joomla has best position 8) ... and joomla is more easy :D

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 1.5”