Joomla, Drupal or Wordpress ?

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla!. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

nettiehughes
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Joomla, Drupal or Wordpress ?

Post by nettiehughes » Sat May 21, 2011 9:18 am

I am a freelance web developer (newbie). I know xhtml, CSS and SEO. Now, i want to learn a CMS. I want to learn a CMS which has a promising career for a freelancer. Plz guide. Thanks in advance.

ranwilli
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Joomla, Drupal or Wordpress ?

Post by ranwilli » Sat May 21, 2011 11:56 am

Contrary to what I would have said a year or two ago, I feel it would be in your best interest to learn all three...

It is not a "one size fits all" situation. WordPress has made great strides in the recent past, and is a very capable CMS now rather than just a blog platform. Joomla is still enormously powerful, especially since the introduction of 1.6... Drupal has long been recognized as the leader with the tallest learning curve...

You will find clients needing help in all three, and you'd be well-positioned to give good advice to clients regarding which to use...
Don't HACK the Joomla! core, Instead "Extend" and/or "Override."
Stay ON the update path.
https://harpervance.com

PushkarCMS
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by PushkarCMS » Mon May 23, 2011 8:42 pm

Joomla is the best! wordpress is mainly for blogs and drupal is much more complex to implement.

wds_mel
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by wds_mel » Sun May 29, 2011 12:12 pm

Hi hope you are doing great , I believe it depends on the choices of your client, however the robust scalable power of Joomla makes developing and the control there off much easier.

i guess all 3 the mentioned management system is supported well however the Joomla support community is huge and always ready to help

I hope this helps

Regards

Mel :eek:

harryhamlin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by harryhamlin » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:13 am

Learning something which you doesn't know would always help you at some point of time. So learn what ever you can and grab all opportunities heading your way.

William01
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by William01 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:59 am

I love working on Joomla! CMS. Joomla CMS is an excellent content management system allowing easy management and maintenance of your website, with little or no programming knowledge needed.

defcon6
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by defcon6 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:12 pm

Learn them all, Like ranwilli said, WordPress is making big strides, I see templates for WP that look as good as Joomla. Joomla is just great, with lots of help and a huge community.
The more I practice, the luckier I get.
http://www.stephencassidy.nl

alexndawson
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by alexndawson » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:36 pm

PushkarCMS wrote:Joomla is the best! wordpress is mainly for blogs and drupal is much more complex to implement.
This one reason I want to be familiar with Joomla. I've been pretty much familiar with wordpress, but there is always something missing. Hope Joomla can fill it in.

Leena Martina
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Leena Martina » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:46 am

All CMS are good and you can learn all.
Signature rules: Literal URLs only - http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65

alexndawson
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by alexndawson » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:57 am

I think when we talk of ranking, it all depends on the contents of the website. I see a lot of static websites rank well because they have good and quality contents in it, it's also unique and provide solid information for the readers. This is what the search engine wants, the SEO plugins are just a bonus.

brendtcollins
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by brendtcollins » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:01 am

nettiehughes wrote:I am a freelance web developer (newbie). I know xhtml, CSS and SEO. Now, i want to learn a CMS. I want to learn a CMS which has a promising career for a freelancer. Plz guide. Thanks in advance.
I think Drupal is more flexible but have a longer learning curve, but it depends on one's ability to learn it faster. But if you're just developing smaller websites, joomla and wordpress are the way to go.

ranwilli
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by ranwilli » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:58 am

I stand by my original advice... if one has the bandwidth (and I do not), learning all three to the greatest extent possible would position one to really, really be of value to a whole spectrum of clients and prospects.

A reasoned valid answer to the "Joomla, Wordpress, or Drupal" question would be very useful to just about anyone.
Stay ON the update path.

Danver
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Danver » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:17 am

Yeah learning all 3 versions is a valid awnser... but even the joomla community must admit that older versions don't do a good job at SEO right of the box.. you need to though some work to get it working right. That's why I prefer working with Wordpress in combination with the Wordpress SEO plugin from yoast... it simply doesn't get any better...

If you want to read more about my experience with joomla please read my blogpost at:
http://uselesslog.[spam].com/post/10685 ... ust-say-no

Carefull though it kinda is a rant.

Oh and if you want to see the joomla site I optimized for SEO go here:
http://www.anexe.nl

If you have tips for even better SEO optimization for this site please let me know as I'm learning new stuff everyday and your feedback is more then welcome!~

Regards, Rudi
Anexe Adviesbureau Bedrijfsoptimalisatie Leiden
Omzet verhogen, medewerkers motiveren of processen stroomlijnen?
Wij blijven totdat uw doelstellingen zijn gehaald.

ranwilli
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by ranwilli » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:37 am

Danver wrote:... That's why I prefer working with Wordpress in combination with the Wordpress SEO plugin from yoast... it simply doesn't get any better...

So, how is that "out of the box"???
Stay ON the update path.

Osku
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Osku » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:39 am

Wordpress really does most of the heavy lifting out of the box. I would say if your doing a hardcore Intranet you should use Drupal but most sites do ok with Joomla.
My latest website: http://www.halvinlaina.fi/
News from the industry: http://www.vippilaina.org/vertailu/
«Webdesign is better than chocolate.»

Danver
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Danver » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:55 am

ranwilli wrote:
Danver wrote:... That's why I prefer working with Wordpress in combination with the Wordpress SEO plugin from yoast... it simply doesn't get any better...

So, how is that "out of the box"???
Haha yeah your right :) still one very easy to install plugin that requires minimal setup ;) oh and it's free ;)

Danver
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Danver » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:22 am

PushkarCMS wrote:Joomla is the best! wordpress is mainly for blogs and drupal is much more complex to implement.
Wordpress is long past it's only for blogging phase... there are some great examples out there to prove this...

EricSWB
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by EricSWB » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:04 pm

Joomla is the best. You can do anything with some extensions. I agree that WordPress is more for blogs than informational websites.

viewerpro
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by viewerpro » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:36 am

Yes, Me too. Joomla is the best when chose in this problem. You will feel great when use Joomla in the website.

ronriley
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ronriley » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:00 am

I think all three(3) can do a very good job, it just depends on the level of expertise on implementation. I agree that Wordpress is very user friendly that even a complete beginner can learn it easily, but there are far more features in Joomla and Drupal(I think) which are more very flexible. For now I don't know which, that's why I'm here to discover it :)

iMikeDesigns
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by iMikeDesigns » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:13 pm

Learn php and youll know all 3!

michaelhicks
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by michaelhicks » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:18 pm

I wasn't wrong when I joined here few minutes ago, lots of discussions here that could be beneficial to me, specially I'm a Joomla newbie. I'm currently using Wordpress but want to start my next website in Joomla.

danielletowner
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by danielletowner » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:08 pm

Great insight on some of the most popular open source CMS!

jbsgroup
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jbsgroup » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:04 pm

This is the best CMS in the world :
1. Joomla 1.5
2. Joomla 1.5
3. Joomla 1.5
4. Joomla 1.7
5. Wordpress
Link Directory http://howandlearn.com | Indonesia Tours And Traves >> http://indonesiatoursandtravels.com

CarolWales
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by CarolWales » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:57 am

Drupal is one of the most popular content management systems. It is an open source application and it is also very user friendly. One can easily create custom web portals with the functions provided by Drupal. It is the best suit to the small and medium businesses. Even a newbie will be able to work with Drupal easily which makes it a complete value for money.

dewanf
I've been banned!

Post by dewanf » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:30 am

Wordpress site is good for blogging. Joomla site is good for Official blogs or E-commerce site ever more social networking site. Drupal is good if Anyone is so much expert in this platform but from my view I don't like it.

Jyothish88
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Jyothish88 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:31 am

I think it's joomla ... since joomla has a wide range of extensions,components tools, active forum(quick response),templates etc... Also customization is very simple in joomla.

BlueTyphoon
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by BlueTyphoon » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:46 pm

I recommend you to build a blog but not CMS as freelancer to promote yourself. Joomla can build almost of all type of websites, but you must config Joomla with much work so that it can work as you want.

Wordpress is simpler than Joomla, easier use than Joomla, Wordpress good for you to build article one by one orderly. exactly, wordpress good and easy for blog, Joomla good build more features of website including simply blog but not simple to use

JwMann2
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by JwMann2 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:06 am

nettiehughes wrote:I am a freelance web developer (newbie). I know xhtml, CSS and SEO. Now, i want to learn a CMS. I want to learn a CMS which has a promising career for a freelancer. Plz guide. Thanks in advance.
Knowing all three will allow you to make more profits. Some customers will prefer certain platforms over the other. For example, before I had help with my JOOMLA site, I was interested in WordPress because I already knew so much about it. Learn all 3 if you are serious about your business.
Please read forum rules regarding signatures: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=65

tina_B
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by tina_B » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:44 am

if I were you I will learn joomla cause almost every webmaster usually already knows about Wordpress and usually on freelancer its really hard to get project that related with Wordpress cause so many peoples already familiar with wordpress platform.

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 1.5”