add SEF & URL rewrites & keeping current search engine rank

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla!. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

mkoontz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

add SEF & URL rewrites & keeping current search engine rank

Post by mkoontz » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:12 pm

I have taken over administration of our associations website. The previous guy we were paying, who initially set it up, did not do any SEO optimization for the site. We are running the latest version of Joomla! 1.5 with Joomfish to manage translations from Greek to English. I am going to be working on setting up a new site from scratch using Joomla 3.x. Until then I would like to do some SEO optimization on our current site to help make the transition easier for when we switch to the new site.

One thing that is of concern to me currently is the "Alias's" for the Greek Articles. The articles in Greek, of course, have Greek Titles. As such Joomla! automatically translated those in to dates and times for the Alias as it does for titles in non-latin characters. The guy who created the site initially did not type an alternate alias in latin characters for those Greek articles. I want to change the existing alias's for all of those articles to Greeklish (latin characters representing the Greek alphabet). I want to do this the best way possible without ruining our current search engine status as the site has been around for about 6 or 7 years now. However I believe if I do this properly it will greatly help our sites search engine ranking.

I will be enabling SEF as well as URL rewrites in Global Configuration. I know that doing this improperly will end up breaking bookmarks and search engine rankings.

I thought about using the sitemap I just created, which obviously has all the page links, and inputing those in to the Google, MSN & Yahoo search engine's webmaster tools to do permanent redirects to point to the new Alias's. I know I can also do 301 permanent redirects but my host doesn't allow .htaccess files so I'm currently waiting to hear from them on how they implement those.

I know I will need to do 301 redirects for sure for the Greek Articles but what about the English articles. They have the normal alias's named after their English titles but since I will be enabling SEF as well as URL rewrites will I need to do permanent redirects for them as well? I believe the answer is yes but just want to make sure before I put myself in to too much trouble.

I appreciate any help you guys can give me on guiding me towards the best possible solution.

If you would like to look at the website to see what I'm talking about here is the URL:
http://www.chiropractic.gr

Leftfield
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: add SEF & URL rewrites & keeping current search engine r

Post by Leftfield » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:54 pm

Every URL that will be changed, no matter of language, should be redirected with 301. Make sure you are following Google guidance.

I highly recommend not to redirect low quality content
Real Estate Budva https://realestatebudva.com

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 1.5”