JCE and Jevents frontend problem

Need help with a WYSIWYG-editor in Joomla! 1.0.x? This is the place to be.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
soaresa
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

JCE and Jevents frontend problem

Post by soaresa » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:11 pm

I installed JCE 1.1.6 and works great so far, but when one of the users at the website tried to add an event, from the frontend, using JEvents 1.4, the save button won't work.

Will work with the TinyMCE and with No Editor selection but not with JCE.

Does anyone have any clue?  :'(

erixis
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: JCE and Jevents frontend problem

Post by erixis » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:26 pm

I'm having the same problem here. If anyone has found a solution, I'd like to know.

It isn't editor init string. My Rocket Theme template contains the following:
global $my;
if ( $my->id ) {
initEditor();
}

Also, TinyMCE works, but JCE doesn't, at least with JEvents it won't work. It will edit other site content, and it works fine in the backend.

Eric

costicanu
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by costicanu » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:53 pm

Login into your Joomla backend. Select Extensions => Plugin Manager => disable Editor - TinyMCE 2.0 plugin.
That should solve your problem.

ironbadge
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ironbadge » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:48 pm

I am using Rocket theme Afterburner. JCE shows a big text box on frontend when I click "submit an article."
I disabled TinyMCE plugin, still does not work. It does work in backend.
TinyMCE works everywhere with everything.
Anyone knows, please help!

erixis
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by erixis » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:15 pm

I believe this is a conflict with the Rockettheme input styling css code. Go to your template manager in the Joomla adminstration backend and open your Rockettheme template, and turn off or disable 'input styling' and it should work.

Cheers!

Eric

ironbadge
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ironbadge » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:36 pm

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the tip. I did not see "input styling" but I did see "Mootools enable" was off and I enabled it and JCE works now at frontend.

The input area with the tool bar looks okay but other elements are quite in wrong places. The "edit" icon (the little pencil) on top of the articles is located apart (across the article title) from the rest of the icons.

JCE works fine in other templates. I think this Rocket template is not good. Rocket Theme forum does not allow free users, therefore I could not post to ask. Also, it's strange I could not find any post about JCE.

I am about to remove this Rocket template and stick with the Joomla stock ones.

Thanks.

erixis
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by erixis » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:24 am

RT templates are good, but they are complicated and it seems as Joomla grows, there are more opportunities for little glitches like this.

Try Joomla Bamboo. www.joomlabamboo.com. Its is a paid template site, but there are a few free ones, and the owner, Anthony offers very good support, and they are not too complicated.

Depending on your needs, you might also try using Artisteer template builder. artisteer.com. It provides a LOT of options to automatically change your template, and exports it all as a folder or a zip that can then be installed. You can download a free copy to try out, but you'll have to purchase it to make it create them with out watermarks. Its $129 but you can create literally thousands of themes with it, and not have to pay for any other fees.

ironbadge
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ironbadge » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:16 am

Hi Erixis,

Thanks for your reply.

It seems JCE has some problems too. Anytime I clicked the "Read more" or "Page break" button, it exited to the Joomla CP. I switched to Purity but it does not improve. I uninstalled JCE and TinyMCE works again.

The Bamboo templates look really cool. I don't mind paying some money to get a decent template but I think I should test it first to make sure it meets my requirements and... works. I will try them all.

Artisteer is also an option too and the price is affordable. I actually eyed on it few days ago while searching across Joomla website to find desperately a suitable "in-house developed" template.

Thanks for sharing!

erixis
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by erixis » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:48 am

You said: It seems JCE has some problems too. Anytime I clicked the "Read more" or "Page break" button, it exited to the Joomla CP. I switched to Purity but it does not improve. I uninstalled JCE and TinyMCE works again.

I've had these problems with JCE too. I'm researching to find out how I fixed it. Will post back when I have your answer!

erixis
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by erixis » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:55 am

Try this link, it solved my read more problems kicking me out of the admin session.

http://www.joomlacontenteditor.net/foru ... 694#p22343

This post includes a link to a patch file for JCE. This worked to fix my problem. Hope it helps yours.
:)

ironbadge
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ironbadge » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:58 am

Erixis,

You saved my day. Now it works and way beyond my expectation.

It is a surprise the author of JCE does not post this piece of life saver on the product website. Now YOU made me think about purchasing some additional plugins from them, not their ads :D

Thanks a lot Erixis!
:D

erixis
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by erixis » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:30 am

Glad to have helped. That's the beauty of Open Source. :)

Be sure to check out the JCE Utilities and the plug ins. They are definitely worth it. I use them in all my joomla installs so my users can include their videos, documents and upload their images easily. None of the other editors come close.

I agree with you though, I don't know why that issue is so hard to find the correction for.

ironbadge
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ironbadge » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:57 am

Hi Erixis,

I am not too far from getting the whole JCE set. Very soon though :D

I have another issue with JCE and the Purity template: When I try to edit right on the home page with two left and right blocks, the editor slides/sneaks behind the right block since it does not fit (larger) than the "content" area.

Since it is not covered under this thread, I will look in that template sub forum.

Thanks again!

erixis
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by erixis » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:08 am

Go to the JCE Manager and edit the Group settings. You can set the width and height of your editor there. That should solve that problem.

ironbadge
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ironbadge » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:33 am

I did. I even tried 300 x 300 and nothing happened. It seems the size setting does not effect the editor at all.
In the Rocket theme, when I clicked the edit button, all the right module vanished.

erixis
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by erixis » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:19 pm

In JCE configuration, do you have the 'use template css' turned off? That might help.

ironbadge
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ironbadge » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:19 pm

Hi Erixis,

I found it!

I first try to turn of the CSS template using as you suggested, then turn off and adjust the width (and the height). No response. I returned all default settings.

I then clicked the hide/unhide button. The no-toolbar window then fitted in the content area. I went back to configuration-layout and reorganized the buttons to the left. I used all the buttons :D (I'm greedy :D ) therefore I must use 4 rows to fit them all in. Bingo!

It's because the too large toolbar the editor window could not contract to fit in the content window. I tried with Milkyway. JCE now does not push the right blocks out of the frame as yesterday.

So far so good. If anything else happens, I will come to you again :D

Thanks a lot, Erixis!

PS: I wonder why I did not come to the board sooner. Well it's true I must try before crying for help but... :D

erixis
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by erixis » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:18 am

Glad you've worked out a solution, and also that you posted here. Now someone else will have a chance to benefit from it.

I ALWAYS go to the board first. Not too many problems out there that haven't been fixed by someone else at least once!

Cheers!
Eric

sspiderman
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by sspiderman » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:40 am

erixis,
I too thank you for the information, it took a while, but I got it narrowed and it's looking good...mostly. I seem to have no "cancel" or "save" buttons. When the editor loads they flash for an instant and then they are gone, but if I highlite the page, I can see where they should be. We are running vers-1.5.11

One other thing I noticed, when I go into the back-end the editor is the same narrow width as the front-end. Is there any way to seperate them so the back end is full width?

Thanks again for your help

erixis
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by erixis » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:40 pm

sspiderman,
Check in your JCE Utilities plug in also. Make sure it is ver 2.2.2 and that you've got the right settings there, as well as in your component configuration.

mbluett
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mbluett » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:46 pm

The fact that SAVE doesn't work can be caused by turning on the "Check for any conflicting events" under "Event Editing" in the Jevents Configuration section.

I am using JCE v1.5.7.4 and it works without problem as long as I don't set the setting I mentioned above.

Return to “WYSIWYG Editors - 1.0.x”