Joomla Platform 12.1

Share your Joomla wisdom with the Community on Trending Topics in this forum.
filbar
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joomla Platform 12.1

Postby filbar » Wed May 30, 2012 10:08 am

I read the article about Joomla Platform 12.1 and from this article I understand, that in Joomla 3.0 will be new way of development of Joomla extensions. Will be in this Joomla some way of backward compatibility for existing components?

JohnDevise
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Joomla Platform 12.1

Postby JohnDevise » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:17 am

filbar wrote:I read the article about Joomla Platform 12.1 and from this article I understand, that in Joomla 3.0 will be new way of development of Joomla extensions. Will be in this Joomla some way of backward compatibility for existing components?

I'm not a Joomla developers team member, but I think that Joomla will be compatibility for existing components.
Imagine for a moment how many customers Joomla will lose if the old and the new version will be very different. In my opinion it would be very wrong on their part.

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Postby Tonie » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:29 am

It's not that 3.0 has a completely new way of developing extensions. As with all newer versions of Joomla, some functions are removed and some new ones are added. This is not done overnight, older functions have already been marked that are going to be removed.

This basically means that if an extension uses functions that are available in 30, and extension should work.

SEMaster
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Postby SEMaster » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:16 pm

There are Joomla versions that would be compatible for some extensions or not. In Joomla 3.0, it has definitely developed a new method of creating extensions. The only problem is whether all the previous extensions would still be working in different Joomla versions.

Return to “Trending Topics”