Article submission guidelines

A place to discuss policy and process topics for the Joomla! Community Magazine.

Moderator: Community Magazine

porwig
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Article submission guidelines

Post by porwig » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:35 pm

JCM editors:

Please review the draft Joomla! Community Magazine Article Submission Guidelines document, and let's discuss what changes, additions, and improvements need to be made to it.

When we get the "Coming soon" web page published (hopefully in the next few days) we will include a link to this document.

Thanks to everyone for your help and support for the magazine!

paul
Paul Orwig

Robert_Vining
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Article submission guidelines

Post by Robert_Vining » Sat May 01, 2010 12:48 am

Thanks for all your work on this Paul, I know it's been no small undertaking.

I have a quick question about the titles to the articles. It states in the article submission guidelines:

1. Headline-Do not capitalize every word of the headline

But normal writing practices along with the blog and articles on joomla.org all have the first letter capitalized. e.g.

The Joomla! Community Magazine is About to Launch!

Can we clarify here?

HarryB
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Roles: Current and Open

Post by HarryB » Sat May 01, 2010 4:04 pm

Do all submitted articles have to be Joomla! and/or CMS related or are articles on other OSS (Linux for example) candidates for inclusion in the magazine?

[Mod: Moved post to different thread]
If you need a helping hand, use the one at the end of your own arm.
www.hrpr.com

porwig
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by porwig » Sun May 02, 2010 1:12 am

Robert, thanks for looking over the Article Submission Guidelines (ASG) document so closely. I am sure it needs more fine-tuning and questions such as yours will help make it and the upcoming style guide better. I have edited both references to headlines in that document as being under review/discussion until we decide how to treat them.

That part of the ASG was borrowed with permission from FlyingSolo, who publish an online magazine among other things. Dex Randall secured their permission and also created the initial draft of the ASG.

I agree that capitalizing all words (or at least most words) in headlines is widespread (including as you point out on the Community site which carries a lot of weight IMHO), but I think that not capitalizing all words in titles is also an accepted practice. For example in addition to FlyingSolo, my local newspaper the Denver Post only capitalizes the first word of a title (unless there's a proper noun, etc in the title).

So I think how we treat capitalization in headlines for the magazine is ultimately is up to us, with some of the main criteria being:

* Consistency-Once we decide on a style rule we should be consistent with it. I don't think the magazine has to follow the capitalization style on the Community site, but it is definitely a precedent to consider (also in line with the next "simplicity" point).
* Simplicity-What will be easiest in this community project with lots of authors? If we can avoid extra work for editors that's a good thing. If capitalizing most words in titles is seen as more common we can definitely follow that convention.
* Style-What kind of look/image do we want for the magazine? Here's where I think non-capitalization is a better fit for the magazine's style. I think capitalizing all words in headlines is more formal/traditional than not capitalizing.

So that's how I see this point, I hope that helps clarify your good question about capitalization for headlines in the magazine. What do you (and other team members) think we should do? Nothing's written in stone here so let's think it through some more and figure out how we want to handle this.
Paul Orwig

porwig
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Roles: Current and Open

Post by porwig » Sun May 02, 2010 1:26 am

HarryB wrote:Do all submitted articles have to be Joomla! and/or CMS related or are articles on other OSS (Linux for example) candidates for inclusion in the magazine?
Thanks Harry that's a good question. Articles should have an explicit and strong connection to Joomla!, but Joomla! doesn't necessarily have to be the primary focus of every article.

To take your Linux example, I don't think a feature article about the history of Linux would be a good candidate for the magazine. But I do think a feature article comparing/contrasting how Linux developed/grew/evolved to how Joomla! developed grew/evolved would be an outstanding candidate for the magazine!
Paul Orwig

Robert_Vining
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Robert_Vining » Sun May 02, 2010 2:03 am

My personal preference from a blogger's standpoint is to capitalize the first letter of most words as I did in the example above.

This seems to have been included in the mockup as well from the screen shot on the landing page of the magazine right now.

But after your points made about the Denver Post and others, I took a second to look at our local newspaper site as well, the Houston Chronicle and they do the same as the Post in Denver. Only the first letter and proper nouns are capitalized. Yahoo is the same way, only the first letter and proper nouns.

I know what I do from habit, but that doesn't make it right.

You make valid points and I don't want to change for the sake of change. Just want to make sure I'm doing what everyone else is doing.

I look forward to others input on this.

Thanks again Paul!

HarryB
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by HarryB » Sun May 02, 2010 12:53 pm

...Articles should have an explicit and strong connection to Joomla!, but Joomla! doesn't necessarily have to be the primary focus of every article....
Paul...thanks for the guidance on article content. Good luck with this latest incarnation of the Joomla! Magazine. :)
If you need a helping hand, use the one at the end of your own arm.
www.hrpr.com

porwig
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by porwig » Sun May 02, 2010 4:15 pm

HarryB wrote:
...Articles should have an explicit and strong connection to Joomla!, but Joomla! doesn't necessarily have to be the primary focus of every article....
Paul...thanks for the guidance on article content. Good luck with this latest incarnation of the Joomla! Magazine. :)
Thanks for the good wishes Harry, I hope you will consider submitting an article for the magazine!
Paul Orwig

Return to “Joomla! Community Magazine Editors”