Launch timeline

A place to discuss policy and process topics for the Joomla! Community Magazine.

Moderator: Community Magazine

porwig
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Launch timeline

Postby porwig » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:47 pm

I think we are close enough to the launch to post a summary timeline. Let's discuss this timeline including things that need to be added or changed.

Take this timeline as a goal, with the clear understanding that it's okay if things come up which might delay the launch!

Complete 4/29-Fotis: Post "Coming soon" page to the magazine URL
Complete 5/2-Nick A: Create .doc template for new articles, email to Fotis
Complete (but not by Paul) 5/3-Paul: Upgrade magazine J! instance to 1.5.17
5/3-Paul: Write Community blog post announcing magazine and pointing community members to the "Coming soon" page.
Mid May-Fotis/Komrade: Deliver finished K2/Komrade design
5/20-Deadline for submitting new articles for the first issue
5/23-Paul/Elin: Finalize Contributer License Agreement
5/30-Editors: Finish editing articles for first issue
6/1-Paul/Airton: Publish first issue, write Community blog post, add link on Community site.
6/1: All-Let the world know that the Joomla! Community Magazine is live!
Paul Orwig

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Launch timeline

Postby brian » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:21 pm

Thanks for the update.

would it not make more sense to finalize the CLA before the deadline for submitting articles? I'd hate to spend the time researching and writing an article only to find that I cant agree to the CLA
"Exploited yesterday... Hacked tomorrow"
Blog http://brian.teeman.net/
Joomla Hidden Secrets http://hiddenjoomlasecrets.com/

porwig
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Postby porwig » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:27 pm

brian wrote:would it not make more sense to finalize the CLA before the deadline for submitting articles? I'd hate to spend the time researching and writing an article only to find that I cant agree to the CLA

Great question Brian. The answer is definitely yes in the ideal case, and if it turns out this is a widely held concern for authors we can definitely change the schedule accordingly.

The reason I drafted the timeline above in that sequence is (1) if possible I would like to try and make the June 1 launch date, (2) I have a feeling that getting the CLA finalized may take more than another couple of weeks (my fault due to poor multitasking/lack of planning ahead).

From the discussions I have had with Elin on this, I think the main aspects of the CLA will be that (1) Authors will retain full copyright over their articles, and (2) OSM will retain the right to re-publish those articles in the future and in different format/media (including print).

I have published a Article submissions guidelines Google doc which includes a summary of the CLA along with article submission guidelines. I am hopeful that this general understanding of the CLA will be sufficient for most authors. Of course the magazine will understand and respect the wishes of anyone who wants to wait for the final CLA before deciding if they can accept it.

Assuming this timeline sequence does not change, we may end up asking authors for the first issue to either formally accept the final CLA through an email, or ask them to re-submit their article through the pre-launch magazine form (which will include some type of CLA acceptance checkbox).

I recognize this isn't the most elegant timeline or process for the initial issue, but it's the best I've been able to think of with the June 1 launch goal. If you or others have other ideas about how to better address this, this is the place to discuss them!
Paul Orwig

porwig
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Postby porwig » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:02 am

My apologies to Brian. He posted a response to my previous post above saying that the link I provided was only viewable to those with a community.joomla.org email address. I intended to hit the "Quote" button and respond, but instead I hit the adjacent "Edit" button. It was only after I submitted my response that I saw that I had over-written Brian's post instead of responding to it.

Brian, please try this new link for the Article submission guidelines document and let me know if it works for you! I have also updated the link in my previous post in case anyone else tries that link.
Paul Orwig

Return to “Joomla! Community Magazine Editors”