GSOC 2015 discussions & planning

Do you have an idea for the Joomla community that you can help implement? Discuss in here.
Forum rules
Global Rules
Posting guidelines for this board <-- please read before posting.

Joomla Idea Pool <-- Add your suggestions for future versions of Joomla and vote on current suggestions.
darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

GSOC 2015 discussions & planning

Post by darb » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:25 am

Hi

I suggest that you hare in the forum create a new department/forum for discussions of interests/different topics around importance of Google Summer of Code GSOC 2015.

Its good to plan way ahead and let new students & mentors Joomla community interact and share ideas.

What you think?
Success in the long run Its not about the code its about the people and community that's make it!
Its not what you say its what you do that matters!

Darb - aka ssnobben

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: GSOC 2015 discussions & planning

Post by brian » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:35 am

"Exploited yesterday... Hacked tomorrow"
Blog http://brian.teeman.net/
Joomla Hidden Secrets http://hiddenjoomlasecrets.com/

darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by darb » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:43 am

brian wrote:This is already well under way https://docs.joomla.org/GSOC_2015_Project_Ideas
Thats is good but we also need the whole community to come up with ideas, improvements a n d students to discuss and talk about this topic in our forum here.

It will create more buzz, marketing and interests to students world wide that Joomla care about them. I think also with some info/direct link on main Joomla page...there is no way you can see this info as a student now.

Can you create a forum for these discussions and a first post with directions to docs and past history and links to Google GSOC etc? what you think?

rgds
Success in the long run Its not about the code its about the people and community that's make it!

Darb - aka ssnobben

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brian » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:45 am

Patience is a virtue - the application process with Google for Joomla to be a part of the program is still not completed.
"Exploited yesterday... Hacked tomorrow"
Blog http://brian.teeman.net/
Joomla Hidden Secrets http://hiddenjoomlasecrets.com/

darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by darb » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:18 am

brian wrote:Patience is a virtue - the application process with Google for Joomla to be a part of the program is still not completed.
Well that is ok.

What I would like us to do is that we have a material to send out to different Universities in the world to encourage students to participate with Joomla GSOC 2015 so they create interests and goodwill to be part of that.

If you write an general invitation document that we the community can translate to our language(s) we can use it now to send it to different universities in our country. Here in Sweden I can send it to about 5-8 universities I guess and its good to do it beforehand so they can prepare and plan for it on every levels.

What you think? Its about marketing and maybe our marketing dep? :) already doing stuff like this but I have no idea bcs there is no info anywhere what the marketing dep doing or not here...

Darb - aka ssnobben

alikon
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by alikon » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:09 am

in the past years we have used this google group as a channell
Nicola Galgano
i know that i don't know
www.alikonweb.it

darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by darb » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:13 pm

alikon wrote:in the past years we have used this google group as a channell
There should be more information on Joomla.org main page!!! it should be very easy for students that goes to Joomla to have an invitation to participate and plan for GSOCs in future and now.

This is one of Joomlas and OSM important target and we must promote this in a better way so how do we do that?

Darb - aka ssnobben

mbabker
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by mbabker » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:05 pm

As for students looking for projects, their primary hub is the Google Melange application which is the hub for all GSoC related projects. From that hub, students are linked to whichever resources the project needs to share. The 2014 project page is at https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org ... 014/joomla (but note that it's a bit less informative after students are selected than during the signup process), note that there are links to all the main places for students (the idea list, the project's main homepage, and other contact points). For students, they are getting all of the information they need from the Melange dashboard and in my time supporting the program, this has worked well for us. There are also blog posts scheduled after the organizations that Google will be accepting are announced where we encourage students to get involved. We typically don't do much more than start our ideas list during the organization application period as during this point, it isn't known if Joomla will be accepted as a mentoring organization yet.

darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by darb » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:31 pm

Yes I see this now.

GSoC 2015: Mentoring organizations can begin submitting applications to Google.
when Mon, den 9 februari, 11:00 – 12:00

https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/eve ... d=noscript

And this info time table and that mentoring application deadline have passed now..

GSoC 2015: Mentoring organization application deadline.
when Fri, on 20 februari, 11:00 – 12:00

GSoC 2015: List of accepted mentoring organizations published on the Google Summer of Code 2015 site.
when Mon, den 2 mars, 11:00 – 12:00

GSoC 2015: Student application period opens.
when Mon, den 16 mars, 12:00 – 13:00

So hope we have plan and engage for GSOC 2015 then.. who is doing all this planning and engagement(s)?

rgs

Darb - aka ssnobben

Return to “Joomla! Ideas Forum”