Lack of Core Functionality

Do you have an idea for the Joomla community that you can help implement? Discuss in here.
Forum rules
Global Rules
Posting guidelines for this board <-- please read before posting.

Joomla Idea Pool <-- Add your suggestions for future versions of Joomla and vote on current suggestions.
Boxhead7
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Lack of Core Functionality

Post by Boxhead7 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:34 am

Hello everybody, at first I want to say that I really appreciate the hard work, that is done by developers of this great CMS, but I want to know why is this great software lacking such a simple functions, for example adding a new custom field to a particular category? (without using additional extensions)

When I was using drupal, at first I was stunned by the fact that it has no built in text editor, I just can't understand it. With first look Joomla looks more solid and complete but still, I think some very basic functions are missing.

It would be nice to hear from experienced joomla users. (Your Opinion)
Last edited by imanickam on Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Per the Forum Rules, changed the case of the Subject that was ALL IN UPPERCASE to Mixed Case. Please do not repeat this in the future.

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: LACK OF CORE FUNCTIONALITY

Post by DaveOzric » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:39 am

Boxhead7 wrote:Hello everybody, at first I want to say that I really appreciate the hard work, that is done by developers of this great CMS, but I want to know why is this great software lacking such a simple functions, for example adding a new custom field to a particular category? (without using additional extensions)
I do not understand your question. What do you mean add custom field to a category? Can you be more specific what that is?

Boxhead7
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Boxhead7 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:48 am

I'm sorry for my bad English :( When I create an article there are fields for: Title, Date, Image, Main Text, but I want to create my own custom fields depending on a website. It may be anything, for example if the article is about football match it may be score line, attendance or something like that. Most of the CCK s are complexed. But the point is that I don't understand why is that such a simple functions are not in core version.

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by DaveOzric » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:55 am

Probably because it's not needed?? You can add anything you want in the content area.

Boxhead7
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Boxhead7 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:59 am

Not Needed? If That's what Joomla! Guru thinks than ok :)

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by DaveOzric » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:04 am

I still don't exactly understand what you are looking for.

You want a field to be in all articles that you can fill in like the title, author or date, etc? Where would you have this displayed on the frontend for users to see?

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by DaveOzric » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:08 am

It may be possible to use overrides to do what you want. Just need more specifics on where this field is in editor and where the users sees it on frontend.

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:14 am

These so called simple functions are not "simple" to add to Joomla core and therefore they are handled with CCK such as K2/Flexicontent/Content Builder/etc

We are planning though in a future release that kind of functionality. The documents and directions are being drafted during this period and somewhere in the future this functionality will be available in core. Don't expect anything soon though!

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Support Provider:
-> Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
-> Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -
-> Joomla Webmaster Services: gws-webmaster.services

Return to “Joomla! Ideas Forum”