Display fields with list of articles on the backend

Do you have an idea for the Joomla community that you can help implement? Discuss in here.
Mr. Wimpy
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Display fields with list of articles on the backend

Post by Mr. Wimpy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:56 pm

Hey,

Sometimes you need to see the value of a field to quickly decide what to do with an article. Currently you have to either open the article and check the fields or check the frontend.

With an option in the field edit screen to display a field on the backend with the articles you can quickly see the fields you believe are important without having to open the article.

Say you have a website with a simple events page and you used the calendar field to display the event date.
With the event date on the article manager you can now quickly see the order of events and easily rearrange them if needed.

This option can also be an interesting addition to Users and Contacts

Regards,
Wim

websitedons
I've been banned!

Re: Display fields with list of articles on the backend

Post by websitedons » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:11 am

Simply set the article created date, to the date of the event, and set the sort to date ascending. That will show what you want.

Here is an example

Mr. Wimpy
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Mr. Wimpy » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:34 am

No, I cannot 'sell' that to clients, because I don't believe in that solution myself.

As it is now it takes time to know what the value of fields are. You have to either open each item or go to the frontend and look for the item.

The suggestion is simple:
the ability to display fields on the article/user/contact list on the backend.
A simple setting: 'Display on the list: yes/no'.
So you can quickly see the information that matter to you.

The calendar field was an example.

More examples:
If you believe that the preparation time for a meal is important, you should be able to display that in the article list.
If you believe a user's shoe size is important, you should be able to display that field on the user list.

mmx
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by mmx » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:08 am

Just curious! The screen above includes filters for displaying the articles table data as different views of the same information.

Because the field data is stored in a different set of tables, the screen above as well as users and contacts would probably need a fields tab with it's own filters to show the field dataset you want. Am I correct, or am I missing something.

Return to “Joomla! Ideas Forum”