Detaching of core components from Joomla Topic is solved

Do you have an idea for the Joomla community that you can help implement? Discuss in here.
FlashRebel

Detaching of core components from Joomla

Post by FlashRebel » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:56 pm

Hey,

I remember there was an initiative few years ago for detaching some core components from Joomla and make them available as plugin/components. After few years without Joomla I just found everything on the same place with the same things like messages, banners ... :(
To be honest, this bloat was one of the main reason I left Joomla that time.

Is there any progress on this issue or it's completely abandoned?

sozzled
I've been banned!

Re: Detaching of core components from Joomla

Post by sozzled » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:13 am

You're right. Over the past few years there have been several changes made in packaging Joomla and a number of "non-core" facilities have been removed (e.g. WebLinks removed in J! 3, Polls removed in J! 1.6) while a few new features have been included (e.g. Tags in J! 3.1, Custom Fields in J! 3.7).

Some features may be used rarely by most people or used only within certain environments (e.g LDAP user authentication).

Whether or not some of these extras could be called bloatware is a difficult to assess, however. Some of the new features have been included with the intention that they will be more broadly implemented rather than in the limited form that people may see today (e.g. Custom Fields) or in preparation for making Joomla ready for J! 4 (e.g. the new router that's expected to arrive with J! 3.8).

Perhaps you have your own views on what you consider to be bloat. It would be interesting to compare notes. :)

mmx
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by mmx » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:03 am

Joomla is becoming a true framework, providing a nice architecture for building any kind of application. Most of the CMF-related glut has been moved into the official extension category on JED. In it's current state, you could build a major application on top of the framework residing under the CMF layer. However, building upon the CMF layer makes practical sense for usuability and reusability reasons because of the wide range of third-party applications.

There may be a need to add more interfaces and abstract classes to expand upon the native framework's versatility, but the core team is definitely heading in the right direction.

I left it's predecessor Mambo long ago for other reasons related to the lack of decent authorization support. ACL works for me, but I'm accustomed to using RBAC. They both have their pros and cons.

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:32 pm

Yeah agree too..

Return to “Joomla! Ideas Forum”