Framework clients and multisite

Do you have an idea for the Joomla community that you can help implement? Discuss in here.
mmx
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Framework clients and multisite

Post by mmx » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:06 am

You will have to excuse my ignorance of the current Joomla! API. I have not built a site with Joomla! since 1.5 and have been off in the weeds building projects with the Yii framework. For a series of large projects I needed a heavy-duty CMS foundation and decided to take the Joomla! route based on past experiences. I was hoping to find integral multisite support in the latest release of the cmf layer.

Yes, I know about AlterBrains Mightysites and JMS Multisite but was hoping to see a more elegant solution not involving webserver configuration machinations and framework hacks.

Joomla! has always treated the backend and frontend as separate framework clients in a hard-coded way. Menus and templates can be assigned to the backend and frontend independently. I am curious to know why this concept has not been extended to components, modules, plugins, and client configurations. That is, in the least case provide a foundation for extension developers who are developing multisite extensions. Based on a casual look at the core, the event hooks already exist for pulling this off.

Now that Joomla! is supporting relational databases engines by default (innodb support was a welcome sight), it is possible to add multisite support using pivot tables to create many-to-many relationships between a hierarchial-structured client table (domains, nested subdomains or aliased slaves), a configuration table, and the existing extensions table.

Are their any plans for multisite support in the future?

Return to “Joomla! Ideas Forum”