Suggestion to rename class "bannergroup" and "banneritem" from banner module

Do you have an idea for the Joomla community that you can help implement? Discuss in here.
annahersh
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Suggestion to rename class "bannergroup" and "banneritem" from banner module

Post by annahersh » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:55 pm

Today I noticed banner ads displayed by the banner module were not being shown on someone's computer and it puzzled me. Then I realized she had "adblockplus" installed in Chrome and when I viewed the inspector, a css rule was set to display:none for any element including term "banner", "ad", "ads" in the class name. When I changed the classes in the inspector, the banner displayed.

I just wanted to suggest using any arbitrary word like "showgroup" and "showitem" for future release of the module, just to overcome the ad blockers.

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Suggestion to rename class "bannergroup" and "banneritem" from banner module

Post by waarnemer » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:56 pm

You can do that of course in your overrides to the modules.

But please note that full banner feature in Joomla! actually is allowing customers to buy add space from you thus the banners are actually respecting the wish from visitor not to show adds...

If you do not use the banners that way, just override the output. Or if you use both, create alternative layouts.

annahersh
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Suggestion to rename class "bannergroup" and "banneritem" from banner module

Post by annahersh » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:40 pm

waarnemer wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:56 pm
You can do that of course in your overrides to the modules.
Yes I am aware of the override method, hence the reason it's a suggestion for future release.

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by waarnemer » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:49 pm

well in order to
1. allow the site owner to sell adds (banners)
2. allow the visitor to refuse adds (banners)
I'd say, keep it the way it is currently.

annahersh
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by annahersh » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:36 pm

It doesn't seem that you understand what the suggestion is referring to. Are you aware that the focus is on the element class names?

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by waarnemer » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:41 pm

I am aware.. did you read and understand my answer?

If you want to use banner feature other than intended.. create an override.

annahersh
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by annahersh » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:45 pm

Yes I clearly understood your reply and it certainly does not relate to element class names. Changing the classnames has no effect on allowing the site owner to sell "adds".

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by waarnemer » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:56 pm

It does when I as a visitor want to block these sold advertisements.. that is the whole intent of addblocking.
having the class names set to "ad", "ads" or "banner(s)" does respect that. And I as a user am not confronted with advertisement I don't want to see.

Therefore the class name in J! is or contains "banner". That way it respecting the visitors decision to be able to block advertisement. The way it should be.

If you want to use this feature any other way, make an override and rename the classes.

But beware each time developers want to bypass or escape from the addblockers, these new "bypasses and escapes" will find their way into the algorythms of these blockers..
while there are plenty of other ways of showing just a (random) image in a module.

annahersh
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by annahersh » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:05 pm

Ok now you correctly understand the post and addressing it as you prefer. It is solely based on circumventing adblockers, and absolutely nothing to do with site owner selling advertisements.

Return to “Joomla! Ideas Forum”