Add Shared Session Control Per User Setting

Do you have an idea for the Joomla community that you can help implement? Discuss in here.
annahersh
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Add Shared Session Control Per User Setting

Post by annahersh » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:54 pm

Idea:
Add an option to disable front end session per admin when global Shared Sessions is enabled.

Why:
To maintain the basic view of frontend while developing and formatting.

The boolean switch would be added to the user's Basic Settings field set and default to No. Of course the option would be displayed only for backend users, and if Shared Sessions is on.

I haven't reviewed the method used for Shared Sessions so I do not have a technical suggestion at the moment. I will review and post a concept in a follow up within this thread.
disable-session-front.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Re: Add Shared Session Control Per User Setting

Post by sozzled » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:48 pm

I'm not sure if this is a good idea—disable frontend sessions for user accounts (but, theoretically, only to be used with accounts that access the backend)—because I anticipate we will see "problems" reported on the forum with the subject "Help! I cannot login to the frontend of my website" and the cause is this setting and the people, who ask these questions, (a) only have an admin account, (b) forgot (or did not know) what the setting was used for, and (c) "someone" changed the setting to disable frontend logins that affect specific user accounts.

In any case, you are welcome to contribute the suggestion on GitHub by using the Joomla! issue tracker (you will need a GitHub account to do that) but I suspect the idea will probably float like a lead balloon.

It has its benefits (for the reasons you explained) but it also has its downside. For example, looking at the screenshot, it may be possible to prevent any account from using the frontend! 8)

I'm just saying that I probably wouldn't use this new setting idea but there could be others who would use it. Whether or not it would cause headaches, I wouldn't like to be around if it does (and it may help to have a pack of paracetamol ready). :laugh:

annahersh
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Add Shared Session Control Per User Setting

Post by annahersh » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:29 am

sozzled wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:48 pm
It has its benefits (for the reasons you explained) but it also has its downside. For example, looking at the screenshot, it may be possible to prevent any account from using the frontend! 8)
The method wouldn't (or shouldn't) affect front-end login, in the same way the front end login is not affected when Shared Session is disabled. In fact I have created a plugin to handle the process and just going through multiple tests to ensure proper functionality. I will post the coding once functional.

Return to “Joomla! Ideas Forum”