Can't change menu item order *in backend*

The support for Joomla 2.5 ended on December 31, 2014. Possible bugs in Joomla 2.5 will not be patched anymore. This forum has been closed. Please update your website to Joomla 3.x

Moderator: ooffick

Forum rules
Please use the official Bug Tracker to report a bug: https://issues.joomla.org
[n]atalie
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Can't change menu item order *in backend*

Post by [n]atalie » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:00 pm

I've found a lot posted about problems changing menu item ordering in Joomla 1.6, but it all appears to either be that they can change them in the backend but the changes don't appear in the frontend (a cache issue I think) or that they're not clicking on the Ordering heading.

If I repeatedly click on the blue arrows every time the page refreshes, about 1 in every 5 times the menu item actually moves. This is frustrating, but I thought it was working. I can't change menu order by typing in the numbers. When I press the save button it looks like it worked and it says "Ordering successfully saved." but either nothing happened.

Then eventually after doing this for a while all of the menu items will spontaneously go back to one order that I never set but they keep changing to.

It's incredibly frustrating and I need to change this menu order asap.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? I am fairly new to Joomla, and this is only the second site I've done in 1.6.

dylanjh
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Can't change menu item order *in backend*

Post by dylanjh » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:17 pm

Have you tried site->maintenance->clear cache?
EmailAsUsername - Remove Usernames Joomla! Virtuemart And JomSocial registration http://www.lunarhotel.co.uk Many other extensions supported.

[n]atalie
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by [n]atalie » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:37 pm

Yeah, that was one of the first things I did...

rbuelund
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by rbuelund » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:00 pm

I've got the exact same problem - but also had it in Joomla 1.5.23 (a site upgraded from 1.0.15) - and now upgraded tp 1.7 - is it a upgrade thing ?
Ronny Buelund
Coordinator of the Danish Joomla Translation Team: http://danskjoomla.dk
Owner of http://ableit.dk

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:10 am

Have you tried "rebuild" for the menu concerned?
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

rbuelund
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by rbuelund » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:22 am

Yes I have - the problem is still there.
Ronny Buelund

jpreville
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jpreville » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:40 am

Same issue here. with Joomla 1.7.0

Only way around it seems to edit the jos_menu db table ordering field manually. in the order you want. its like the save button is not updating the database or something.

John

rbuelund
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by rbuelund » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:14 am

Infograf and I seem to have found the problem! It is a problem with JUpgrade - the column "ordering" in table "_menu" is filled with different numbers - it should be just zero's as the ordering of the menu items is drawn from the columns "lgt" and "rgt".

Use this in phpMyAdmin to correct the issue: UPDATE `your db name`.`your table prefix_menu` SET `ordering` = '0'
Ronny Buelund

[n]atalie
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by [n]atalie » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:17 pm

Sorry, I don't understand exactly what you did. Could you explain it again?

rbuelund
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by rbuelund » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:28 pm

You have to alter the column "ordering" in table "_menu" in your database and set the value to zero for all rows.
Ronny Buelund

rbuelund
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by rbuelund » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:04 pm

You can use this little "component" to place zero's in your ordering column in "_menu"
Just uninstall afterwards. (Only for J!1.7)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ronny Buelund

maguirre
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by maguirre » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:51 pm

Thanks for reporting this. This bug will be fixed in the next version of jUpgrade 1.2.0

Take care
Matias Aguirre
Linux User #: 78193
http://www.matware.com.ar/

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:07 pm

Thanks maguirre

[n]atalie
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by [n]atalie » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:20 pm

Thank you everyone.

bop
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by bop » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:51 am

I have seen this in 1.7 version also and i have found that if you try and push a menu item up the tree structure it doesn't work. BUT if you push the menu's in the downward direction it does. It is an odd bug i believe, but you can move them, just have to think about how you are going to get them all where you want them by only moving them down. Make sure you save when you are done then clean out your cache.

I hope this helps someone get themselves out of situation. Hopefully this is fixed soon.

TomT
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by TomT » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:50 pm

rbuelund wrote:You can use this little "component" to place zero's in your ordering column in "_menu"
Just uninstall afterwards. (Only for J!1.7)
This works for me, thanks a lot :)

parkingkarma
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by parkingkarma » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:02 pm

I'm bumping this thread up because we were fighting with this problem for weeks, and the restoreorderingcolum.zip file that's attached lower in this thread was the fix for us too! (even though we didn't use jUpgrade ...

This fix needs to be made known to all users of 1.6/1.7 because it is so frustrating to battle something like this when a fix is available ....

We installed the Drag n Drop Admin extension (http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... tion/14389) and now that Joomla will actually save the new positions, everything is great!

Thanks a ton to rbuelund for making this fix available, and please get this fixed asap in the next Joomla update, as this is a pretty critical one.

Cheers,

PK

1soul
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by 1soul » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:03 pm

Worked like a charm! I have been having this problem for awhile now with 1.7. Since this seems to be a live thread perhaps I can inquire if anyone else has been having problems with FB login not responding and/or any paypal buttons simply refreshing the same page without redirecting member to paypal? Anyone...

1soul
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by 1soul » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:31 pm

As far as the FB login, it seems to work fine through the register page. The only place where it doesn't seem to work is trying to use it through the "Hello Me" module. Any ideas...

wmys
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by wmys » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:44 pm

rbuelund wrote:Infograf and I seem to have found the problem! It is a problem with JUpgrade - the column "ordering" in table "_menu" is filled with different numbers - it should be just zero's as the ordering of the menu items is drawn from the columns "lgt" and "rgt".

Use this in phpMyAdmin to correct the issue: UPDATE `your db name`.`your table prefix_menu` SET `ordering` = '0'
This works. More specific instructions:

1.Go to PHPMyAdmin
2. Click on your database name on left too open that database.
3. Once the database is open, click on the tab near top called SQL. You will get a white box.
4. In the white box, past in UPDATE `your db name`.`your table prefix_menu` SET `ordering` = '0'
Example of what to put for these values (db name - and - table prefix_menu) depend on what your database name and table prefix are. Say your database name is shoes_tie and your table prefix (this is the prefix on all of the tables listed on the left in your database) is jos151_. IN this case you would put the following into the white box:

UPDATE `shoes_tie`.`jos151_menu` SET `ordering` = '0'

5. Once you have this pasted in the white box (make sure you have the db and prefix correct), click GO at bottom right on screen.

That's it. :) After that, you should be able to reorder using the blue arrows or using draganddropadmin if you have that installed and it wasn't working before.

Kerry
Last edited by alikon on Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed selfpromotion link

chrisg76
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by chrisg76 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:17 pm

I found the only way to fix it is to go into the Module manager> your module> choose the pull down "ordering" on the right side of the page and select the NUMBER you want your module to wind up at. So, your module (The one you just opened) may be "1-mod" and you may want it last. So, on the pull down "ordering" click on the last number (in my case it is "5-men"); click save and close. when you refresh your page you will see it has moved. Please don't ask me why... :-\

ajrallen
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ajrallen » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:22 am

It's not a jUpgrade bug - I didn't use jUpgrade and I can duplicate the problem in the Menu Item Manager. I am on version 1.7.1 now.

I watched the database carefully and the order is controlled by the ordering column and the lft/rgt columns. When you reorder (I was testing by numerically reordering and using the "save" button) Joomla sets new lft values, but does not change the ordering column. Then it calls a rebuild, and that uses the ordering column. Since the ordering column never changed, it just sets the lft value back to where it was, making it impossible to reorder using the "save" button, and causing strange behavior after you use the up/down arrows (though sometimes it initially seems to work).

The fix may be to add a line after line 1432 of /libraries/joomla/database/tablenested.php:

$query->set('ordering = ' . (int) $lft_array[$i]);

WARNINGS!!!!!
I haven't thoroughly tested all cases with this new fix yet. The worst it could do, though, is mess up ordering -- but I've already got that problem!

AND.... This would be a CORE HACK. Which is a NO-NO-NO bad idea, most of the time, but if you have tons of reordering to do and this bug is making you crazy, it might be worth it. Hopefully this bug is fixed in the next version but if not you should be prepared to repeat the fix after upgrading.

Oh, and I'm not a newbie to Joomla but I am a newbie in the forum so please be kind.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:31 am

FYI: The Rebuild function is ONLY using the "ordering" column, if there is in that column a number not equal to 0 (zero). Com_languages uses the ordering column while menu should not, which created the issue.

If you have still some figures ≠ 0 in the ordering column, there is the error, as far as I know.

e-mates
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by e-mates » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:58 am

Well Thanks All of You.But i have still the same issue. I have installed the components of Ronny Buelund but still not working for me :( how do i solve this issue manually ??? Any help please

beachfunk
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by beachfunk » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:53 pm

Love/Hate Joomla! No blue arrows with which to reorder my main menu items and can't type positions into the boxes --

FIXED - I simply clicked on the "Ordering" header (in blue 1.7.1) to change to descending and behold, the blue arrows appeared next to the menu items. After that everything worked as you would expect. When switching back to default ordering, however, blue arrows vanish and no changes can be made.

Now I love Joomla again...

ProtoPC
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ProtoPC » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:25 am

Had the same menu ordering problem...I emptied all trashed menus and the ordering worked again no other changes made. We'll see if it lasts.

mopha
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mopha » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:09 pm

I am on 1.7.2 and the issue still persists. Tried the attached component, but no dice either (after install, selecting it in the Component menu returns a "Component not found error").

barback
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by barback » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:37 pm

Before I found this thread I had figured a way to get items in line on a small site with ~10 items. I used the MOVE function at the bottom of the menu manager to move an item to the same menu -- it brings it in at the bottom of the menu. Not as easy as the numbering or tweaking blue arrows, but it seems to have worked.

I don't have access to directly look at the database on this site, so I needed another way around. Just for insurance, I also installed the reset component.

Is installing it all that is required? Like mopha, I got the "component not found error".

rbuelund
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by rbuelund » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:03 pm

Yes installing is all - you can remove it afterwards.
Ronny Buelund

bleonard
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by bleonard » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:09 am

Rebuilding the Menu Item and then Changing the order, corrected this problem for me. I tried this first before any of the patches.

Return to “Joomla! 2.5 Bug Reporting”