Can't change menu item order *in backend*

The support for Joomla 2.5 ended on December 31, 2014. Possible bugs in Joomla 2.5 will not be patched anymore. This forum has been closed. Please update your website to Joomla 3.x

Moderator: ooffick

Forum rules
Please use the official Bug Tracker to report a bug: https://issues.joomla.org
InfernoKazama
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Can't change menu item order *in backend*

Post by InfernoKazama » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:18 am

I don't mean to bump a topic, but I'm having the same issue.

Problem is I have fixed it before but I cannot remember for the life of me how to fix it again.

My problem lies in the order is all jacked up. My home page is at the end of the list on my back end and on the end of the list on the front end.

Whenever I try to change it, it does not work at all. I've tried re-building the current menu, creating a new menu and placing the menu items in that menu and it still does not fix the problem

And when it comes to the php MyAdmin stuff, how do you know which table to edit?

aussiemike
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by aussiemike » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:18 pm

The database fix in the previous posts fixed this for me (ordering of menu items - change to 0). Using MYPHPADMIN command did the trick and my site was upgraded from J1.0.15 to J1.5 to 2.5 using Jupgrade. I had this problem on another site which was also upgraded the same way.

antifmradio
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by antifmradio » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:43 pm

chrisg76 wrote:I found the only way to fix it is to go into the Module manager> your module> choose the pull down "ordering" on the right side of the page and select the NUMBER you want your module to wind up at. So, your module (The one you just opened) may be "1-mod" and you may want it last. So, on the pull down "ordering" click on the last number (in my case it is "5-men"); click save and close. when you refresh your page you will see it has moved. Please don't ask me why... :-\
you didnt read the original post my friend

the problem is with the MENU item ordering. Not module ordering

antifmradio
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by antifmradio » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:45 pm

InfernoKazama wrote:
And when it comes to the php MyAdmin stuff, how do you know which table to edit?
because it says how to do it right on the front page of this topic

http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?p ... 1#p2616741
the table you want is "_menu"
just follow the isntructions

antifmradio
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by antifmradio » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:45 pm

InfernoKazama wrote:
because it says how to do it right on the front page of this topic

http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?p ... 1#p2616741
the table you want is "_menu"
just follow the isntructions

jjspelman
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by jjspelman » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:45 pm

@wmys

Thanks, that worked like a charm. It allowed me to go in and set the menu ordering by entering the number un which I wanted them to appear.

MoonDragon
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by MoonDragon » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:21 pm

I am equally having this issue. Hope the solution provided will help.

pjki
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by pjki » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:18 pm

Everyone is saying "clear your menu trash." I don't have any menu trash. Nothing to clear. Arrows do not work up or down.

simonron
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by simonron » Thu May 09, 2013 1:54 pm

For me, on a site that has been upgraded by JUpgrade several times - from j1.0ish to 2.5.11 the issue was the SQL ordering as give by that nice person above.

UPDATE `your db name`.`your table prefix_menu` SET `ordering` = '0'
worked wonderfully for me. It also allowed me to re-order in the backend using the numbers a=gain - rather than have to nudge things up and down. Now they stay put when I have to rebuild the menu.
I have not found a good fix for the 'Feed' problem ( where ANY new menu turns up on the front end with 'feed' in the URL ) - other than rebuilding the menu ( which gives me what I wanted but mucked up the order again and again) - hence my need for this fix.

pxforti
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by pxforti » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:42 pm

THanks. Emptying menu cache and running the sql command worked for me.
Joomla Website Design / CS-Cart Website Design
http://writenowdesign.com

Peter Clements
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Peter Clements » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:39 pm

simonron wrote:For me, on a site that has been upgraded by JUpgrade several times - from j1.0ish to 2.5.11 the issue was the SQL ordering as give by that nice person above.

UPDATE `your db name`.`your table prefix_menu` SET `ordering` = '0'
worked wonderfully for me. It also allowed me to re-order in the backend using the numbers a=gain - rather than have to nudge things up and down. Now they stay put when I have to rebuild the menu.
I have not found a good fix for the 'Feed' problem ( where ANY new menu turns up on the front end with 'feed' in the URL ) - other than rebuilding the menu ( which gives me what I wanted but mucked up the order again and again) - hence my need for this fix.
Thanks, this fixed my issue with menu ordering not working in 2.5.14 (that had been manually updated from 2.5.8 ).

zeno
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by zeno » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:43 pm

This was covered by OSTraining a few days ago: Stop Joomla Menu Links from Re-ordering

tflores21
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tflores21 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:15 am

I did the same as ProtoPC. Emptied my menu trash and I can now get the blue arrow buttons to do what they are supposed to do!

veganhooper
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by veganhooper » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:48 pm

Hi,

I was so happy to find this thread. I have been going insane trying to figure out why my menu items would not stay in order no matter what I did. I ran the query as mentioned above so we shall see if it works, however I have 2 questions:

Before I ran the query to zero out the menu, below was sitting in the window (PHP MYadmin/chose database/clicked on SQL tab):

SELECT * FROM `nk85t_menu` WHERE 1

I cleared the above command so I could run the zero out menu query.

After running the query mentioned in this thread to zero out the table, it said 58 rows were affected, however, there are only 30 in the menu table. ALSO, the string showing above in bold is showing up again even after I had cleared it.

Help is appreciated!

MarcelKe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by MarcelKe » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:03 pm

Many thanks for the solution!! Works fine now.

ritil
I've been banned!

Post by ritil » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:51 am

I have this problem on a site we just launched, pretty vanilla, not a lot of extensions, and not a lot of menu items. Happened upon this thread and verified that I have no "ordering" column in xxxx_menu at all. Any suggestions?

bxd
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bxd » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:41 pm

wmys wrote: This works. More specific instructions:

1.Go to PHPMyAdmin
2. Click on your database name on left too open that database.
3. Once the database is open, click on the tab near top called SQL. You will get a white box.
4. In the white box, past in UPDATE `your db name`.`your table prefix_menu` SET `ordering` = '0'
Example of what to put for these values (db name - and - table prefix_menu) depend on what your database name and table prefix are. Say your database name is shoes_tie and your table prefix (this is the prefix on all of the tables listed on the left in your database) is jos151_. IN this case you would put the following into the white box:

UPDATE `shoes_tie`.`jos151_menu` SET `ordering` = '0'

5. Once you have this pasted in the white box (make sure you have the db and prefix correct), click GO at bottom right on screen.

That's it. :) After that, you should be able to reorder using the blue arrows or using draganddropadmin if you have that installed and it wasn't working before.

Kerry
This worked perfectly. Thank you!

victoriayz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by victoriayz » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:42 pm

Hello,www.tycoongoldaddon.org
Leaks Fix - Try Flex Shot
Thanks wmys, for sharing this solution :) ProLevelingGuides - Zygor Guides
iPillows - Best Tablet Pillows
I've clean the cache and execute the mysql command and it worked perfectly. www.fabriclear.org
21DayGetFit - 21 day Fix Review

Kind Regards
Victoriabug off instant screen
copper hands reviewhydro mousse review

terco
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by terco » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:55 pm

I'm a complete noob to PHP after years of being satisfied with Dreamweaver and hand-bashed html so please bear with me for any needless repetition. I've just gone through much of the same pain listed above and after trying everything apart from the php myadmin method (too scared) and emptying the trash (can't see how in latest Joomla version 3.x) I decided to give my sub-menu re-ordering one last chance. So I dragged my two errant menu items to their correct position for the nth time, but this time I just let that screen sit for a minute or more. Lo and behold, it has worked for me. There is quite a lag anyway between normal update refreshes from my home PC to the hosted site so I just wondered if it was having an effect on the menu updates. Fingers crossed.

Return to “Joomla! 2.5 Bug Reporting”