Can't change menu item order *in backend*

The support for Joomla 2.5 ended on December 31, 2014. Possible bugs in Joomla 2.5 will not be patched anymore. This forum has been closed. Please update your website to Joomla 3.x

Moderator: ooffick

Forum rules
Please use the official Bug Tracker to report a bug: https://issues.joomla.org
virgil00
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Can't change menu item order *in backend*

Post by virgil00 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:35 pm

This is how I was able to get it working.

I have about 43 menu items in my structure. By default it only listed 20 items per page. One of my menu items that was listed on the third page, menu item 42, got pushed up to the top of the structure.

When I used the arrows to being moving that item back down to the bottom of the third page, it would stop at the first page only because when I reached the bottom of the first page, the down arrow would disappear.

To get past this, I made the page list all of the menu items on one page. Wen all of the menu items were on one page, it then allowed me to move the menu item back down to the bottom.

I hope this makes sense and helps someone. I know I appreciate any help received from these forums.

Toosheds
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Toosheds » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:50 am

Had the same problem - frustrating! rbuelund's solution, later expounded upon by wmys, fixed it for sure. Thanks!

iibm
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by iibm » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:58 am

I have found this problem when installing the joomla 2.5. Google and baidu for a long time but cann't find the solution.
Lucky, in a moment,the "web developer" appear in my eyes.
If you are useing "web developer" for the firefox,make it disabled and try again.

maxxer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by maxxer » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:07 pm

I've the same problem.
I tried updating the table with ordering=0 but no change, I still cannot change ordering!

Using 1.7.3

kuato
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by kuato » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:11 am

I've upgraded from 1.7, can change order but the change is not reflected on the frontpage :'(
Open YoUr MiNd

pwes
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by pwes » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:51 pm

I can confirm the fix for this - change display of how many menus per page to ALL (so all pages display on the same page), then change your order as needed, hit tiny save button next to 'ordering', job done !

gcoulter
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gcoulter » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:23 am

Fantastic rbuelund, this had been really bugging me, 10 secs after downloading your fix, problem sorted :)

Thanks

nialldoherty
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by nialldoherty » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:18 am

Simplest fix for 2.5 empty all trash menu items seems to sort this out fine.

RMassolini
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Joomla Menu Order Keeps Changing

Post by RMassolini » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:19 pm

Hi Everyone, this is a simple easy fix. If your menu tables contain number (other than 0) in the ordering column then all that you need to do is run a query to change all of them to '0'.

1 - Open phpMyAdmin
2 - Choose database from left-hand column
3 - Click on 'SQL' tab
4 - Add in your query string to the text area (see below)
5 - Click 'go'

**** Query string (include quote marks) ****

UPDATE `your DB name`.`your table name` SET `ordering` = '0'

**** So, after adding in your details, it should look something like this ****

UPDATE `joomla_database`.`jdb_menu` SET `ordering` = '0'

All you need to change/add into the above string is your database name and your table name.

The problem was resolved after running this query in my database.

Jadzia
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Jadzia » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:41 am

I'm having the same problem in Joomla 2.5.4 and none of the above tips work, it just randomly changes the order of the items in the menu.

MissyW
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by MissyW » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:58 am

bop wrote:I have seen this in 1.7 version also and i have found that if you try and push a menu item up the tree structure it doesn't work. BUT if you push the menu's in the downward direction it does. It is an odd bug i believe, but you can move them, just have to think about how you are going to get them all where you want them by only moving them down. Make sure you save when you are done then clean out your cache.

I hope this helps someone get themselves out of situation. Hopefully this is fixed soon.
Thanks for that tip! I also noticed in 1.7 that if I select the menu item first (check-mark) and then click the down arrow it works!

Phodel
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Phodel » Wed May 09, 2012 2:13 pm

I had the same issue with not being able to change menu item ordering on a site I updated from Joomla 1.5 to 2.5 (using SPUpgrade). I had to do two steps to allow re-ordering of menu items:

1) Change ordering column of the database menu table to all 0's using phpmyadmin (as described several times in above posts)

2) I also had to empty all trashed menu items

Then everything was happy again!!!

boogily
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by boogily » Thu May 10, 2012 9:59 pm

I'll confirm the SQL trick worked. Too bad this happened off a fresh 2.4 install. If I knew the code to fix it, I'd present it. Hopefully, they get some kind of a fix on it in the next version
http://www.happydogwebproductions.com
"Minneapolis and St Paul web design and development"

AgamemnonZ
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by AgamemnonZ » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:02 pm

Great; the database query mentioned worked perfectly; some menu items indeed had non-zero values in their order column in the menu database. (my site used jupgrade from 1.5 to 2.5, dont know if this caused the bug though)

liz23
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by liz23 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:20 pm

Hi all, I am using Joomla 2.5 and just had this same strange menu ordering problem. Just wanted to report that for me the fix was the following: I had all menu items displayed on one page and hit the column title ("ordering") twice. I could then change the ordering without any problems, I could even just type numbers in the text field and hit the "save" button next to the column header. That never worked before...

I did not try the database fix though. Did not need to touch it.

Thanks for the inspiration, though :-)

DavidBoggitt
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by DavidBoggitt » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:46 pm

Just to say - I used the SQL command and it worked perfectly - thanks :)
My website: http://www.davidboggitt.com/
Love and hate both devastate you, but at least love takes you to dinner first.

tm2000
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tm2000 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:48 pm

thank you, thank you, thank you :)

MissyW
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by MissyW » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:08 am

Phodel wrote:I had the same issue with not being able to change menu item ordering on a site I updated from Joomla 1.5 to 2.5 (using SPUpgrade). I had to do two steps to allow re-ordering of menu items:

1) Change ordering column of the database menu table to all 0's using phpmyadmin (as described several times in above posts)

2) I also had to empty all trashed menu items

Then everything was happy again!!!
Phodel, thanks so much for this tip. I upgraded from 1.7 to 2.5 and had endless problems with this issue. It was driving me nuts. I tried step (1) changing the ordering column in the database menu table. It worked for a day or so until I added a new menu entry, then reverted to the same old problem. But when I emptied all my trashed menu items, it came good!! THANK YOU!!!

eskwire
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by eskwire » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:19 pm

Thanks so much for this thread and to RMassolini for summarizing the steps again.

I updated the database with php myadmin using the query and all seems to be well again.

Does anyone know why this is happening? I am assuming it has to do with the Joomla 1.5 to Joomla 2.5 upgrade.

Thanks! -- Steven

zeno
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by zeno » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:08 pm

Clearing old menu items out of the Trash worked for me - I could use the arrows OK (down - I never tried up), but entering the order manually and clicking save put the re-ordered item second from the top, so I have to move it down again using the arrows. A work-around, but it'd be good to see this fixed.

joomla! V2.5.6.

Roblux
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Roblux » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:14 am

ProtoPC Thank you.
Joomla 2.5.6 menu order refused to change. Items in menu would not respond to the up and down order arrows nor would they respond to changing the order number upon hitting the save (floppy disk icon). The HOME page was stuck as the last item in the main menu. It refused to shift. It had never been intentionally moved there either.

Emptying the trash of the the trashed menu items seemed to release the locked HOME menu item and now it is back at first place. So issue strikes Joomla 2.5 installations also.

kimmc7arts
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by kimmc7arts » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:37 pm

Has anyone tried the component fix on a Joomla 2.5.6 site?

mysticmedia
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mysticmedia » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:17 am

I tried the component patch on a Joomla 2.5.7 but it didn't seem to take. So I just ran the query that several have providd here, which is:
UPDATE `your DB name`.`your table name` SET `ordering` = '0'

This worked perfectly. What was happening to me is that I would have to click an ordering arrow twice, then the reorder would take.... BUT.... it would last only a day or so, then the menu would reorder itself out of nowhere.

It's been a few days now and all is good so far.

Thanks to all who have helped us in this thread. The Joomla! community is awesome!

Filadelfos
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Filadelfos » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:36 pm

I just upgraded & migrated from Joomla 1.5 to 2.5 and encountered this strange menu position bug. I ran the command posted earlier in this thread and it appears to have solved the problem:UPDATE `your DB name`.`your table name` SET `ordering` = '0'

Whatever the issue is that's causing this, it still exists with the latest builds of Jupdate & Joomla 2.5.x, I'm just thankful to have found this thread & hope it helps others as well!

Bill

gmedia
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gmedia » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:45 pm

Below worked for me with Joomla 2.5.7. I'm glad I searched for this one! It has been bothering me for well over a year I think.

Thanks all!!

Chris
wmys wrote: ......
1.Go to PHPMyAdmin
2. Click on your database name on left too open that database.
3. Once the database is open, click on the tab near top called SQL. You will get a white box.
4. In the white box, past in UPDATE `your db name`.`your table prefix_menu` SET `ordering` = '0'
Example of what to put for these values (db name - and - table prefix_menu) depend on what your database name and table prefix are. Say your database name is shoes_tie and your table prefix (this is the prefix on all of the tables listed on the left in your database) is jos151_. IN this case you would put the following into the white box:

UPDATE `shoes_tie`.`jos151_menu` SET `ordering` = '0'

5. Once you have this pasted in the white box (make sure you have the db and prefix correct), click GO at bottom right on screen.

That's it. :) After that, you should be able to reorder using the blue arrows or using draganddropadmin if you have that installed and it wasn't working before.

Kerry

annaps
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by annaps » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:34 am

Hi - I have a new install of 2.5.7, and am going spare with this menu hassle!

I have tried every suggestion in this post - but none have provided a fix.

When I try the sql update, I get this error message:
#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ''[table]'.'[table prefix]_menu' SET 'ordering' = '0'' at line 1

Despite this, I checked the _menu table and the values under "ordering" are 0, but it still isn't working on my site.

If I then click the little blue arrows, sometimes it seems to change the order, but it doesn't show on the screen, then 2 or3 clicks later it makes 2-or 3 changes all at once. Other times nothing changes at all no matter how many times I click. I've tried the up arrow, down arrow, clicking and double clicking.
Alternatively, if I enter the number for the ordering and save, it says it was successful, but absolutely nothing changed in the ordering.

What to do?

Thank you in advance!

jbggump
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jbggump » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:36 pm

THe info from RMassolini worked great for me. The first time I did not include the UPDATE, but after including that, it worked great - only after I emptied my menu trash.

This was on 2.5.6

Good luck.

Katannah
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Katannah » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:43 am

Filadelfos wrote:I just upgraded & migrated from Joomla 1.5 to 2.5 and encountered this strange menu position bug. I ran the command posted earlier in this thread and it appears to have solved the problem:UPDATE `your DB name`.`your table name` SET `ordering` = '0'

Whatever the issue is that's causing this, it still exists with the latest builds of Jupdate & Joomla 2.5.x, I'm just thankful to have found this thread & hope it helps others as well!

Bill
I'm sorry to say this but I'm so glad I'm not the only one who encountered this SQL error! :D

I assumed it was because I've had 16 hours' sleep this week (as of Thursday night) thanks to building this site/simultaneously learning X/HTML/PHP/CSS. I double checked my string, triple checked my ' markers, nothing helped. I know nothing about site building but I went to school with SQL, so I thought I'd lost my mind.

Finally I used the solution(s) mentioned above - changed my "Display" view to "All," selected the errant menu item, and at the bottom of the interface, chose to move it to its exact same parent menu. Lo and behold, the screen refreshed with it at the bottom of the list and the list finally ordered correctly.

Thank goodness it was a short list with only one error, because if I had to bubble a 30+ menu item set, I really would lose my mind...

Best of luck to everyone!

coalaweb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by coalaweb » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:04 pm

I had been having the issue for a while and I tried.
1. Emptying the trash.
2. Using the arrows and then saving.
3. Opening the menu item I wanted as number one and selecting First from the select list.

But when I clicked rebuild from the top right menu they would revert to the old order! the only thing that worked was running the before mentioned query.

One observation I normally select the database I want to administer in phpMyAdmin first to reduce the risk of making changes to the wrong database. Then you only have to make a reference to the table as seen below.

Code: Select all

UPDATE `#__menu` SET `ordering` = '0';
Note: replace #_ with your table prefix.

Cheers

RCheesley
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by RCheesley » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:19 pm

Thanks to ProtoPC - the issue I had was due to a vast amount of migrated trashed menu items, preventing the ordering from happening.

As soon as I cleared out the trash everything miraculously started ordering again!

Ruth
Ruth Cheesley

Return to “Joomla! 2.5 Bug Reporting”