Must See Joomla & PopShops Integration Affiliate Pet Store

johnrabb
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Must See Joomla & PopShops Integration Affiliate Pet Store

Post by johnrabb » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:01 pm

Scope of Project: To Develop a pet affiliate store using all those products from all those affiliate programs like Commission Junction, Linkshare, Share a Sale and Red Galoshes.

The Site isn't complete, but I couldn't contain myself any longer from sharing it with the Forum.

Remember the squeal of delight when you installed Joomla! for the first time and it worked perfectly? Remember how your head buzzed for weeks thinking how this would change everything? Get ready to Squeal again when you integrate Joomla and PopShops. You have no idea how SIMPLE this was to do. No more adding individual items one at a time, now you can add thousands of products in a matter of minutes. (I promise that I don't work for PopShops, I'm just a Big fan)

Website URL: http://PinkPetParents.com

Template: JAcrus modified

Additional Extensions: Popshops.com account, Artio Joom SEF, Banners Manager, Community Builder, HotorNot2 for Pet Voting, Joomap for Sitemap, Metatag Generator, Raw Content (the other key ingredient), Recommend, RWcards, Seyret, mod_dropdown menu, mod_Hot or Not Random, Adsense, mod_HTML, bot_wikipedia

Custom Development: Very little, a few language file changes here and there

Other Features:

PinkPet Finder - You MUST see this, it was built using the new bot_wikipedia. I only have a few Dog Breeds added currently. However, to accomplish this you only add 1 line of code to your page and this bot sucks in the ENTIRE wikipedia page you want.

Please pay close attention to the topical accuracy of the Google adsense ads being fed. A more attractive, expanding Menu was tested along the left, however, it completely destroyed my Google Adsense accuracy, so I returned to the included Joomla! Main Menu mod. It was a VERY eyeopening experiment for me in regards to Google Adsense and Content key words...Now I know!

The pages are slightly longer than I would normally desire, but this decision was made based on some minor PopShop limitations. (there are probably other ways around this) One way is supported by PopShops, but I didn't care for that method.

Three specific areas of my site that I'd like feedback on:

1. Navigation
2. Overall Design
3. And, as usual, anything I have omitted that would enhance the Store

steve2
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Must See Joomla & PopShops Integration Affiliate Pet Store

Post by steve2 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:09 am

My goodness, there a hang lot of products on there. A lot of work indeed!

Loading time for external sites a little long but I suppose you cant help that. How do you keep track of all that content I am amazed.

Everything else was great
Godfuel Media Ministries - www.godfuel.org
Web Dev - http://www.web.godfuel.net

johnrabb
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by johnrabb » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:02 pm

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the feedback. The only tools you really need in addition to Joomla! is the component RAW Content and Popshops. If you visit Popshops and open a free account, you'll instantly see how managing that many items from that many different vendors is Very Simple. Way, Way simpler than MANY other Joomla! projects I have personally completed. I have already launched a second niche Website based on the same principal. I'm not sure the forum rules allow me to post it inside this message, but it somewhat related, as the development process was the same, and they used the same "recipe". The other new Joomla! / Popshop integration is a niche store that sells only gift cards and electronic gift certificates, http://A1GiftCards.com. It is not yet complete as it is only a couple days old, but it can still be viewed for a better insight of how Joomla! handles this simple task.

Kalona
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Kalona » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:48 pm

John, First let me say that I am new to all of this Joomla stuff and find your work not only incredible but inspiring. I viewed all three of your Joomla sites you have listed here on the forums and joined just to respond to your post. I really like the layout/design of the A1 Gift Cards site and this Pet site I actually forwarded to my mom who has a spoiled little furry princess of her own and I know she will like your site as well. What I like the most is that I am one of the few that is still stuck on dial-up (live in the boonies and they don't offer it here - - - - lucky to have CABLE! LoL) and your sites (with the exception of your C4 site) load fairly quickly. Being a basic simple website designer I find that especially important to anyone visiting a site and despise all the slow loading flashy stuff - - - your flash is simple and clean.

Are you self taught with this stuff? I wish I could learn all of this to the level you present. I am not good with tutorials and such - as I have a comprehension learning disability.... if I could afford you I would hire you to do some sites for me in the near future! :) Congrats on your success and if you have any tips on how to learn this EASILY - it would be greatly appreciated.

Kalona

hotpuppy
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by hotpuppy » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:35 am

Congratulations!! ;D  I'm really impressed, and I think I'll follow your example.  I reckon putting up a Christmas gift site might give a good trial, so I'll give it a go, and let you know what happens.

Are you getting lots of sales/commissions through your site(s)?

hotpuppy

johnrabb
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by johnrabb » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:27 pm

Stop it, you guys are making me blush. What nice feedback, Thank you.

You give me WAY too much credit. The global Joomla! Open Source community developers is who we should truly celebrate...They are the ones that make great Websites possible!

I'm glad you like the http://A1Giftcards.com Website and the http://PinkPetParents.com Website, thank you for forwarding this to your mother; I hope she finds something she likes for her four-legged friend. ! I just launched another Joomla! and Popshops integration Website, http://ezvideorecipes.com, and am currently working on a fourth and fifth simultaneously.

I'm not a very good salesman, so I haven't made much money with these little sites. I have been WAY more successful with Google Adsense than actual affiliate sales.

Thank you for letting me know that you are using dial-up Internet and that my sites still load quickly. I used to be a hardcore HTML person and spent a great deal of my development time to optimizing Websites. (not brain surgery, just time consuming). So every site I develop has had every image and graphic touched and optimized. In the end, all those extra bites of information you aren't really using, still take up valuable bandwidth. I track my Websites in Google Analytics, so I can see user details such as connection speed and browser resolution.

Just a little fact to know for your Website development... Last year in the USA over 50% of the users that connected to the Internet did so via high-speed, like Cable or DSL. Sounds great right? That means 1/2 half of the people that may visit your Website have dial-up; you can't just "throw them away"...You have to design for them, too.

Although I have been to computer and design development classes my whole adult life, my hands-on business experience is why my clients use my services, not the design of my Websites. It's all rather transparent to a client...as it should be.

Thank you again for your kind words. I wish you great success with your new Website development projects(s).

Respectfully, John

isaacshaven
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by isaacshaven » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:43 pm

I have to say  :o Wow, I have a petshop of my own using regular html pages. I so wish I can do this, this is great. Wow is what I have to say and jealous too. lol Keep up the great work and hope it goes more successful.

Did you pay for the account in Popshops.com or did you use the free one. I only have 4 different products and not intending to do anymore. Can I do the free one with joomla or no. I would love this. This is great.
Last edited by isaacshaven on Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnrabb
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by johnrabb » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:04 pm

Hello Isaac -

Thank you, I'm flattered. I became a Popshops paying member just minutes after seeing their service in action. Afterall, it's a steal at $5 a month...and you can easily manage more than 4 products. I can't remember how many pages of products you can do with their free version, but they have the information listed on their Website.

Good luck with your Pet Website!

Respectfully, John

isaacshaven
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by isaacshaven » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:06 pm

Thank you, is it hard to intergrate it with joomla?

I may just do that when I get money.

Heaven-cx
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Heaven-cx » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:50 pm

Hello, I must say your site is very lovely and well done! Design looks clean and simple.

However, a couple of things,

site map and contact us page I get 404.

snadowitz
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by snadowitz » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:27 pm

GR8 site - what did you use for the shop?
Snadowitz

isaacshaven
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by isaacshaven » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:40 pm

He used popshop.com go there, there is a free version also 2 paid versions start out at 5 dollars a month.

isaacshaven
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by isaacshaven » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:46 am

I was looking through the popshops, this is nice if you want to make extra cash too.

I am trying out free for a bit to see how I like it and may do it for a year. My hubby also may do it too.

I figured out how to add it to joomla, very very simple, I love it.
Last edited by isaacshaven on Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

johnrabb
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by johnrabb » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:50 pm

Thanks Heaven-cx,

I sometimes have to correct the Contact and Sitemap hard coded URLs when I use Artio JoomSEF. I fixed it, thank you.

Respectfully, John
Heaven-cx wrote: Hello, I must say your site is very lovely and well done! Design looks clean and simple.

However, a couple of things,

site map and contact us page I get 404.

sw1sschez
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sw1sschez » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:52 am

Yes I agree with everyone else. It does look great. I know you are a big fan of that pop thing. I am assuming it is similar to Virtuemart. Why didnt you use that instead of Popshops???

snadowitz
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by snadowitz » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:19 am

Johnrabb - I guess you are usinga popshops pro account? Tell me - to use popshops do you have to have the accounts for CJ etc. or is this all dealt with by popshops?

Are you making anything from it yet? How about SEF/SEO? - are you getting any pagerank yet?

And how to add popshops to Joomla - with the wrapper module?
Last edited by snadowitz on Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snadowitz

johnrabb
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by johnrabb » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:29 am

The Virtuemart would be unmanageable for affiliate stores. Vendors have large inventory fluctuations; they may have something today, but not tomorrow. Popshops will simply not show that product if the vendor is out of stock. You don't setup individual products with Popshops so it take about 1/100th of the time compared to virtuemart. I do use, and love Virtuemart for true e-commerce projects.

You have to be a member of each of the individual link affiliate services, like CJ.

johnrabb
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by johnrabb » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:30 am

I use the RAW component package for Joomla to enter the script for each Popshop Page/menu choice. Hope that answers your question. Thanks, John
snadowitz wrote: Johnrabb - I guess you are usinga popshops pro account? Tell me - to use popshops do you have to have the accounts for CJ etc. or is this all dealt with by popshops?

Are you making anything from it yet? How about SEF/SEO? - are you getting any pagerank yet?

And how to add popshops to Joomla - with the wrapper module?

snadowitz
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by snadowitz » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:53 am

johnrabb - I am having one of those days - what is the RAW component? I searched in Joomla extensions and cannot find what you mean...
Snadowitz

johnrabb
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by johnrabb » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:20 pm

donatbollonk
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by donatbollonk » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:00 am

eye catching

NicMason
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by NicMason » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:02 am

Hi John,

Great work!

I'm currently working on modifying the RWCards component myself.  I sent myself one from your site and got this:
Hello Nic
Nic has sent you a PinkPetParents.com.

Click on the following link to view your PinkPetParent Postcard:
Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Nic
:D Visit http://ARTS.org.au - The Australian Arts Community" :D

johnrabb
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by johnrabb » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:16 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I must have incorrectly modified the RWCards language file. I'll have to change it as soon as I can.

adailey
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by adailey » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:34 pm

John,
Can you tell us if you did anything special in regard to raw content and popshops?

I have uploaded just the php content into a test page on my server and it works beautifully. However, my problem comes when I try to add the php in a content item.

I have tried every single "execute php" code out there and nothing seems to work.

I was able to use Joomla Mod PHP for popshop modules - worked first try in about 2 minutes. Still have had ZERO success with getting popshops php to show anything other than code in content items......

Would you mind showing the beginning and end of raw content in one of your content pages?

This is what mine looks like in the content editor.
{rawcontent rc=2}

And this is what it looks like on the user side as well.

I have installed and PUBLISHED two bots and one component. 

I am using Raw Content for 1.5
Joomla 1.5
All editors are turned off.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

johnrabb
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by johnrabb » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:49 pm

Hi Nic,

FYI - I edited the language file and hopefully fixed the RWcards message you received in your e-mail.

Thanks again for your feedback; I really appreciate it.

-John
NicMason wrote: Hi John,

Great work!

I'm currently working on modifying the RWCards component myself.  I sent myself one from your site and got this:
Hello Nic
Nic has sent you a PinkPetParents.com.

Click on the following link to view your PinkPetParent Postcard:
Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Nic

johnrabb
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by johnrabb » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:56 pm

Hello -

First, I am not using the new Joomla! version or the new RAW Content for the new Joomla! I am using the latest STABLE release from Joomla! download. I am using the version of RAW Content for Joomla! 1.x.

With that said...I hope I can help you. First let's try something terribly simple. change your RAW Content code to {rawcontent=2}. My code does NOT include the extra "rc" that you have included in your post.

Let me know if this works.

Good Luck, John
adailey wrote: John,
Can you tell us if you did anything special in regard to raw content and popshops?

I have uploaded just the php content into a test page on my server and it works beautifully. However, my problem comes when I try to add the php in a content item.

I have tried every single "execute php" code out there and nothing seems to work.

I was able to use Joomla Mod PHP for popshop modules - worked first try in about 2 minutes. Still have had ZERO success with getting popshops php to show anything other than code in content items......

Would you mind showing the beginning and end of raw content in one of your content pages?

This is what mine looks like in the content editor.
{rawcontent rc=2}

And this is what it looks like on the user side as well.

I have installed and PUBLISHED two bots and one component. 

I am using Raw Content for 1.5
Joomla 1.5
All editors are turned off.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

adailey
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by adailey » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:12 am

John,
Thank you for the speedy reply in my request for assistance.

I installed versions 1.02 and 1.03 and installed compoent and bots from scratch and received a plethora of errors.

So, I am afraid I have given up on rawcontent. However, I was able to get Jumi to work right "out of the box" and seems to work quite well. Have you any suggestions or thoughts as to why one would not want to use Jumi or other execute php code out there? Or is rawcontent the first you have come across and you just went with it?

Again, appreciate your knowledge and expertise! In addition, any thoughts you have with popshops. Perhaps, we should start a new thread!

muddauber
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by muddauber » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:28 am

John,

Thanks for sharing your site. I appreciate your work with the integration and currently reviewing
VirtueMart, PayPal Shopping Cart and will look at PopShop.

Is there any reason why you couldn't use PayPal as your payment gateway?

Did you consider PayPal Shopping and Payment gateway?

johnrabb
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by johnrabb » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:38 am

RAW Content was the first I tried and it worked properly. As a matter of fact, I use it for Many things on Many sites and have never had a single issue on any domain. I'm glad you got it working with Jumi.

-John
adailey wrote: John,
Thank you for the speedy reply in my request for assistance.

I installed versions 1.02 and 1.03 and installed compoent and bots from scratch and received a plethora of errors.

So, I am afraid I have given up on rawcontent. However, I was able to get Jumi to work right "out of the box" and seems to work quite well. Have you any suggestions or thoughts as to why one would not want to use Jumi or other execute php code out there? Or is rawcontent the first you have come across and you just went with it?

Again, appreciate your knowledge and expertise! In addition, any thoughts you have with popshops. Perhaps, we should start a new thread!

johnrabb
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by johnrabb » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:42 am

I think you are confused about Popshops. When you open an affiliate shop you don't process your own carts or accept payments. PinkPetParents.com is an affiliate store representing dozens of different vendors that sell pet products. Think of it as commission only sales.

There is no need for Virtuemart, Paypal, or any shopping cart software...

Hope this helps.

-John
muddauber wrote: John,

Thanks for sharing your site. I appreciate your work with the integration and currently reviewing
VirtueMart, PayPal Shopping Cart and will look at PopShop.

Is there any reason why you couldn't use PayPal as your payment gateway?

Did you consider PayPal Shopping and Payment gateway?

Return to “1.0 x Site Showcase - Archived.”