My Portal in the Making

coreyfmiller
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

My Portal in the Making

Post by coreyfmiller » Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:35 am

http://www.ecanuck.com

I obviously havent changed a whole lot from the original SolarFlare II template but I have made the adjustments so far to suit my needs. I just wanted to stay away from possible bugs and the Solar Flare template has to be one of the most tested across all browsers.  I know as well that the "test links" do not load any specific page as there is no target set. I just put it online. Anyone see any issues with the top module where the google search is? I plan to use a variation of this template across my site. Chat, Games, Music ect.

Regards,
Corey Miller

sc00zy
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: My Portal in the Making

Post by sc00zy » Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:56 am

Nice dark blue but it makes it a bit heavy on top. Maybe a different color for the ads?
Arjan Menger
https://welldotcom.nl - Puntgaaf Internetbureau

TheSaint
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by TheSaint » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:05 am

I agree with sc00zy for the most part. The top part is forgiveable, but the ads should be a white/grey color as to not get too many contrasting colors. I wouldn't recommend another darker color for the banners as they would merge too much with your navigation.

I love the dark blue, but I'm partial to that color anyways.
Paul
http://www.gamehostingreviews.com - In development
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

coreyfmiller
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by coreyfmiller » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:32 am

I have to agree with both of you. I absolutly hate the colours of the ads as they do not go together with the template at all. Having said that though my CTR from google has gone up about 70 percent using this variation. I intend to test out a variation of secondary colours against the template in the coming months and then maybe spread into some Tertiary colours in future.

Alot of my work outside of the web consist on working with colours and colour theory as I am working currently with Xerox.  This current format is used by a lot of grocery stores and manufacturers. Ugly as it is I fear that it may be the one combination that brings in the most revenue. Time shall tell. And i'll deffinately give the grays a shot. They always seem to go well with blues.

For the top though, after hearing your thoughts I may shave 50 pixels or so from the height. Condense a little, change some graphics. I get the heavy feeling you mention as well. Just changed the resolution on my monitor to 800x600 and its a monster logo.

Thanks for the critique guys. More welcome.

Regards,
Corey Miller

Return to “1.0 x Site Showcase - Archived.”