Article edit BUG found

This board for support questions on Joomla 1.6 RC (= Release Candidate - which should NOT be used on a production server) is NO longer active because Joomla 1.6.0 has been released.

>> For Joomla! 1.6 Support Questions, please use http://forum.joomla.org/viewforum.php?f=614 instead <<
cheeseus
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Article edit BUG found

Post by cheeseus » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:58 am

* Posted in the wrong section, sorry. Moderators, please move. *

Hello,

I think I've found a bug in the article editor on Joomla 1.6 Beta 13.

When I write some text in the text field and apply some formatting, e.g. new paragraph, bold font, horizontal rule, upon saving the article this formatting disappears and everything is merged into one single paragraph.

I tried this a dozen times, not only today, on Chrome and Firefox. I tried writing code directly by toggling the editor off - I type in the new paragraph, or bold, or hr tags, hit save and they're gone ...

EDIT: This could be something I have done, although I don't remember playing with any article-related settings. I made a fresh installation of Joomla 1.6 B13 on another server (to use for a different website) and the problem does not exist in article editing there.

I have compared all available settings in Options but everything is the same. Please help.

spotya
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Article edit BUG found

Post by spotya » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:51 pm

I'm having the same sort of trouble. If I edit a page through the 'edit article' link, and try to save it, all <br/> tags are removed. There is no trouble editing through the back end. Any assistance would be appreciated..

cheeseus
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by cheeseus » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:00 pm

spotya wrote:I'm having the same sort of trouble. If I edit a page through the 'edit article' link, and try to save it, all <br/> tags are removed. There is no trouble editing through the back end. Any assistance would be appreciated..
My solution was pretty straightforward - I just replaced all Joomla files with a freshly downloaded installation.

I can't say where the problem was exactly. I had first tried replacing all the files of the Editor plugin but that didn't help.

FitzBeck
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Article edit BUG found - SOLVED

Post by FitzBeck » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:39 pm

Hi All

similar problem here. My beta 14 version has been working well, but suddenly for no reason i can determine the editor began to lose all html formatting simply wrapping all text in a single <p> tag.

Replacing the beta 14 files with fresh versions (but keeping existing DB) as described above doesn't resolve my problem

I have now upgraded to a beta 15 version but the problem remains (using the same DB)

The problem seems to be coming from the core - not any specific editor as the same thing happens with Tiny MCE editor and when no Editor selected in the admin Global Configuration.

I've also now created a clean install of beta 15 ... which doesn't have this bug. So i'm wondering does this mean the bug is in the database?

Perhaps it is triggered somehow ... as my beta 14 version was working fine ... up to a certain point when it just broke .. perhaps that will also happen to the fresh install overtime as well?

Hmm. I'm stumped.

I found an entry in the 1.6 bug tracker ... i fixed this by going to the Article Manager > Options > text Filter > Then changed 'Blacklist' to 'no filter'.

it seems that system was set to strip out any html here ...

cheeseus
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Article edit BUG found - SOLVED

Post by cheeseus » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:03 pm

FitzBeck wrote:
I found an entry in the 1.6 bug tracker ... i fixed this by going to the Article Manager > Options > text Filter > Then changed 'Blacklist' to 'no filter'.

it seems that system was set to strip out any html here ...
Interesting solution. Never touched any of these settings. For me, it worked - as I mentioned above - just by replacing all files, no changes to the DB.

Good to hear you've resolved it!

In Beta 15, another bug I encountered earlier is resolved, again to do with the Article Editor - Authors/Editors/Publishers were denied access when trying to use the Insert Image functionality from the Image button.

phrygius
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by phrygius » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:47 pm

I am at beta 15, and overwriting the Joomla files did NOT fix the problem.

For me, the problem was introduced by upgrading to beta 15. I hadn't experienced it before that.

phrygius
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by phrygius » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:48 pm

An update:

I upgraded to RC1 and this is still an issue. Database related perhaps?

phrygius
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by phrygius » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:42 pm

phrygius wrote:An update:

I upgraded to RC1 and this is still an issue. Database related perhaps?
This definitely seems to be database related...

I created an entirely new install of RC1, tested out the article editing, and everything worked upon saving.

Then, I emptied the newly installed database, and copied over the data from my old install. Immediately I saw the same problem.

Anybody aware of the DB changes from beta 13 to 14 that affect article editing?

EDIT: Just to be sure, I just switched back and forth between my custom template and Beez, and the problem persisted.

WME
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by WME » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:38 am

Had exactly the same problem, and switching the filter type in article manager parameters from whitelist to blacklist fixed it....
However now my whitelisted tags and attributes don't work anymore - logically so :(
Please read the Forum rules regarding signatures: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=65

Return to “Joomla! 1.6 RC Support [closed]”