Featured article order

This board for support questions on Joomla 1.6 RC (= Release Candidate - which should NOT be used on a production server) is NO longer active because Joomla 1.6.0 has been released.

>> For Joomla! 1.6 Support Questions, please use http://forum.joomla.org/viewforum.php?f=614 instead <<
webnuke
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Featured article order

Post by webnuke » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:36 am

Hi, I am still trying to get used to the changes within 1.6 and I have not been able to find out how to change or set the order in which the featured articles appear on the front page. 1.5 used to have the up down arrows or the ability to re-number the order. I am sure that I have probably just missed where this function has been moved to. I will keep looking, but hopefully some kind soul will help me out before then!

webnuke
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Featured article order

Post by webnuke » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:41 am

Ok so the first sign of madness is when you talk to yourself so here I go. I have noticed that the drop down arrows and ordering change function did not appear until I clicked the link to to change the sort order. How strange! not sure if this is what was supposed to happen or is a minor bug. However job done!

deleted user

Post by deleted user » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:51 pm

The ordering functionality is intended to be just as you described. Designed so that you weren't trying to manipulate ordering and be in a sort where you screw up all sorts of stuff accidentally.

Off the top of my head, IIRC, the change here from 1.5 is that the default sorting is by article title in 16 while 1.5 sorts on Section but also has the ordering column's functionality active.

webnuke
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by webnuke » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:05 pm

Thanks for the reply, I will make a note of the default order for my future reference.

BR

pcflip
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pcflip » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:18 pm

okay so I took the following steps.

1. Go to your Joomla 1.6 administrator backend.
2. Click on ‘Content’, ‘Featured Articles’, look at the right side and click on the ‘Options’ button.
3. In the “Article Manager Options”, go to the tab “Blog/Featured Layouts”
4. Change Dropdown labeled “Category Order” = “No order” (Thanks to Nils for the update)
5. Change Dropdown labeled “Article Order” = “ordering”.
6. Save your article manager options.

This is to activate the ability to edit the numbers in the “Ordering” column to change the ordering of your articles, it does not allow you to make any changes yet. Don’t forget this important step:

7. Click on the column title ‘ Ordering’

This will actually make the text boxes editable and you can numerically position your articles as you want them to appear. If you only have 5 articles published and featured, Position ’1′ means it will be the first article at the top and position ’5′ will be the last or very bottom article on your Joomla 1.6 website.

8. Change ordering number in the “ordering” column.
9. Once done, you will see a little save icon beside the ‘Ordering’ title.
10. Click the little save button.

As instructed however I can change the order and yet nothing changes, the article I want to be first and at the top always goes in the middle even though the ordering number for it is 1. Is there a known bug on this or am I do something wrong? I am brand new to the world of Joomla only been using it now for about two months and still learning the ends and out so sorry if this is a dumb question.

concreteseller
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by concreteseller » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:57 pm

Try going to your home menu item or whatever default page your menu items point to. Set the ordering there also. ... Menu,main menu,Home from admin
John Mack
http://www.lowestbidder.net
Rule 62
Get Over Yourself

JulSal
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JulSal » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:01 pm

pcflip wrote: As instructed however I can change the order and yet nothing changes, the article I want to be first and at the top always goes in the middle even though the ordering number for it is 1. Is there a known bug on this or am I do something wrong? I am brand new to the world of Joomla only been using it now for about two months and still learning the ends and out so sorry if this is a dumb question.
Hi! Have you solved your problem? I get the exact same issue. I have tried everything!
If you have solved it, could you please tell me how?

thanks

pcflip
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pcflip » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:34 pm

JulSal wrote:
pcflip wrote: As instructed however I can change the order and yet nothing changes, the article I want to be first and at the top always goes in the middle even though the ordering number for it is 1. Is there a known bug on this or am I do something wrong? I am brand new to the world of Joomla only been using it now for about two months and still learning the ends and out so sorry if this is a dumb question.
Hi! Have you solved your problem? I get the exact same issue. I have tried everything!
If you have solved it, could you please tell me how?

thanks
ya some people said that when J1.6.2 comes out that the problem would be fixed but I updated to that and no not yet still having issues so my next step is to go to the SVN and try out the latest unoffical release and see if that works, only risk is breaking the site so when I get around to that I will let you know.

JulSal
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JulSal » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:44 am

Thanks pcflip.

pcflip
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pcflip » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:12 pm

okay so far, updating to Joomla 1.6.2 did not fix the problem, I then saw that Joomla 1.6.3 is out through the joomla update so I installed 1.6.3 but the problem is still there, so now I will go on to trying the latest SVN release.

Return to “Joomla! 1.6 RC Support [closed]”