CAPTCHA

This board for support questions on Joomla 1.6 RC (= Release Candidate - which should NOT be used on a production server) is NO longer active because Joomla 1.6.0 has been released.

>> For Joomla! 1.6 Support Questions, please use http://forum.joomla.org/viewforum.php?f=614 instead <<
Sevarin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

CAPTCHA

Post by Sevarin » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:07 pm

Hi folks,

I read somewhere that Joomla 1.6 will have a built in CAPTCHA system. I installed version 1.6 RC1 but can't find a setting for this anywhere. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

mbabker
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: CAPTCHA

Post by mbabker » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:49 pm

It may have been intended at one point, but it didn't make it in before the feature freeze.

Sevarin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sevarin » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:56 pm

Ah, ok. At least I feel less stupid now... lol

Thanks.

It would be a great add-on though. I had over 50 bot sign-ups in 2 days. It's really aggravating.

JGZimmerle
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JGZimmerle » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:50 pm

This is a joke, right? It is the year 2011! For years almost every serious piece of web site software has had built-in captcha support, or even a standardised captcha-plugin-interface with many different captcha-plugins to choose from. The current patchwork of joomla captcha extensions is an embarassment to this community.

Sevarin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sevarin » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:38 pm

While I do understand your frustration, you have to keep in mind that 1.6 is still in RC state. I can't really blame the makers of any extension to wait until 1.6 is in release state. There still could be changes made to the software.

I'm keeping my hopes high that the final release (or shortly there after) will come with some kind of CAPTCHA though. It is pretty much standard, like you said.

JGZimmerle
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JGZimmerle » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:51 am

Well, the problem is that with a software which is as widely used as Joomla, the spammers will put in some serious effort to break any anti–spam measures which come with a standard installation. So simply adding a CAPTCHA to Joomla will not help much, what we need is a standard interface between Joomla/extensions and CAPTCHA plug-ins. This way every user could install one of hopefully a few dozen available CAPTCHA plug-ins and it would automatically be used by any front end forms of Joomla and Joomla extensions.

If this standard interface is added after the initial release of 1.6, it will be much harder for users to identify Joomla extensions that support such a new CAPTCHA system, unless an additional "Joomla CAPTCHA plug-ins compatible" icon were added to such extensions' entries on the Joomla extensions directory.

red2678
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by red2678 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:01 pm

This is a joke, right? It is the year 2011! For years almost every serious piece of web site software has had built-in captcha support, or even a standardised captcha-plugin-interface with many different captcha-plugins to choose from. The current patchwork of joomla captcha extensions is an embarassment to this community.
I totally agree with you. I have to hack all of my installs to add CAPTCHA.

lesdelc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lesdelc » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

JGZimmerle has a valid point! CAPTCHA is a necessity these days. I am also hacking my install. Perhaps on the next release. However there are many great features in Joomla 1.6.

FnF
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by FnF » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:11 pm

Wow, I'm a bit set back myself.
While I do love the new J1.6 so far, plans to add captcha to it has been discussed for years.
Seems kind of disheartening that there is nothing.

I used to use Walter Cedrics Security images, very easy to use, it's clean and effective. I guess I'll have to hack my installs too. :-\

jotiprokash
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by jotiprokash » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:04 pm

thanks for share
http://www.jotiprokash.com << JotiProkash.com
http://RangpurLive.com << RangpurLive.com

Return to “Joomla! 1.6 RC Support [closed]”