Journaling/Diary Component?

General questions relating to Joomla! 2.5. Note: All 1.6 and 1.7 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 2.5. There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
spindoc
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Journaling/Diary Component?

Post by spindoc » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:14 pm

Does anyone know of a component that will allow users to login, add a journal/diary/blog entry that is only viewable to them and admins?

I'm in need of something where users can have their own private journal that they can add entries to that only they can see, and admins can review and give feedback on.

Gany
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Journaling/Diary Component?

Post by Gany » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:19 am

You can do that within Joomla itself, by setting the user-rights or by creating a group with special privileges.

spindoc
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by spindoc » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:23 pm

Ive thought of that but I'm not sure how exactly to do that. How can you set it to person a adds a content item but only person a and admin can see it, and person b can see their own content, but not person a's AND not see all the other content added to the site? This is a front end deal I'm looking for, not back end. This is for users not admins.

peterself
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by peterself » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:12 pm

Hi - i wonder if you ever resolved this requirement? I have exactly the same need and can't find anything that gives this functionality.

jameselvidge
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jameselvidge » Thu May 05, 2016 5:36 pm

Did you ever find out how to set the user settings so only user and admin can see their content?

knutsir
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by knutsir » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:27 pm

Hi,
I solved a similar issue by doing it this way:
1. Go to Users-Groups and create a new user group containing the users you want to be able to see the journal/diary
2. Go to Access Levels and create a new access level where only the new user group you just created has access
3. Now when you create articles, you can choose the new group in the Access field. The article will now be accessible only for the users in your new group.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 2.5”