Usage of cache can be inhibited only by reloading the url Topic is solved

General questions relating to Joomla! 2.5. Note: All 1.6 and 1.7 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 2.5. There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
riffraff666
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Usage of cache can be inhibited only by reloading the url

Post by riffraff666 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:22 pm

waarnemer wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:26 pm
So in order to solve your current issue (since it cannot be solved by upgrading according to you) did you check your caching settings (site, server, cloudflare)?
I disabled every remote caching level:
- Cloudflare caching is set in developer mode
- System cache plugin of joomla is disabled
- Caching is disabled in Joomla global configuration panel
The problem still happens.

Then after reproducing the problem I cleared the browser caching, and in this way the menus are correctly loaded. So the point is that I should cause the cache validity to expire when the user does login or logout, to convince the browser to reload the page. That is, exactly what I wrote in my original post.
Any ideas to do that?

riffraff666
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by riffraff666 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:25 pm

waarnemer wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:26 pm
So in order to solve your current issue (since it cannot be solved by upgrading according to you) did you check your caching settings (site, server, cloudflare)?
I disabled every remote caching level:
- Cloudflare caching is set in developer mode
- System cache plugin of joomla is disabled
- Caching is disabled in Joomla global configuration panel
The problem still happens.

Then after reproducing the problem I cleared the browser caching, and in this way the menus are correctly loaded. So the point is that I should cause the cache validity to expire when the user does login or logout, to convince the browser to reload the page. That is, exactly what I wrote in my original post.
Any ideas to do that?

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by waarnemer » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:47 pm

Then there still is some other "tech" that adds a later date expiry.
If you don't set anything, by default there is no expiry in a j! site other than 17 august 2005.

1. in cloudflare developer mode, check response headers for cf traces, if they are there, "grey-cloud" your site in the DNS settings. Set to respect headers and no query params... turn off developer mode - Clear cf cache, browser cache and check again.
2. in .htaccess check bottom for expiry rules.... remove them. clear caches, check again.
3. in apache config, check for default expiry rules - depends on your distro where to find them - comment them out - clear caches, check again
4. in hosts file........
5. check your server for alternative caching mechanisms, disable.........
6. walk through any of your extensions, components, modules, plugins for settings that could relate to cache....
7. scavange all code for traces of cache.. tedious.....
8. .....

riffraff666
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by riffraff666 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:15 pm

https://joomla.digital-peak.com/blog/18 ... ed-to-know
You do not have to upgrade your Joomla installation to 3.x if you don’t want to, as long as you remain up-to-date about any security vulnerabilities that might crop up afterwards, and you can use unofficial patches to keep your system secure.
If a vulnerability is discovered in the Joomla 2.5 branches of our products then we will create releases with a fix and you will be informed through our newsletter. So be sure that your E-Mail address on your joomla.digital-peak.com account is valid!!
@waarnemer
@Webdongle
@toivo

Any comment?

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by waarnemer » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:29 pm

You decide to quote from a third party extensions provider?
Digital Peak (joomla.digital-peak.com) is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Joomla! Project. It is not supported or warranted by the Joomla! Project or Open Source Matters.
The part you quote:
If a vulnerability is discovered in the Joomla 2.5 branches of our products then we will create releases with a fix
Means their products... NOT joomla 2.5.x

A little bit higher on the same page:
The strategy of Digital Peak
In the interests of full and public disclosure, here is how Digital Peak will be handling Joomla 2.5’s EOL. We will continue to support v2.5 on DPCalendar 4.2.x and GAnalytics 3.2.x (the last branch that can be installed on v2.5) through March 2015, giving you that time to migrate to Joomla 3.x with all the support resources available to help you out. So what does support mean on that versions? We will provide bug fix releases till March 2015 when the next major major version 5 of DPCalendar is planed. Till then the branch 4.2 should be pretty stable on Joomla 2.5. For sure we will accept also support cases on our case management system. After June 2015 (which is a half year after the end of life) we will REFUSE support on Joomla 2.5 installations. Means cases on our support platform which belong to a Joomla 2.5 web site will be closed immediately.
from the bottom:
How to migrate to Joomla 3
For more information on how and why to migrate your site to the latest version of Joomla, visit their https://docs.joomla.org/Why_Migrate page. If you migrate your web site to Joomla 3 then there is no special actions required to update our extensions. They should work as before. If you did some template overrides then you need to adapt them as well. But you have to create a new template anyway. The best thing would be completely remove all template overrides during the upgrade and them move them back piece by piece.
My comment.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:43 pm

echo @waarnemer

my comment
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results": Albert Einstein

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:57 am

Agree with @waarnemer and @Webdongle. The article was written almost five years ago.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:47 am

I probably should stay clear of this topic; I usually don't post on topics relating to outdated and unsupported versions of J! but I would like to offer a few observations.

Before this topic is completely derailed with a he-says-she-says debate, there is nothing essentially wrong with using outdated, unsupported software to operate a website. It's a matter of personal choice. Further, if the website continues to provide benefits to the site owner and their customers, who are we to dispute this?

There's also nothing basically wrong with using outdated, unsupported versions of PHP—to the extent that the webhosting provider continues to make such software available—but it's purely a business decision for webhosting providers to continue providing outdated software for their customers.

There is also nothing essentially wrong with the article—written five years ago—except that the article was written five years ago and a lot changes in that length of time. At the time the article was written, the suggestion that "[one does] not have to upgrade your Joomla installation to 3.x if you don’t want to"" is reasonable, I suppose. One does not have to do anything if one does not want to. I don't have to comment on this discussion but, for what it's worth, I'm doing so, anyway.

Some technical discussion forums offer better advice than others, especially when it comes to advising people about how to continue to use outdated, unsupported software. People are free to choose where they obtain advice.

I don't use J! 2.5 (or previous versions of J!) and I haven't used them for a lot longer than five years. It's just not something I'm interested in doing. However, I am concerned about the way that some people—those who continue to use outdated versions of J!—are often treated by members of this forum community. Although the conventional wisdom is to not use J! 2.5, it's not our job to pressure people into doing something that they're (a) not willing to do, (b) unprepared for, or (c) not interested in doing.

Getting back to the original problem about caching: if caching is a problem then don't use it. The benefits of server side caching are minimal but the problems they cause may outweigh those benefits. I would suggest searching Google for "To cache or not to cache?" and see what other commentators have to say in this regard.

Best wishes 8)
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

riffraff666
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by riffraff666 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:16 am

Webdongle wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:22 pm
Your website doesn't work. You need to update. There is no quick fix.
It took 30 sec to edit and fix the .htaccess.
Now it works wonderfully. LOL

riffraff666
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by riffraff666 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:48 am

sozzled wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:47 am
I am concerned about the way that some people—those who continue to use outdated versions of J!—are often treated by members of this forum community. Although the conventional wisdom is to not use J! 2.5, it's not our job to pressure people into doing something that they're (a) not willing to do, (b) unprepared for, or (c) not interested in doing.
:) Dear friend, I appreciate very much your authoritative, sober and sensible intervention, which should be taken as example by other users of the forum, and which I have requested and waited in vain from the person who was in charge to do it :( . And I take the chance to reassure the users of my website, in case they should read some misleading and threatening statements in this thread, that the security of my website is out of question. Among others, we don't store any payment information, and before doing the payment the customers are redirected to secure 3rd party processor servers, which doesn't have any relation with the Joomla version of my website.

sozzled wrote:
Getting back to the original problem about caching: if caching is a problem then don't use it. The benefits of server side caching are minimal but the problems they cause may outweigh those benefits. I would suggest searching Google for "To cache or not to cache?" and see what other commentators have to say in this regard.
Yes, I confirm that the "cache or not to cache" question is a very tricky matter. The tread off between server optimization and user experience is very difficult, when a website becomes very popular or is heavily crawled by BOTs. In the specific case, as another user helped me to discover, it was due to a setting in the .htaccess file, which caused the web pages to be loaded from the browser cache in the computer instead of from the server. I have fixed it and now the problem is solved. Actually, the issue didn't have anything to do with Joomla version. Even more: it didn't have anything at all to do with Joomla. My mistake was that I didn't understand it, and I choose to post in this forum instead of an Apache - related or similar forum.

Nevertheless we achieved the solution, which I hope can be useful for other persons, if they will have the patience to read this thread and distinguish the valuable information from the personal attacks and the unverified / misleading statements.

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:58 am

Thank you, @riffraff666 8)
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by waarnemer » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:24 am

sozzled wrote:
...there is nothing essentially wrong with using outdated, unsupported software to operate a website.
Yes it is wrong...

Simply because this software has known vulnerabilities (see https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerabilit ... .5.28.html).

Out of responsibility you update and upgrade.
to avoid harm done on your visitors.. ie. I will leave you malicious advertisement
to avoid harm done on your customers (ie. I will steal your customer data)
to avoid harm done on your fellow site owners on the same host (ie. blocking your ip will also block others)
to avoid harm done by installing malicious code (ie. start a spam campaign from your server)
to avoid....

This responsibility is considered very important if not most important by the developers and teams behind Joomla!.. one may say there are a lot of patches, updates and upgrades... but imho that is good. It shows the effort and persistence in keeping Joomla! safe and secure. Upto the site owners to join this effort and persistence in keeping the web safe.

So no, nothing in any state law you think? Well hell.. there is... for sure here in EU zone.. but any country that has interest in digital security for its inhabitants will have some law they can use to hunt you for some responsibility on any harm done... else your insurance company will smack it into your face and leave you to suffer...

Then why is there a forum on EOL versions? IMO to share information, avoiding it gets lost, and to provide all information to be able to upgrade to the latest stable version.
Extensions gone AWOL... up to the creators of those extensions. We can try to help, but not guarantee a solution. Yes and pretty much all replies will be accompanied with: You need to upgrade/update asap.

Your updates and upgrades in the end keep us, and yes indeed also me, safe.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 2.5”