Can only edit an article once?

General questions relating to Joomla! 2.5. Note: All 1.6 and 1.7 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 2.5. There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
FrankieX
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Can only edit an article once?

Post by FrankieX » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:48 pm

I am very new to joomla and not very technical. The problem I am having with 1.6 is that when I edit any item (for example an article) I can edit it once. When I return to the article for a second time I get a error message "You are not permitted to use that link to directly access that page(#2)". The number at end of message varies depending on the item being edited for the second time. The problem seems to be time dependant? If I return to the admin the next day I can again edit an item but again just once then on next attempt the above error message appears.
Hope someone can help but please dont get too technical. I would like to continue to enjoy working with Joomla 1.6 but this issue has stoped me in my tracks.
Thanks
FrankieX

jzlcdh
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Can only edit an article once?

Post by jzlcdh » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:34 pm

Hmm strange problem. If you figured it out already please post the solution. I wonder whether you are using the "history" in your browser to try to edit the second time? If so maybe make sure the setting in "Global Configuration:Site" for "Search Engine Friendly URLs" is "Yes".

From
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=624&t=589715
it looks like you may be able to get round it by using the "edit" icon.

free-rebel
I've been banned!

Post by free-rebel » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:59 pm

did you try just refresh (F5) site where is it ? I know that is not solution, but I remeber I had something similar in past, I just refresh it and after that it never happend so I did not something.
Try to refresh site or log out and try again to edit that ariticle
- that is only for emergency, that you can maybe continue work on your website while someone give you right solution
I m Rebel ...

evinyatar
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by evinyatar » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:36 am

I have seen this same error when an article doesn't get Checked In. Generally that happens when I am editing articles in multiple tabs and end up closing a tab instead of hitting Close or Save & Close. Also seen this happen when my session expires mid-edit. After I log in it tries to send me back to the page I was on and I get this error.

Check your article list and make sure they don't have a lock icon next to them. At the very least it might help point someone in the right direction.

Unfortunately I can't seem to reproduce the error right now so I'm not 100% sure this is what caused it.

free-rebel
I've been banned!

Post by free-rebel » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:58 am

i m not sure, but it can be something with that ... if I remember good ...
It does not happned always I think ... but sometimes if I open articles in multiple windows ...
I m Rebel ...

obluda
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by obluda » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:21 pm

I have exactly the same problem. I tried to use joomla administration in IE, Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. In Firefox is all working fine. In IE and Chrome not - always "You are not permitted to use that link to directly access that page(#..)" error when I try to open some edit window for the second time (template edit, user edit, ...).

grietbroek
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by grietbroek » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:51 am

Same problem here.

It all works fine except for IE 8 en 9. When looking at the url, the url is changing back from the url to open and edit the article to the url for the overview of articles.

After deleting 'temporary internet files' you can open the article again, please any solution?

Joomla 1.6. Btw, on other host, same website works great. Is this an server issue?

josnyan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by josnyan » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:08 am

I have the same problem when i use explore to open my site backend.
but if you use firefox to access backend. there is no such problem.
joomla 1.6 is not very good working with ie

grietbroek
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by grietbroek » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:34 pm

But the strange thing is that this problem only happens on a certain server. When testing on other servers (other hosts) it all works fine. Maybe a combination of little Joomla bug in combination with some server (settings).

alanpedersen
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by alanpedersen » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:40 pm

Can somebody tell me about this how could we solve this .

grietbroek
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by grietbroek » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:39 am

Just interesting, people having this problems, which host are you using? The problem I have right now is on a website using argeweb as host.

lightbots
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by lightbots » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:23 pm

clear the browser cache

grietbroek
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by grietbroek » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:28 pm

Yeah I know, but that's only a solution for 1 second, because it will happen again as soon as you hit the save button...

MariaHuemmer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by MariaHuemmer » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:38 am

I was able to get in by logging out through the logout link, and then logging back in. For good measure, I also clicked all the locks next to the articles (and modules, I had a few there) to make sure that I or another user wasn't locked out of those at a later time. Then I was able to save changes to both the articles and module without an error.

royemi
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by royemi » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:46 pm

Solved 8)
I had same problem and nothing work then i found my solution
here is:
Go to Menu items select ALL Menu (home ,about us etc.) than click "Check in" button next to the unpublish button.
Hope this is help everyone :pop
let me know guys...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ew6014
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ew6014 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:01 am

hi

it still doesnt work... im so irrtated.

it happens to not only in articles but also menu .. it even happens to user manager

the stupid thing just redirects to the view page index.php?option=com_users&view=users

ive tried to switch browser, it worked for a while(few mins) then it happens again. ive tried many times to empty browser cache but still the same issue

this is so frustrating.

is this because its joomla 1.6??

pooks
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by pooks » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:06 pm

I have a similar problem, when I try to save the article, I get loged out of admin back end, when I re-login, I see the lock in the article and this message on top with red letters:

"You are not permitted to use that link to directly access that page (#51)."

Tried to check permissions and they seem right, tried cleanning cache in browsers and site didn't work... try to do article check in and global check in didn't work... I can't find any thing else about this in this forum, I will keep checking, but it would be great to have some one point me in the right direction, thanks in advance!!!

swlabhot
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by swlabhot » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:36 am

Yeah many people including myself are having this issue. Seems to me that its unlikely to be a server or browser issue. I think the developers should look into this as maybe a bug in Joomla 1.6 and 1.7 and fix it before future releases of 1.7.

Its a real shame as this is a great CMS but its becoming unworkable due to these issues. I hope that they will resolve these issues real soon.

mbrsolution
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by mbrsolution » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:00 am

I have had this issue as well and have not had any luck. I am using a wireless dongle and I started thinking that it was the wireless dongle, why I thought that is because every time when I am using ADSL 2X or cable it seems to work nearly all the time except when I use my wireless dongle it starts producing this problem.

I hope someone comes up with a solution, I will keep on investigating and if I come up with some solution I will post it here.

I also want to add, try and use a browser without any plugins and see what happens.

I believe we have to practice patience here for now :eek:

lori_p
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by lori_p » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:11 pm

Hi
Not sure how relevant this is, but I had this issue with the Localise component. I then noticed that there were options, which came down to being parameters to be set for whether I (as an administrator) could configure/access/create/delete/edit/translate/batch items within the component.
I ticked accordingly (in this case edit and translate) and now it seems like I can edit the language files (which is what the component Localise supports) without any problems.
I'll update if the problem manifests again, but perhaps there's something similar on the settings for the other areas, e.g. if you are a member of the 'manager' group has the administrator set the parameter so that you can edit your articles?
Just a thought...
thx
Lori P

mbrsolution
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by mbrsolution » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:38 am

Hello again, I have been doing more research and came across the windows forum and many were having issues with windows 7 SP1 and the browsing experience issue we are having here. That gave me an idea that perhaps it is Windows 7 SP1 that is causing this issue. I have uninstalled Windows 7 SP1 and so far it is proving to be a winner but I will keep doing more test and post here if anything changes.

My specifications are:

Lenovo T61 laptop
Windows 7 Home Premium
Intel Core 2 Duo cpu T7300@ 2.00ghz
3 Gigs of ram
120 g hard disk

Browsers "The latest version for all browsers below except IE"
IE
Firefox
Seamonkey

I hope the above works for you. I have not done any testing on linux or mac.

Kind regards

swlabhot
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by swlabhot » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:37 pm

Not a Windows issue as I'm having it on my Mac!

mbrsolution
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by mbrsolution » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:57 pm

Hello swlabhot, I understand what you mean. However for now it is working for me using Windows 7 Home Premium. So far I have done many test using various browsers and I have been able to edit the articles without any glitches. I will keep on doing more test on Windows 7. I wish you good luck with your Mac system. Unfortunately I don't have Mac's to test it.

Kind regards

swlabhot
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by swlabhot » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:18 pm

I have also tried 4 different browsers of different versions and so far it seems completely random when it happens. Sometimes it would work completely fine and other times the symptoms keeps appearing even tho nothing have changed! This is why this makes it so hard to troubleshoot!

mbrsolution
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by mbrsolution » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:14 pm

Yes I agree with you that it is very challenging to try and work out the issue. It took me 5 days to come up with my theory about windows 7 SP1. To test my theory would you be able to install a test joomla 1.5 version and see if you have the same issue. This would then eliminate the browser issue and or the operating system and state that Joomla 1.7 might have a bug. :eek:

mbrsolution
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by mbrsolution » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:40 pm

Hello I am back with some more testing, please be aware that this might not resolve your problem. After testing all of the above, it was working well without a problem. Then I was asked to update the flash plugin in Firefox and so I did.

The plugin that I had installed was Flash Player 10.3.183.10 none (IE)

Then I updated it to the latest version Flash Player 11.0.1.152 none (IE)

So I started testing and found that the issue came back. It kind of made sense to me, so I uninstalled Flash Player 11.0.1.152 none (IE) and reinstalled Flash Player 10.3.183.10 none (IE) and did some testing. This worked for me but I will keep on testing.

I hope this helps everyone here regardless whether they are using a Mac, Windows or Linux.

Kind regards

crisswaddle
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by crisswaddle » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:13 am

I have the same issue.
My server is a linux box, and the host is very strict with security. On my admin console, in site -> system information -> directory permissions, I notice the temp directory and log directory are not writeable. The path is actually incorrect (it seems to be pointing to the location I had my test). I read somewhere this issue has something to do with the tmp directory being non-writable. I recommend checking that tmp directory is writeable and making it writable. If this helps, please respond to this to confirm - didn't work for me tho.

crisswaddle
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by crisswaddle » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:46 pm

This does not happen in Firefox. Happens in IE, Safari and Chrome. Why?

mbrsolution
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by mbrsolution » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:53 pm

Try and follow my steps above and see if this helps you.

patriciabr
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by patriciabr » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:51 pm

Hi there,

I don't know if you guys are still having trouble with this issue, but I was facing the same problem here and just found the solution. I'm using Joomla 1.7.2. In the top menu I chose Site > Maintenance > Global Check In. You'll see a list with several database tables - select them all and them click "Check In". Now you can go to the Article Manager (or Category Manager, in my case) and you won't see that lock beside the article again. Voilá :)

I hope this can be useful to someone.

Greetings from Brazil,
--Patricia

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 2.5”