migrating from localhost to server

General questions relating to Joomla! 2.5. Note: All 1.6 and 1.7 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 2.5. There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
ArjanR
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

migrating from localhost to server

Post by ArjanR » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:46 am

Hi everyone.

I'v been sitting here many hours (16) trying to get my first joomla online. I'v used the localhost method for a couple of weeks and newly got a domain and registration info etc. The webhotel has helped me a lot so far but now i'm stuck (with a headache).

We succeeded in uploading all my joomla files but all i got was a clean default joomla installation. Without the work I put into it. As I understand it I have not uploaded the database. I don't even know where to find my database, let alone how to upload it. There is a lot of info out there but it's not helping me enough unfortunately..

The site http://www.theeightteam.com is as it is now.

Isn't there an easy way for a newbie to all of this. I consider myself normal smart but it just feels to complicated...

/Arjan
Last edited by ArjanR on Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: migrating from localhost to server

Post by imanickam » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:49 pm

Where have you uploaded your Joomla! site files? Is your domain is pointing to the location where you have uploaded the files?

As for as the database is concerned, it varies between host services. So their document is the best place to understand how the database is setup.

You could transfer your site developed in Joomla! from localhost to a remote host by the following ways.

(i) Use the extension Akeeba Backup Core (http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... ackup/1606) to backup your site including the database. You have to transfer the archive file created by Akeeba Backup Core to your remote host and use the kickstart.php script file (created by Akeeba Backup Core developers) to restore the site.

(ii) Use the manual process. Review the document http://docs.joomla.org/How_do_you_copy_ ... te_host%3F for more information.

Note: In both the cases, you have to create a new database on the remote host, create a user for the database, grant all privileges to the user for connecting to it.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Translations Coordination Team | Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team

Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

ArjanR
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ArjanR » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:22 pm

Thx for replying!

I think the one thing is that I don't know how to create a database on my host. They explain it to me like: Export your database in SQL file in your local server And import it to phpmyadmin, Just export only the database tables.
But that's to complicated. I don't even know where my database is on my pc!! I'm not so technical although i can write my own css and html ;) . But databases are beyound me :'( .

It's the first time for me to upload joomla, i've uploaded by ftp before with websites without database.

/Arjan

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:35 pm

For exporting the database in your PC, access/invoke the utility/application phpMyAdmin. With this you can export the database content.

That is why I suggested using extension such as Akeeba. These extensions automatically exporting the in addition to taking a back-up of the files.

As for as creating a database in the remote host, you have to read the documentation of your host services as the system of creating database varies from one host to another.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Translations Coordination Team | Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team

Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

ArjanR
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ArjanR » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:53 pm

thx again for shown interest!

I've done some hard working :eek: and succeeded in making an sql file according to the instructions of the hyperlink you gave me. I had to do some changing at the beginning with the UTF but could import it succesfully to the server. Thing is, it didn't change anything. I still get only a clean default install of joomla without all the work I did.

I will check out Akeeba but must say that after all this hassle i will install joomla first on a server furtheron and will not work locally anymore although that means that i have to be connected all the time while working on the website...Even when looking at akeeba there is a huge pdf instruction file. It's a bit disheartening...

/Arjan

ArjanR
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ArjanR » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:15 pm

Here I am again and now I'm happy :D . I have to recommend everyone who has the same question about how to get the stuff from your localhost to the server to use Akeeba backup + kickstart as mentioned before.
It takes a while to read all the info etc, not at least to understand and I still think it should be easier from the start when you're working with joomla like an option within joomla which says: Do you want to upload to a server? but it worked fluently when i tried it just a moment ago.
You can't imagine the anguish I felt when i came to the final step which said: view your site or go to the backend. I hesitated quite a while there knowing that after clicking it i would either be close to a suicide or the luckiest guy around. Guess what ;) akeeba made my day!

/Arjan

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 2.5”