JCE Editor Front End

General questions relating to Joomla! 2.5. Note: All 1.6 and 1.7 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 2.5. There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
shaoen01
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

JCE Editor Front End

Post by shaoen01 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:47 am

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has managed to configure JCE Editor for front end users. This is for mainly users of my component that needs to submit a description. But for the image uploading, i do not want them to be able to select pictures from my Joomla in the back end. Probably just include URL links only.

I tried to remove certain icons but no luck doing so. If anyone has encountered this and willing to share, it will be very much appreciated! Thanks all!

vidurb
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: JCE Editor Front End

Post by vidurb » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:25 am

In the JCE Adminstration have you been to editor profiles > Front End > Setup > Assignment > Select your groups here

Features > Additional features > uncheck media support
Editor Parameters > File System> Allow Root Access > No and also check restricted directories and have your images folder mentioned
Plugin Parameters > File Browser > Permissions > Upload > No
Plugin Parameters > Image Manager > Hide Joomla! Image Button > Yes
Plugin Parameters > Image Manager > Permissions > Upload > No

Whew!! Hopefully this should do it :)
Vidur Bharany :geek:
Adwiz Digital
http://www.adwiz.in

shaoen01
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by shaoen01 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:19 am

Thanks for the response. I did try to play around, but no luck. I will try your suggestions and let you know if i manage to get it right. Thanks again!

shaoen01
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by shaoen01 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:07 pm

Hi,
Plugin Parameters > File Browser > Permissions > Upload > No
I can't find the setting above. I am using version 2.0.21.

When i click to insert image, i can still navigate to my Joomla root folder. I am hosting it localhost for now, is that why it is affected? Thanks!

vidurb
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by vidurb » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:48 pm

You only need to be concerned if it opens directly into your joomla images foler. If it does not and you navigate through your local machine and then reach the joomla installation folder, then that means once your site is live, people will open their own machine folders and not your site (as it will be on a server)

JCE Administration > Global Configuration > Editor Profiles > Front End > Plugin Paramters > File Browser > Permissions

and also change the upload size on this page to 0 (as an extra precaution)
Adwiz Digital

shaoen01
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by shaoen01 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:24 pm

vidurb wrote:You only need to be concerned if it opens directly into your joomla images foler. If it does not and you navigate through your local machine and then reach the joomla installation folder, then that means once your site is live, people will open their own machine folders and not your site (as it will be on a server)
When i click on it, it opens right at my joomla images folder.
JCE Administration > Global Configuration > Editor Profiles > Front End > Plugin Paramters > File Browser > Permissions
Don't mean to sound irritating, but there is no File Browser selection on my end. On Plugin Parameters, there are 3 categories: Standard Parameters, Default Values and Permissions.

In Permissions, i set upload=No but the image icon still opens in my Joomla images folder.

I added a screenshot, so you can see better from my end.
and also change the upload size on this page to 0 (as an extra precaution)
[/quote]
Did this already.

vidurb
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by vidurb » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:52 am

Ok... here's a workaround... though not sure if this is teh result you are looking for.

In your Joomla Installation root create a folder with the name of "blank"

Now in your Joomla Backend Go to
COmponents > JCE Administration Editor Profiles > Front End > Setup > Assignment > User Group > Select Registered and Publisher (I'm assuming that those are the groups that a user who is to use the front-end editor will belong to)

Next

Go to the Editor Parameters Tab > File System > File Directory Path > type in "blank" here

Save and Test.
Adwiz Digital

shaoen01
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by shaoen01 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:19 am

Hi vidurb,

Thanks for your response. I was looking more to when a user clicks on the image icon, they will be able to navigate to their own pictures and insert it into the editor.

By adding the "blank", the user does not see my root directory, but he/she is unable to navigate to his/her own pictures on their local disk.

The main purpose would be to let users insert their own pictures.

I think if unable to allow the user to navigate to his/her own local disk, then i would rather remove the file browser below.

mikhailyand
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mikhailyand » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:11 am

How can I disable browse links tree for a "default" user group in JCE.
Otherwise, ordinary users see in the editor all of my menu items.

Look this screenshot:

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 2.5”