RSFirewall versus Akeeba's AdminTools Pro

General questions relating to Joomla! 2.5. Note: All 1.6 and 1.7 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 2.5. There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
tappy52dog
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

RSFirewall versus Akeeba's AdminTools Pro

Post by tappy52dog » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:36 pm

Hi, as my forum and classifieds site has grown, I'm getting about 20,000 unknown and bad bots hitting my site a day (yuck).. I have done a lot to take this down some via using the robot.txt file to block all bots except for Google, Yahoo, and MSN, and also creating a "bot trap" of other bots that disobey (and logs the ip if they disregard the robot.txt file).. I've also done a lot to the .htaccess file to block bad bots, spiders, and even large IP pools.. Increased registration difficulty with automated bots throguht enhanced captcha and mathematical questions to help prevent spam sign-ups.

I want to improve security more though.. It's 2013 now and I haven't seen any recent comparisons. I'm curious which is better or offers the most security? Anyone tried both?

Marcus Stafford
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: RSFirewall versus Akeeba's AdminTools Pro

Post by Marcus Stafford » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:58 am

RSFirewall is very good and stops many attacks in their tracks. It also allows you to easily block countries and ban IP addresses after x number of attempts. You can create a whitelist of allowed addresses and a blacklist of banned ones.

If you are getting this level of activity you should also look at some kind of server firewall as there will be many attempts to access the hosting account as well.

Remember - security isn't a piece of software, it's a mindset.
Joomla! Managed Hosting, Web Design, Hack Repairs and Consulting ~ https://www.wintercorn.com

CyrusXxX
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by CyrusXxX » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:21 am

Here is fresh comparassion between RSFirewall! and Akeeba Admin tools Pro.
Thanks to that author I was able to decide what to use.

It might help you:
https://regenesiscomputers.com/en/news/ ... compassion

Cheers!

Marcus Stafford
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Marcus Stafford » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:01 am

I would like to update this and say we've moved over to Admin Tools Pro completely. It's a little more sensitive and requires more config, but gives greater granular control over the sites security.
Joomla! Managed Hosting, Web Design, Hack Repairs and Consulting ~ https://www.wintercorn.com

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 2.5”