Google turning off reCaptcha V1, what to do?

General questions relating to Joomla! 2.5. Note: All 1.6 and 1.7 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 2.5. There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Post Reply
telacc
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:33 pm

Google turning off reCaptcha V1, what to do?

Post by telacc » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:24 pm

So,

I got this email from Google:
You are receiving this email because you are registered as a website administrator using reCAPTCHA, and your website is still using reCAPTCHA v1, which will be turned off on March 31, 2018.....
My page runs on Joomla! 2.5.9 and currently supports only reCAPTCHA V1. Keys I generated for V2 won't work.
I use reCAPTCHA only on one contact form.

Is there a solution to implement reCAPTCHA V2 to Joomla! 2.5.9.?

For all the answers I thank you in advance.

BR
Matt

User avatar
sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion
Posts: 5627
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:30 am
Location: Canberra, Australia
Contact:

Re: Google turning off reCaptcha V1, what to do?

Post by sozzled » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:38 pm

telacc wrote:My page runs on Joomla! 2.5.9 and currently supports only reCAPTCHA V1
J! 2.5.9 was released in February 2013. J! 2.5 was declared end of life (i.e. no further support, no further updates) at J! 2.5.28 as of 31 December 2014. You are therefore using a version of Joomla 2.5—itself outdated, vulnerable and unsupported—that is already 19 versions outdated for that series.

What would you like us to do to help you with your problems?
telacc wrote:Keys I generated for [Google reCAPTCHA] V2 won't work.
That's correct. There is no "solution" to implement Google reCAPTCHA v2 with J! 2.5.9; support for Google reCAPTCHA v2 was implemented in J! 3.x.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

telacc
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:33 pm

Re: Google turning off reCaptcha V1, what to do?

Post by telacc » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:25 am

Hello,

Thank you for you response. I researched all the details and I know facts you wrote. I am certain there are a lot of websites running on 2.x versions and facing the reCaptcha "problem".

Regarding a solution I meant is there someone who will see a business opportunity in this event and develop some sort of solution. Just looking for potential short term options. Mid-term there is a plan for site/version upgrade.

Best regards
Matt.

User avatar
mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 14694
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:56 am
Location: The Girly Side of Joomla in Sussex

Re: Google turning off reCaptcha V1, what to do?

Post by mandville » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:13 am

your solution is to either spend the "money" upgrading NOW , or to stick your finger in the dyke and hope it stays long enough for you to find some other solution, or ask google to not switch of recaptcha 1 so that you can continue running your out of date, hackable / hacked version of joomla.
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

User avatar
sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion
Posts: 5627
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:30 am
Location: Canberra, Australia
Contact:

Re: Google turning off reCaptcha V1, what to do?

Post by sozzled » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:19 am

telacc wrote:I researched all the details and I know facts you wrote.
Then you're also aware that there isn't a "solution" for J! 2.5.
telacc wrote:I am certain there are a lot of websites running on [Joomla] 2.5 versions ...
How are you certain of this? Where is your evidence?
telacc wrote:I meant is there someone who will see a business opportunity in this event and develop some sort of solution.
There is no " business opportunity" here because there is no future in J! 2.5 (in general) or J! 2.5.9 in particular. Unless you're offering some financial incentive, perhaps ... ?

Just to be clear, I'm not personally interested in assisting with any "short-term" workarounds. If you want Google reCAPTCHA v2, you know what needs to be done. As you wrote, you've researched the details and you know the facts.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?


Post Reply

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 2.5”