Deleting spurious users

General questions relating to Joomla! 2.5. Note: All 1.6 and 1.7 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 2.5. There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
British Lion
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Deleting spurious users

Postby British Lion » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:49 am

Hello,

I am a user and not any sort of Joomla expert!! I am on 2.5, but having a new site built. Right now, I have a problem deleting spurious users from the site - I came across this when I decided to change pws for two admins on the site - I found I had a huge drop down list of spurious users on my drop down list - advice from the host, siteground.com was to delete via php and deleting from dbs - I tried this, but it doesn't work. Here is a message from siteground:

Although our goals are to provide a high-quality hosting environment for Joomla websites, our Technical Support Team is specialized in providing assistance in case your script is not accessible due to a problem with your host server or a vital service running on it. Third-party application-related problems such as deleting most of Joomla users are at times beyond the scope of our expertise.

In order to receive specialized support for your Joomla users problem, we recommend that you contact the large Joomla community at:

https://forum.joomla.org

=========================================================

Please, bearing in mind I am by no means any Joomla expert, how I might do this.

Many thanks, George.

British Lion
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Deleting spurious users

Postby British Lion » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:27 am

Thanks for the reply, but I am nowhere near qualified enough to do these things - neither a web designer or developer - just a user.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Postby Webdongle » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:49 am

If you are "neither a web designer or developer" why are you building websites ?

If it's to learn then the above is easily accomplished with basic techniques used to build a Joomla site.
    File management on the server (like on a PC)
    Installing Joomla
    Installing/uninstalling enabling/disabling Joomla extensions
All of which are needed to install Joomla and build a site using it in the first place. Installing a localhost on your PC is no more difficult than installing other programs on your PC. And using localhost is the same as using a remote host. Editing a file is just editing a file.

In short
If you can install Joomla and create a website you already have the skills needed to update and clean a hacked Joomla site !!!

British Lion
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Postby British Lion » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:27 pm

Where did I say I was building websites???

I have not installed Joomla or built a website.

This is my original posting:

I am a user and not any sort of Joomla expert!! I am on 2.5, but having a new site built. Right now, I have a problem deleting spurious users from the site - I came across this when I decided to change pws for two admins on the site - I found I had a huge drop down list of spurious users on my drop down list - advice from the host, siteground.com was to delete via php and deleting from dbs - I tried this, but it doesn't work. Here is a message from siteground:

Although our goals are to provide a high-quality hosting environment for Joomla websites, our Technical Support Team is specialized in providing assistance in case your script is not accessible due to a problem with your host server or a vital service running on it. Third-party application-related problems such as deleting most of Joomla users are at times beyond the scope of our expertise.

In order to receive specialized support for your Joomla users problem, we recommend that you contact the large Joomla community at:

https://forum.joomla.org

=========================================================

Please, bearing in mind I am by no means any Joomla expert, how I might do this.

Many thanks, George.

toivo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Postby toivo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:04 pm

Users can be removed in the User Manager. If there are hundreds of spurious users, maybe the person or people who are building your new site, hopefully using the latest version of Joomla, know how to clean up the users table in cPanel and phpMy Admin.

Please note that it is possible to require administrators to approve the registrations of new users.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator
my first programs were assembled and run in 16KB :)
troubleshooting smtp and other articles https://talikka.com/joomla

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Postby Webdongle » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:59 pm

British Lion wrote:Where did I say I was building websites???

I have not installed Joomla or built a website....
I will rephrase my question
If you are "neither a web designer or developer" or "not installed Joomla or built a website" ... why are you editing a website's users ?

The instructions in viewtopic.php?f=710&t=956702 are for webmasters that have the ability to install and configure a Joomla site. As you do not have that experience and you have an old site with "spurious users" ... my advice is to treat the site as hacked and get a professional to clean it.

British Lion wrote:... I am on 2.5, but having a new site built. Right now, I have a problem deleting spurious users from the site - I came across this when I decided to change pws for two admins on the site - I found I had a huge drop down list of spurious users on my drop down list ...
If your 2.5 site is hacked and a new site is created on (or transferred to the server) before the 2.5 site has been correctly cleaned then the new site will be compromised.

I am not knocking your lack of experience ... I am telling you that (from my knowledge) your lack of experience is preventing you seeing that removing the "spurious users" may not be enough to solve other problems which may be an underlying cause.

If you do nothing else I suggest you visit https://myjoomla.com/ and get a free scan

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 2.5”