User Access Levels

General questions relating to Joomla! 2.5. Note: All 1.6 and 1.7 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 2.5. There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
AbbCon
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

User Access Levels

Post by AbbCon » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:31 pm

Hi All,
I have been using Joomla for some time now, but never had to use User Access Levels before.
I have created a website about a historic house near me. I have added all the pages I need, for the public to see.
We now have a Support Group for the house to assist in the restoration, and I need support group members to see pages that are not for the public eye.

I have tried setting users to Public and Support Group members to Registered, this works, but then the public users cannot login.
I can make support group members Super Users, but I don’t want them to have that sort of power.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Kenny

sozzled
I've been banned!

Re: User Access Levels

Post by sozzled » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:50 pm

AbbCon wrote:I have tried setting users to Public and Support Group members to Registered, this works, but then the public users cannot login.
Well, no ... that's not what you should do.

Creating ACL groups (and assigning users to those groups) are not very complicated; ACL group permissions are tied to different levels of viewing access.

Registered users (i.e. those who can login to your website) should be members of the Registered group. To be honest, I've never tried reassigning registered users to the Public group (and I'm not sure I would know how to go about doing it, anyway).

What you can do is to create a new ACL group—let's call the new group Support—and make the Support a "child" of the Registered ACL group; in this way, all your users can still login.

The next thing to do is to create what's called a new Viewing Access Level for the members of the Support ACL group. When you have created a new "access view" you can assign menu items to this view; in this way your support group members will be able to access the things they need to see and the public and other registered users will not.

See https://docs.joomla.org/Help38:Users_Access_Levels

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 2.5”