How or Where to Login to Edit the Site

General questions relating to Joomla! 2.5. Note: All 1.6 and 1.7 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 2.5. There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
mosplant
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

How or Where to Login to Edit the Site

Post by mosplant » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:05 am

Hi, I have a website mosplant.com Ive had it for 5 years and havent updated it for at least 4 years, I cant remember how or where to login to edit the site, Joomla rang a bell hence why I ended up on this forum

I think I remember my password but nothing else.

Website was set up by someone else and he is no longer doing webdesign, I have asked for help from him but so far getting nothing back.

a email forwarding system was set up to forward all the emails that go to the website to forward to my hotmail account as I use it more regularly so I dont remember how to get to the original mail server either, I think I had an email from the web designer saved with instructions on how to login and edit my website.

Long shot but thought id ask here in case anyone could offer some help

best regards
Martin
Last edited by imanickam on Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Changed the Subject from "Complete novice, help needed" to reflect the question and Moved the topic from the forum General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x to the forum General Questions/New to Joomla! 2.5

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: How or Where to Login to Edit the Site

Post by imanickam » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:37 am

If you have to log into your site to make changes, you have to use the your-site-url/administrator. This could vary if any third party extension is used to increase the security of the site.

This will show the site's back-end log-in screen. You have to enter the administrator's username and password.
mosplant wrote:a email forwarding system was set up to forward all the emails that go to the website to forward to my hotmail account as I use it more regularly so I dont remember how to get to the original mail server
For this, you may have to get in touch with your service provider whom I think is 1and1. The reason being, you may have to log into the cPanel of your host service account.

Note: Be known that Joomla! 2.5 is no longer supported. The current supported version of Joomla! is 3.8 and the latest version is 3.8.5. So, you have to plan for migrating the site to Joomla! 3.8.5. You could test the environment in a development environment before doing it on a production environment.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 2.5”